Chapter Forty-seven: Last Friday Night

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A day passed without incident. They had helped work the farm and they all learned a lot about how agriculture works and its importance to society. Hyejoo had fun driving the tractor with the fixed plow attached to it. Yerim had fun tending to the crops along with Soojin. After that, they bought snacks and souvenirs at the town center. It was a fun and enjoyable day that went by normally without any incident.

Today was their last day on Sejong and they were set to go back tommorow morning. Jihyo had shown them around the town, visiting various popular spots. They had passed by Jaehee and Jihyo’s high school, luckily the school was open. The two revisited their favorite spots, showing them to their new friends.

“I was separated from Jaehee-ah during our third year, we would always meet up here after school. Then we would go to one of the little restaurants by the corner of the street on the right. We’d have a little snack as we walked home. We would buy popsicles or candy bars, if money was tight, we’d share one.” Jihyo narrated as she showed the group the tree that had been their meeting point for years. Jaehee was assigned to the second-section while Jihyo remained at the first-section. Jaehee studied hard to be reunited with Jihyo for their last year together.

“Oh! That’s the library isn’t it? Remember how we’d hang out inside and study for exams?” Jaehee said pointing up to the school’s main library on the third floor.

“Yeah, but I remember mostly about me trying to wake you up before the grumpy librarian catches us.” Jihyo said.

“Jihan-ah!” Jaehee said, flushed with embarrassment.

“Its cool, I used to do that when I was a high-schooler. Got kicked out plenty of times too.” Jimin said. Indeed the rowdy lady used to be the bane of her school. Like Chaewon, Jimin was an intelligent lady who was quick on her feet as well. She had made history as the first freshman ever to be named as Team Captain of the school’s volleyball varsity team.

However, intelligence was the only common factor that the sisters shared. Chaewon was an aloof, introverted and quiet student. She was the delight of most teachers but her cold and seemingly uncaring personality made her unpopular among her classmates. Most had labelled her to be arrogant but she didn’t mind one bit. Chaewon loved the isolation and this was only subjected to change when she had met Soojin and her friends.

Jimin on the other hand, was the friend of every student on-campus but was disliked by most teachers. She was the darling of the masses with her charisma and intelligence. Sooyoung was once called in by the school principal when Jimin was found out that she was helping her classmates pass difficult subject led by one nefarious teacher. Shaking all of these off, she continued to be adored by the student body. She was even banned at the school library due to her numerous infractions. Some teachers couldn’t even believe that she and Chaewon were sisters.

They were walking down a path towards the back of the school when they had passed by one of Jaehee’s former classmates. One well-known to have a thing for her.

“Hi Jaehee-ah!” The guy greeted. He was Hyunbin, the school’s male volleyball team captain.

Jaehee nodded at the guy. She wasn’t really interested in him but he was persistent which sometimes gets on her nerves.

“I think she’s one of Jaehee’s suitors.” Jihyo whispered to Jimin which caused her to tense up.

“Would you like to play a game of volleyball? If you have the time.” Hyunbin said.

“I not really…” Jaehee said.

“Come on, if I win go out on a date with me.” He insisted.

“I don’t want to.” Jaehee said with a dash of irritation in her voice.

Hyunbin was still persisting Jaehee, coming uncomfortably closer towards her. Hyejoo was going to punch this guy in the face but Jimin lurched forward.

“I’ll play. If I win, leave her alone.” Jimin said challenging him.

The guy smirked arrogantly and accepted the challenge. He thought, what could a girl do? They had went into the volleyball court behind the school main building and got a ball in the sports stock room. The gang was cheering Jimin on. They were all rooting for her, Heejin had a knowing smirk on her face. This guy was gonna get it good.

“I’ll go easy on you girly. This’ll be over quick and me and Jaehee will have a night in the movies together.” Hyunbin said as he served the ball.

The experienced Team Captain easily jumped and sent the ball flying back to Hyunbin’s side of the court. He failed to intercept the ball in time and Jimin had scored. Jimin was leaning forward and eyes full of focus. She was determined to win.

“Jimin-ah hates losing, that guy is going to get his own medicine served to him.” Heejin told the group as they watched in fascination. Jimin was normally cheery and noisy but this time, she was completely serious.

Jimin gave Hyunbin no quarter, sending the ball flying into his side of the court numerous times. He hadn’t scored yet and Jimin was ahead by a massive lead. Soon, only one point was needed to win.

“Why you little!” Hyunbin said as he poured all of his strength into the serve. This was his only chance to score. If Jimin gets one more point, he’d lose.

As the ball lurched towards her, Jimin skillfully intercepted the ball and gave it a powerful smash, sending the ball crashing towards Hyunbin’s chest, knocking him to the ground. The group collectively gasped at what they saw.

Jimin crouched down as she went passed the net and knelt beside Hyunbin.

“Leave. Jaehee. Alone. She doesn’t want to hear your annoying voice and crappy face. If I hear you bugging her again, I’ll come back again. You don’t want that.” Jimin whispered to a Hyunbin writhing in pain.

Jaehee ran to Jimin and gave her a huge hug, allowing herself to be lifted by Jimin’s strong hands.

“My knight in shining armor!” Jaehee said as she hugged her tightly.

“He was really annoying me. Following me around and kept on inviting me to go here and there.” Jaehee said, telling on Hyunbin.

“If he does that again tell me.” Jimin said as she walked back to the group. She saw Chaewon with a proud smile, winking they both went on their way.

The group had exited the school and went to Beartree Park. It was a black bear conservatory and they all wanted to see cute bears crawling around. A mood-changer to wash down the unpleasant encounter with Jaehee’s annoying stalker.

Arriving at the park, they had watched a family of black bears come out of their enclosure. The cubs were teetering quietly behind their mother. All of them found the bears to be incredibly adorable especially Jihyo and Hyewon who were fond of bears. Snapping a few photos and videos of the bear, they had decided to go back as dusk was nearing. They wanted to get ready for their last hurrah in Sejong before the hectic university life comes crawling back.

Yerim, Hyunjin along with Min-yeong had stayed behind earlier to tend to the preparations for the party tonight. By the time they came back, everything was already done thanks to their efforts along with Jihyo’s parents.

“Tell her tonight okay dummy?” Chaewon whispered to Jimin as she switched the car’s engines off.

“I’ll try.” Jimin said nervously.

“Don’t try, do it stupid.” Chaewon retorted back.

“Hey that sorta rhymes!” Jimin said as Chaewon left the car.

They were going to have a small party on the field. Mr. Han had cleared out a spot for them near Jihyo’s old treehouse. The guards had already made a nice spot for a bonfire. The firewood was ready as well as the food. All that’s left was to let the sun set and the party could finally begin.

The group had passed the time goofing off and played games while they waited for nightfall. Meanwhile, Hyunjin was practicing how to walk with Heejin’s assistance. Mr. Han shared a moment with his wife outside on the porch over a cup of tea.

“Our little Jihan has grown up dear.” Mrs. Han told her husband of nearly twenty-five years.

“Indeed. I am glad she had found the right set of friends. Though in all honesty, I wasn’t expecting them to be daughters of high-society.” Mr. Han said chuckling while gesturing to the suited men patrolling the grounds.

“Oh yes dear, I myself was surprised to see them. But they are all so well-mannered and sweet young ladies.”

“Miss Soeun and her sisters are the daughters of the Lotte Corporation’s CEO. They are in a sense our bosses as well dear.”

Mr. Han and his farm supplies Lotte Corporation with corn, rice and other crops to use for their restaurants and resort-hotels. He had learned this fact when he was talking to Dae-woo the other day.

“Really?! Oh my heavens and they worked at the field yesterday!” Mrs. Han said in surprise. She had honestly no idea about the girls’ backgrounds and their bosses’ children had helped in tilling the field.

“Such humble young ladies. You’d think rich kids are a bunch of spoiled brats but look at them, they’re like angels.” Mr. Han said in admiration of Jihyo’s friend group.

The couple had spent the moment enjoying their cup of tea as they watched Jihyo teach Hyewon how to fly a kite. The two had a grand time as Hyewon took the kite’s controls as they ran through the fields.

“Hey baby, makes you wish we’d live like this forever huh?” Soojin said as she was being hugged from behind by Soeun as they watched television.

“Yeah, no stress just happiness with friends and family.” Soeun agreed. She loved the peaceful setting that Sejong brings. No hustle and bustle of cars and citizens scurrying about just the peaceful ambiance of country life.

A couple of hours passed and soon the luminous glow of the moon had dominated the dark azure sky. They trooped to the field where the bonfire was being held. Each carried a container with food and some stuff to use such as plates and chopsticks. Jimin carried a cooler full of bottles of orange juice and soda. Jaehee had squeezed a couple pounds of oranges to make orange juice earlier. Despite that, the crate hasn’t even lost a quarter of its contents.

One of the guards had lit the bonfire and retreated to a good distance to give the girls some privacy. The party had officially started. Chatter, laughs and even singing could be heard as the girls had one last bout of fun as the night went on. Yerim was in charge of grilling the meat and Jimin played bartender even though there were no alcohol and nothing to mix as soda and fruit juice don’t really mix well. Instead, she was juggling the bottles of fruit juice, claiming that it mixes the pulp with the juice or something. However, Jaehee was amazed by this and that’s all that matters to Jimin. Their dogs were also with Yerim whom they became comfortable with due to her friendly attitude and accommodating vibe.

The food was cooked and they all got a plate and a pair of chopsticks. Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter