Chapter Forty-nine: International Snack Time

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaehee woke up to a pleasant day. The sun was shining bright and her father was working the fields. Meanwhile, her mother had went to the orange farm that Jimin had apparently bought for them. She had went to the mailbox seeing that the flap was down, meaning there was mail inside. Groggily walking towards the mailbox, she had found there was a small parcel along with several envelopes inside. Retrieving the items, she walked back up into the house. Her phone buzzed and she saw a good morning message from Jimin, replying to the message, she sat on the couch.

Sifting through the envelopes, Jaehee found bills, coupons and other random mail. The parcel contained the phone case she had bought online. It featured a compartment where you can insert a wallet-sized photo and had a dog-themed aesthetic to it.

“Oh? SNU?” Jaehee said aloud to herself as she saw the last envelope bearing SNU’s seal. It must be the results, Jaehee thought to herself as she gently tore the envelope open. Her heart was pounding as she took the neatly folded legal-sized paper out and unfolded it it read:

Dear Ms. Lee,

On behalf of Seoul National University I am pleased to congratulate you on your acceptance into our program for the fall 2021 semester. We were very impressed by your academic history and believe that you will prove that our confidence in you is not unfounded.

Enclosed with this letter, please find the necessary enrollment form for you to fill out and return by August 1, 2021. A timely response can increase your chances of finding accommodations on campus. You will be contacted upon receipt of the form by our student advisor, who will give you all further details regarding scheduling. If you have any questions regarding this letter, please feel free to contact us at the admissions office by phone at (82)-107-1999 or email at us at our official website We look forward to hearing back from you.

We at Seoun National University are pleased to welcome you and feel that you will make a great addition to our student body. We wish you the very best in success in your future and hope that you will find all of your needs satisfactorily met here. Thank you for your prompt attention and for choosing Seoun National University.

Yours sincerely,

Il Jeong-hoon

Admissions

Seoul National University

I got accepted?! Jaehee thought to herself as she jumped up and down screaming in the living room. Her father was just coming back from the field and had heard the screams. Rushing inside, he was worried Jaehee got into an accident or something.

“Jelly-ah! What’s happening?!” Hyun-weol asked as he tried to stop Jaehee from jumping like a jackrabbit.

“I got accepted appa!” Jaehee said as she handed him the acceptance letter.

Hyun-weol had just read the part where congratulations were given and he had joined in Jaehee’s jumping. Father and daughter shared a tender hug before calming down a couple of moments later.

“Oh! I have an idea! Let’s prank your mom.” Mr. Lee said as he told Jaehee what to do.

An hour later Mrs. Lee came into the home. She had taken a look at the orange farm and it was going well in production and was adequately staffed. They welcomed her recognizing her to be one of the new owners. She had come home to Jaehee and her husband sitting somberly at the couch.

“What’s wrong dears? Something happen?” She asked as she put her bag down.

“I got rejected at SNU mom.” Jaehee sadly said, her head bowed, hair covering her face.

“Oh? Its okay dear, we’ll try at other universities. There’s more here in Korea. Don’t you worry my baby.” Mrs. Lee comforted Jaehee with kind words and a tender hug.

“We’ll try at other universities. Sejong has one, there’s Hankuk, Yonsei, Chung-ang and others more. Cheer up darling okay?” Nara comforted her child, rubbing her back and giving her encouraging words.

“I’ll bake you some apple pie okay darling? Its going to be okay.” Nara said as she was going to the kitchen.

Mr. Lee couldn’t hold it in and started laughing. Nara was confounded by this. Why was he laughing? His daughter just failed an exam!

“Yah! Why are you laughing?! Can’t you see Jelly’s having a rough day?” Nara said as she tried to stop her husband.

“Sike!” Jaehee said as she handed her the acceptance letter before joining her father in a laughing spree.

“Oh you two rascals... OH! JELLY-AH!” Nara said before hugging her daughter. She indeed got accepted into SNU!

“I’m so proud of you baby! When do you go to Seoul?” Mrs. Lee asked.

“Later perhaps? So I can catch the final few days of admissions.” Jaehee said.

“All right lets go get your bags and stuff okay?” Mrs. Lee said before lightly slapping her husband’s knee.

“Help us with the luggage pabo-ya stop laughing!”

Over at Yongin, Hyunjin tried walking with a cane Yerim found in the attic upstairs. It was an exquisite black Victorian-esque cane with the family crest carved into its curved handle. Jungeun watched her daughter make good progress on her walking. She was happy to find Hyunjin’s determination to walk again, clearly inheriting Jinsol’s stubborn and unyielding nature.

Hyunjin tried to jump in celebration but as she landed, her legs gave way, her three sisters jumping into action catching her all at once. They then helped her to sit beside Jungeun who asked if Hyunjin was okay. She also checked her legs if there were any injuries or sprains. Finding none, she then sat back beside her kid.

“Eomma, where does appa work?” Soeun asked out of the blue. She knew Jinsol owns several companies but she wasn’t sure which one. Jinsol rarely talked about work when she’s with them.

“Oh. Jinsol owns Lotte Corporation. You know that mall you guys met at? She actually owns that, if I remember correctly Piaget opened a store over there and your dad went to attend.” Jungeun explained.

Soeun was surprised at knowing this, no wonder the guards never checked her bags. She also admired how humble Jinsol was, even letting a couple of kids go first at the art store. She never flaunted her power or wealth to prejudice other people or get ahead.

“Wow like every Lotte mall?” Soeun asked.

“Every mall indeed. She also owns the Hilton chain of hotels in South Korea and an avid investor in agriculture. Recently though I heard she pulled her stocks at Graff.” Jungeun elaborated. Hyejoo told Jungeun the reason why Jinsol pulled the stocks from Graff.

“Oh?! How dare they! They’d have heard an earful from me if I was there!” Jungeun exclaimed in irritation after learning how rude the staff was to her children. She eventually calmed down because of Hyunjin’s hugs. She was overly overprotective of her children, especially Hyejoo and Soeun. Hearing how ill-treated they were made her blood boil.

“How about you mom? What do you do?” Hyejoo asked.

“I used to fly planes.” Jungeun said with a wink.

“Oh? That must be cool!” Soeun said, asking what kind of planes Jungeun flew.

“I used to be a commercial airline pilot. Captain of Operations for Korean Air, it means I’m in charge of all airplanes in the company. I also flew planes as my previous position wasn’t really a desk job. Now I own the company and am stuck at a desk on the top floor.” Jungeun said shaking her head at the last part.

“Can you still fly eomma?” Hyejoo asked as she bit a macaroon.

Jungeun only looked at Hyejoo and winked.

“Lets go?”

Jimin parked her Jeep in front of Jaehee’s house. Jihyo was with her sitting in the front seat. Jaehee was getting her bags out from inside the door, Mrs. Lee waited for the two at the porch.

“H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter