Chapter Two: Living The Life

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin just stood there surprised. She barely knew these people and yet they were willing to help her out. 


“Well…do ya?” Olivia asked again. Soeun was finished eating and was looking at her as well.


She nodded her head in agreement which was met by a nod and a smirk from Olivia.


“That’s set then, you two wait here while we finish the customers. We’ll close early so you can get some rest.” Olivia declared as she stood up again and went to a customer calling for her. 


Soojin watched her with fascination as she skillfully weaved in and out of the tables and cook up the food the customers ordered. She reminded Soojin of Gastogne, her personal chef at home. Only he didn’t have that much of a personality as Olivia. He also couldn’t move as agile as Olivia, as his portly stomach would obviously snag at the table edges.


The customers were finally gone. It was ten minutes to midnight, the two sisters went up and about packing in the restaurant. Basically, they were doing the reverse of what she had seen Olivia do earlier. Soojin decided to stand up and lend a hand. After all, they were letting her stay for the night. It was the least she could do. 


“Hey princess, its all right we got this. Hyejoo and I have been doing this for nearly five years.” Soeun said as Soojin stacked a couple of plastic monobloc chairs.


“Its all right, you guys are letting me stay for the night. Its the least I can do for you.” Soojin replied as she stacked four chairs up another four chairs.


“That’s a good girl right there. Girl’s got integrity and values, I respect that.” Hyejoo said as she mopped the floors clean. 


“Oh, don’t stack them too high. I won’t be able to reach them.” She added when she saw Soojin attempting to stack four more chairs to an eight chair stack.


“You’re my unnie but I’m bigger than you.” Soeun teased. It was the first time Soojin heard Soeun’s cold voice infused with warmth.


Hyejoo glared at her sister. Soojin was awestruck by the sheer intimidating factor those two sharp eyes have. She had seen Soeun fight earlier and she had a hunch Hyejoo was even more of a deadlier fighter. Those eyes could strike fear into anyone that meets it. Soeun however was unfazed at this and even stuck her tongue out.
Soojin and Soeun finished up in folding the tables and hefting them back inside. Hyejoo tidied up and locked the kitchen area after making sure the plates and utensils are clean and put away. Taking a once over in the restaurant, making sure everything is set and kept away; the trio went outside and Hyejoo pulled the rolling shutters down, locking it once it fully closed.


“Alrighty then, let’s go.” Hyejoo went ahead and the two followed suit. Soojin was placed in the middle of the sisters.


Walking deeper into the neighborhood they passed by the place where the incident took place. A chill ran down Soojin’s spine and she look around. She hoped those men wouldn’t be around.


“Chill Soo.” Soeun calmly told her which seemed to put her at ease.


“You’re with us and no one’s gonna mess with you.” Hyejoo added.


The trio continued to walk about a couple of minutes more. Passing by apartment complexes and bungalow houses. Eventually, the trio reached a medium-sized bungalow house. It had beige walls and a red gate. The house was situated in the middle of two houses which looked to be unoccupied. 


“This is the place.” Hyejoo said while finding the keys to unlock the gate with.


Soojin was amazed at the house. Sure it was leagues away from their Gangnam Estate, but this house had something special in it. She couldn’t put her finger on it but there was definitely a special charm to it that her billion-dollar home sorely lacks.


“Ah… This may not be something that you’re used to but we’ll try to make you comfortable okay?” Soeun told Soojin whose gaze was all over the place as they walked towards the door. As they came near the front door, a rustling sound could be heard behind it.


“Oh, Guruem’s awake.” Hyejoo mused out loud while sliding the key into the door knob. 


Hyejoo opened the door and as soon as it swung a quarter of the way, a flash of white fur shot out of the door. Leaping into her arms. Soojin saw that it was indeed a dog and Hyejoo was happily hugging it as it all around her face.


“That’s Guruem, the only being Hyejoo-unnie is soft to.” Soeun inserted, formally introducing the dog to her after she closed the gate back up.


Hyejoo bade Soojin to come in. After removing their shoes, the trio went inside with Guruem wagging about in Hyejoo’s arms. He was eventually set down on his bed made of a cardboard box and throw pillows. Soojin sat on the couch while Soeun and Hyejoo went to the kitchen. While sitting, she happily looked around attracted once again by a mysterious force. There was a flatscreen TV above a coffee table. A Wi-Fi modem was mounted on the wall. A few framed pictures of the two sisters were mounted on the wall above the TV. A game console was placed in an alcove below the TV and a pair of controllers were placed on the table in front of her. Several game titles were placed around the controller as well.


“Its not much but we were able to buy this with hardwork.” Soeun shared as she sat down with two cups of tea.


“Its beautiful…really. I like the place.” Soojin replied while looking at Guruem who was looking at her as well. She was interested in the dog.


“Its alright, he doesn’t bite.” Hyejoo said as she rejoined the pair carrying a big bowl of instant ramyeon and a small bowl of dried meat. 


“Yep. Go on ahead Soojin-ah. Guruemmie doesn’t bite but, his owner does.” Soeun said followed by a guffaw. This was responded with a glare from Hyejoo once more.


Soojin waved at Guruem and he waved back with a front paw, this visibly delighted Soojin. Hyejoo placed the bowl near Guruem and he took it as a cue that its his and so he began snacking on the dried meat. The bowl was then placed on the table after Hyejoo cleared out the controllers and games.


“Have you tried eating in one bowl with company? Its a nice experience. You should try.” Hyejoo asked Soojin while handing her a pair of chopsticks. Soeun got her and moved down to sit on the floor. Soojin accepted and sat on the floor beside Soeun.


They began to eat once more. A midnight snack Soojin said to herself as she helped herself to some noodles and sliced boiled eggs. True to Olivia’s words, it was indeed a nice experience to share food with friends. Was she their friend now? Soojin can’t tell but they were her friends now for sure. They finished eating in a couple of minutes. Remaining sat down on the floor, they laid back to relax. Soojin tried to play with the dog one more time, waving him toward her. Guruem then leapt onto Soojin’s lap and sat there looking straight at Soojin with sparkly black eyes. The two began to play while Hyejoo looked on, happy Guruem made a new friend. Soeun was scrolling through her phone, immersed in social media. 


The night drew on and they all felt sleepy. Electing to call it a day, they went ahead and got ready for bed. Soeun lent Soojin a pair of pajamas and a spare toothbrush.
“Oh right, I forgot. The house only has one bedroom. Would you be okay in sleeping with us?” Soeun said, only re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter