Chapter Eighty-nine: Caught a Mouse

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dae-woo drove into the Jung Estate’s driveway in one of Sooyoung’s armored G-wagons. Jungeun had requested him and a few guards to check up on the estate to see if there was anything amiss over there. During their sudden exodus, a small contingent of guards were left to make sure that no one would be snooping around the property. The high and thick walls did a lot in keeping cameras away from the mansion since there were no higher vantage points in the vicinity.

Entering the mansion, Dae-woo saw that all guards were accounted for. The girls’ room were locked. Opening the room with the master key, Dae-woo went inside to check. The windows were closed shut and everything seemed to be untouched. A good sign.

Closing the door and locking it behind him, he then went up to the master’s bedroom. Doing the same, everything was secure and nothing was out of place. Moving  to Jungeun’s office, Dae-woo retrieved a set of files tucked under her office table. Placing it in a briefcase, Dae-woo cuffed the case to him and pocketed the key.

Everything seems to be in order, Dae-woo said to himself as he did one last sweep before briefing the squad leader downstairs. Walking down the halls, memories of his time with his deceased squad mates came into mind.

“Hyung! Come on, you gotta give the day off next week. It’s Ja-yoon’s birthday! I promised I’d attend. Come on, I’ll buy you guys a round when I come back.” Do-young was bartering with Dae-woo.

Chuckling, the bodyguard relented and told him he’d be free on his daughter’s birthday. This made Do-young really happy and promised to be on the detail escorting Soeun to school tomorrow to make up for his extra request.

And now Do-young was dead. He wouldn’t be attending little Ja-yoon’s birthday anymore.

I should have never let you go with me brother. Dae-woo whispered as he leaned on the elevator door, the cold metal seeping through his shirt.

He remembered their interaction with Ja-yoon in the police station.

“Will appa come next week? It’s my birthday…” Ja-yoon asked as she stuck her finger into .

“I’m afraid not…the mission…it takes to long to accomplish. But he asked me to go in his stead and buy you all the toys you want on that day. Will uncle Dae-woo pass as a substitute?” He asked the toddler who considered the offer for several moments.

“I wanted appa’s hug as a gift…but I understand. Appa saves the world right? Toys will do for now. But tell appa to give me a hug when his mission’s over!” Ja-yoon replied, sticking out her finger like how scolding mother would while placing one hand on her hip.

Nodding, Dae-woo promised that he would tell Do-young that.

A crackle on his radio brought him back to reality.

“Status report.” It was one of Sooyoung’s people.

“All clear. Files found. Will rendezvous back at base. Out.” Dae-woo replied.

I have to survive long enough to make it to Ja-yoon’s birthday at the very least, Dae-woo told himself as he descended the stairs.  Meeting the squad leader, he reviewed his standing orders and told him to stand fast. The situation would be resolved with utmost haste.

Going back to the G-wagon, Dae-woo placed the case into a vault under the driver seat. Fitting it snugly, Dae-woo looked around the perimeter before he got in the truck.

While surveying the walls, he heard one of the guards shout at someone, telling them to stop right there.

Snapping his gaze to the gate, he saw someone was trying to take a look inside, holding a camera. Giving chase, both him and Dae-woo gave chase, sprinting out of the gates and onto the sidewalk. The man hadn’t gone too far when Dae-woo forcefully tackled him to the ground. The other guard took the camera, scanning the photos taken.

They were both alarmed when they saw the man have several photographs of the mansion at several time intervals. Aside from that, there were even photos of Jihan’s house and Heejin’s apartment. Taking the camera with them, Dae-woo practically manhandled the man inside and into the external guards’ house where some of the guards stay. It was detached from the mansion. Dae-woo didn’t want him inside the mansion for fear that he might remember the house’s layout and find a way to report it to whoever he was working for.

Radioing back to Sooyoung’s people, Dae-woo reported he found someone prowling around with potentially compromising photos. Acknowledging, he was told to bring the man to a set of coordinates. Plugging his ears and draping a black sack over his head, Dae-woo then bound the mouth and limbs of the man. Taking no chances, he lifted the man and hauled him to the waiting G-wagon.

He reinstated orders, telling the guards to keep an extra eye out and patrol the other side of the walls at regular intervals. Dae-woo then drove off to the set off coordinates which turned out to be the outskirts of Seoul. An empty and desolate patch of land.

Radioing the base, he was told to wait. The man was squirming in the backseat floor. Sighing, Dae-woo swept the surroundings, checking if someone was looking at them. There was none, a good sign.

About seven minutes later, a clunky white van showed up. It parked about ten meters ahead of the G-wagon.

“Hello kid. Sorry it took a bit. Its not as fast as your posh truck here.” Beom-seok chuckled as he climbed out of the van’s back door.

Dae-woo recognized the man. He was one of Sooyoung’s people.

“Its alright. I have him by the backseat floor.” Dae-woo replied, telling the two burly men standing behind Beom-seok where to go.

Nodding, they went to the back door and got the man out. The larger man simply dragged the captive by the locks of his hair, throwing him to the van’s b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter