Chapter Seventy-nine: Strange Encounters

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin was driving back home after she spent the night with Jaehee. Jihyo had come home a couple of minutes before she left for home. Apparently, Jihyo was invited to stay the night at Hyewon’s place. Their dinner took quite long and lasted well into the night. Jin-woo offered that Jihyo stay with Hyewon tonight. She had called Jaehee at home and was told that it was no problem. Jimin then volunteered to stay and keep Jaehee company.

Luckily, Jaehee had only one class the following day and it was in the afternoon. This allowed the couple to continue indulging in their movie marathon. At some point, Jimin had to get up and get some snacks at the cupboards. Getting a few bags of chips, she had also microwaved a bag of popcorn. By the time she got  back, Jaehee was watching a romantic scene unfold.

“Hey.” Jimin said as she sat beside her, placing the bags of food on the table. They were sitting on the carpet for a comfier position as they wrapped themselves in one of Jaehee’s thick blankets.

She felt Jaehee’s hand wrap around her waist. Later, Jimin felt Jaehee’s breath on her cheek. Turning towards her, she was shocked when she suddenly kissed her full on the lips.

“I love you Jiminnie.” Jaehee said with warm affection in her words.

“I love you too.” Jimin replied with a smile.

Resting her head on Jimin’s shoulder, they had continued watching the movie until they both fell asleep. Jimin woke up at around four in the morning to turn off the television and carry Jaehee to their room. Laying beside her, she tried to sleep again. Failing, she spent the time looking at Jaehee’s sleeping form and brushing her soft and supple hair.

The green light had sent Jimin back from her daydream. Putting her Jeep in gear, she had once more resumed driving back home. She was going to Yongin today as Chaewon was there along with their parents. Passing by a McDonald’s she decided to grab a chicken sandwich for a quick snack before resuming her drive. Parking in a vacant slot, Jimin had munched away on the sandwich while listening to the Jeep’s radio.

“Delta Industries has sealed another deal with the American military. The weapons firm won the contract to build the American Air Force’s newest batch of F-35 fighter jets.” The news anchor reported on the radio, causing Jimin to briefly pause in her eating.

Well I guess dad will have a few extra millions to throw around. Jimin thought as she finished eating and started her truck once more.

Delta Industries is the company that her father, Sooyoung, owns. It was one of the largest military firms. The largest in Asia in fact, with its major competitors being in the Western hemisphere. Delta dominates the Asian market. War has always been one of the most profitable businesses.

It may not be apparent, but Jimin and Chaewon live lavish lives. Jiwoo had taught them to be frugal and to care for others, especially those in need. The both of them were educated in the best schools, much alike to Soojin and Hyewon. However, Chaewon had always preferred to ride the bus along with Jimin rather than be driven by their servants. Chaewon wanted a Tesla for her 18th birthday gift because it was more environmentally friendly as opposed to traditional, smoke-belching vehicles. During her travels, Jimin would always try to help the needy by donating and helping whenever she can.

Arriving at home, she was surprised to find Hyejoo’s Ducati parked beside Chaewon’s car. Curious, she went inside. She had understood that Hyejoo had worked for her dad at one point. But what puzzled her was, what work could a teenager get with her dad’s company? Hyejoo had mentioned doing delivery work back then. Maybe she was a papers courier? Hyejoo couldn’t have worked directly with weapons manufacturing at that young age.

“Hey Jimin-ah!” Hyejoo greeted her as she opened the door. Jimin noticed that she was carrying her helmet. Asking if she was leaving, Hyejoo said yes because she was going to work the day shift.

“Oh, be safe unnie. Nice seeing you.” Jimin replied as she bumped fists with Hyejoo.

Even the thick oaken doors could not muffle the roar of Hyejoo’s monster bike.

Walking inside, she saw Sooyoung having coffee while reading the morning paper. Despite the presence of electronic news, Sooyoung still preferred to read the news on paper. It made for a more authentic feel, seeing it printed in ink, Sooyoung once told them.

“Hey dad.” Jimin said in English as she went to the fridge looking for something to drink.

“Hey baby. How’s the night with Jaehee?” Sooyoung asked.

“I was fine. Where’s mom?” Jimin asked.

Sooyoung replied, saying that she was at the hospital orienting new residents about their medical duties. Nodding, Jimin hugged her dad and went to Chaewon’s room. Pressing her ear against the door confirmed her that her sister was here. Knocking on the door, she opened and went inside.

“What’s up Monday?” Chaewon said without looking up from her piano.

“Nothing. Just bored and stuff. You got class today?” She asked while she sat on her bed.

“Nah, I’ll go to SNU though. Hang out at Hyewon’s club with the gang.” Chaewon said.

“Can I… come? Like go inside SNU?” Jimin asked.

Chaewon said that she could. It would just need a visitor’s pass at the guardhouse to secure entry. Jimin said she would go with her. Surprised, Chaewon still said yes. Jimin left her wondering as she went to her room to shower and change.

Knowing her sister, she absolutely hated school. It thrilled her through the roof when Sooyoung didn’t force her to attend college. Despite not having a heiress to the company, Sooyoung was quite chill about it. Chaewon had no intention of carrying on with her father’s company. She had other intentions. The sudden interest of Jimin in school was quite surprising.

Oh, maybe Jaehee would be coming to school today. I think she has an afternoon class today. Chaewon shrugged and began to play once more at her piano before they went to school. Jimin came back shortly after dressed in pants and a red blouse.

“We’ll go in your car.” Jimin said as they walked out the hall, towards the ground floor.

“Really?” Chaewon said. She was also surprised at the fact that Jimin wanted to leave her precious truck behind at home. She would always insist on using it on trips involving her, like the one at Waegwan Abbey.

Jimin said that it would be a weird sight for a classy university to have a gigantic truck sitting on its parking lot. She assumed that most university students would drive sedans, coupes, or hatchbacks to school. Chuckling, Chaewon agreed with her observation. It was true in a way, Jimin forgot multi-million luxury cars that Soeun and Soojin ride to school in.

“Soeun-ah, I’ll go get us some snacks okay?” Soojin said to Soeun who was busy cutting pamphlets for their event at the club. Nodding her head, Soojin gave her a quick hug before she left.

Heading out the clubroom, Soojin went to the nearby convenience store. She and Soeun found a liking for Calbee potato chips lately and they had been snacking on it frequently during their sleepovers. Besides, it’s a good alternative for fast-food. This was Soojin’s excuse whenever she ate a little bit too much of chips, which were against her diet.

As she walked, she remembered her mother complimenting Soeun for getting a bit chubbier. She said that most people often gain weight if they’re with the right person. Haseul herself gai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter