Chapter Ninety-six: Reset

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few weeks later, after Seon-Jung was buried, Soojin and her family had returned to their mansion in uptown Seoul, but things weren't the same as before. The family had also seen to it that everyone who fell in the protection and rescue of Soojin was given proper burial respects. Haseul herself had seen to it that the bereaved family was fully taken care of. Min-yeong’s sister was given full retirement benefits that would have gone to her. She was her only remaining family aside from Chan-mi, having dedicated her life to the service of the Lee family. Chan-mi himself was given doubled salary and benefits along with a university scholarship. Shim Do-young’s daughter, Ja-yoon was given a lifetime scholarship and a monthly stipend. Haseul saw to it that the late Mr. Shim’s widow, would never have to work a day in her life again to support their daughter.

Even though they had successfully rescued her from her kidnappers, the trauma of the incident still lingered on. Soojin struggled to go back to her normal life, finding it hard to trust anyone around her. She was constantly on edge, and the smallest things would trigger her anxiety. Even going outside on a date with Soeun, her partner and love, was a challenge.

One day, while they were out, a sudden loud pop startled Soojin, triggering a full-blown panic attack. She began shaking and hyperventilating, feeling as if she was back in the same situation all over again. Soeun quickly rushed to her side, trying to comfort her.

"It's okay, Soojin-ah. You're safe now. I'm here with you," Soeun whispered soothingly, holding her close.

Soojin clung to Soeun, crying, and shaking as the panic attack subsided. Soeun continued to hold her, gently her hair, and murmuring comforting words until she calmed down.

After a while, Soojin slowly looked up at Soeun, her eyes still red and swollen from crying. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she whispered hoarsely. "I thought I could handle it, but I'm still so scared."

"It's okay, Soojinnie. There's no need to apologize," Soeun replied softly, giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead. "We'll take it one step at a time. We'll get through this together."

Soojin nodded weakly, still feeling fragile and vulnerable. She knew that it would take time to heal from the trauma, but she was grateful to have Soeun by her side, supporting her through the tough times. As they walked back to their car, Soojin leaned on Soeun, feeling a little more hopeful that they could rebuild their lives and move forward, despite the scars of their past experiences. Soeun had been very patient and understanding with her these past few days.

Meanwhile, Jimin, had gone to visit Jaehee, in her home. Well, the home she and Jihyo had been sharing, Hyejoo’s old place. Jaehee had been deeply concerned for Soojin's safety during the kidnapping ordeal and had been sending her messages of support throughout the whole ordeal. She was unable to fully help as she was whisked to safety along with Jihyo to make sure that they weren’t caught in the crossfire.

Jimin had brought an entourage of guards with her, just to make sure that Jaehee was safe and protected from any potential threats. Jung-su was still out and about. Jaehee had been initially taken aback by the show of force, but soon realized that it was a necessary precaution given the circumstances.

"Thank you for coming, Jimin-ah," Jaehee said, embracing her warmly as she greeted her at the door.

"It's no problem, Jellybaby. I just wanted to check on you and make sure you're doing okay," Jimin replied, smiling warmly.

Jaehee led Jimin inside, where they settled into the living room to catch up on old times. Jimin was relieved to see that Jaehee seemed to be holding up well despite the recent events, but she could sense a lingering sense of anxiety beneath the surface.

As they chatted, the guards stationed outside kept a watchful eye on the surrounding area, scanning for any potential threats. Jimin could hear the occasional murmur of their communication radios, a constant reminder of the need for vigilance.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock at the door, causing both Jimin and Jaehee to jump in alarm. One of the guards immediately sprang into action, rushing to the door to see who it was.

"It's just a delivery man, miss Jimin," the guard reported back, holding up a package, unsure who to hand it to. Jaehee got up and retrieved the package. It was the stationery set she had ordered yesterday. Chuckling, she sat down besides Jimin again to open the package with her.

Jaehee breathed a sigh of relief, and Jimin chuckled softly. "I guess it's better to be safe than sorry," she said, shaking her head, laying down on Jimin’s lap. They continued chatting for a while longer, catching up on old times and reminiscing about their shared memories. But even as they laughed and joked, the guards remained alert and vigilant, a reminder that their sense of safety and security was still fragile and precarious.

As Jimin prepared to leave, she hugged Jaehee tightly, promising to stay in touch and come back to visit soon. Jaehee smiled bravely, but Jimin could see the fear and anxiety lurking in her eyes. It was clear that, like Soojin and her family, Jaehee was also struggling to cope with the aftermath of the recent events. But Jimin knew that, with time and support, they would all be able to heal and move forward, together.

Over at SNU, Chaewon had just resumed attending Seoul National University after the recent kidnapping incident involving Soojin. Like Jimin, Chaewon was now constantly surrounded by security personnel to ensure her safety. As she walked towards the university gate, Chaewon saw Yerim and Jiyoon, approaching from the opposite direction. The trio exchanged excited greetings and walked towards the campus together, chatting about their summer break and the classes they were taking.

Chaewon tried to ignore the stares and whispers of her fellow students as they passed, acutely aware of how much attention her security detail was drawing. She was grateful for the protection, but she couldn't help feeling self-conscious and exposed under the watchful eyes of so many strangers. Yerim and Jiyoon noticed her discomfort and tried to distract her with lighthearted conversation, but Chaewon's mind kept wandering back to the recent kidnapping and the asive sense of fear and paranoia that had descended upon her and her friends.

As they approached the Sciences Institute, the trio reluctantly said their goodbyes and parted ways, each heading to their respective classes. Chaewon felt a pang of loneliness as she watched her friends disappear around the corner, but she knew that she couldn't let herself get distracted by her fears and anxieties. Taking a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and walked towards her classroom, her security detail following closely behind. She was determined to reclaim her sense of normalcy and move forward, even if it meant living with the constant reminder of the dangers that lurked outside the safety of her school walls.

A few days later, Soojin and Soeun were out on a date, trying to get back to their normal lives after the recent kidnapping attempt. But even the smallest things could trigger their memories of the traumatic event, sending them into a spiral of fear and panic. Soeun was being extra vigilant, even preemptively distracting Soojin by covering her ears whenever a popping sound or a loud banging sound could emanate.

As they walked through the park, Soojin heard a loud pop and froze in terror. It was just a child popping a balloon, but the sound was enough to trigger a flashback of the gunshots that had nearly taken her life. Soeun immediately noticed her distress and took her hand, leading her to a bench and holding her tightly as she trembled with fear. Soojin's heart was racing, and her mind was flooded with memories of the kidnapping, making her feel trapped and helpless.

Soeun spoke softly to her, soothing her with gentle words and affirmations of love and support. She knew how hard it was for Soojin to deal with the aftermath of the kidnapping and how vulnerable she felt in the face of such overwhelming trauma. Taking her into her arms, Soeun gently rubbed Soeun’s back and whispered sweet nothings into her ear, peppering her cheek with a few kisses here and there.

As the panic attack was subsiding, Soojin leaned into Soeun's embrace, grateful for her partner's unwavering presence and care. She knew that healing from the trauma would be a long and difficult journey, but she also knew that she had the love and support of those closest to her to help her through it.

Together, they sat in the park, holding each other and breathing in the fresh air, determined to keep moving forward and reclaim their sense of safety and security in the face of the danger that still lurked around them.

After the panic attack had completely subsided, Soojin and Soeun decided to continue their date, determined not to let the trauma control their lives. They went to a nearby park and sat on a bench, enjoying the fresh air and the sound of birds chirping.

"You know, I've been thinking," Soeun said, breaking the comfortable silence. "I know things have been tough lately, but I want you to know that I'm here for you. I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Soojin looked at her partner with a mixture of gratitude and love. She knew that Soeun was sincere and that her words came from the heart.

"I know. And I appreciate it more than you know," she said, reaching out to take Soeun's hand.

They sat there for a while longer, just enjoying each other's company and the peacefulness of the park. Soojin felt herself starting to relax, her anxiety slowly ebbing away.

As they were about to leave, Soeun stood up and held out her hand.

"May I have this dance?" she asked, a mischievous glint in her eye.

Soojin chuckled, feeling a warmth spread through her chest.

"Of course, my lady," she said, standing up and taking Soeun's hand.

They danced a slow, romantic waltz, twirling around each other with grace and ease. Soojin felt like she was in a dream, surrounded by nothing but love and happiness.

"I love you," Soeun whispered, as they swayed to the rhythm of the music.

Soojin looked up at her partner, feeling a swell of emotion in her heart.

"I love you too," she said, leaning in for a gentle kiss.

They broke apart, smiling at each other with tenderness and affection. Soojin knew that life wouldn't always be easy, but in that moment, surrounded by the beauty of the park and the love of her partner, she felt like everything was going to be okay.

As they walked around the park, the couple had decided to continue their date by watching a romantic movie at the cinema. As they settled into their seats and the movie started, Soojin couldn't help but feel grateful for having Soeun by her side. Halfway through the movie, Soeun reached over and took Soojin's hand, intertwining their fingers together. Soojin smiled, feeling a sense of comfort and safety in their touch.

As the movie progressed, Soojin found herself getting more and more absorbed in the story, feeling her emotions rise and fall with each scene. When the of the movie arrived, Soojin couldn't help the tears that sprang to her eyes.

Soeun noticed her partner's tears and pulled her in close, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into a warm embrace. Feeling her lover’s warm body, she wraps her in an even tighter hug.

"It's okay, Soojin," Soeun whispered, rubbing soothing circles on Soojin's back. "It's just a movie."

Soojin nodded, feeling embarrassed about her emotional reaction. But Soeun didn't seem to mind, and instead continued to hold her close, comforting her with her presence.

As the movie came to an end and the lights in the cinema flickered on, Soojin and Soeun remained seated for a moment longer, basking in the glow of the ending credits.

"That was beautiful," Soojin said, wiping away the last of her tears.

"I know. I'm glad we watched it together," Soeun replied, leaning in for a sweet kiss.

Soojin smiled into the kiss, feeling grateful for the love and support of her partner.

Back at home, Haseul couldn't shake off the worry that something might have happened to her daughter. She decided to confide in Vivi, her wife, who was sitting in the living room reading a book.

"Honey, I can't help but worry about Soojin. She's not answering her phone," Haseul said, pacing back and forth in the room.

"Maybe she's just busy, Haseul. She's been through a lot, let her have some space," Vivi replied, setting her book down and giving Haseul a comforting look.

"I know, but I can't help but think that something might have happened to her. What if Jung-su is still out there, lurking in the shadows, waiting to strike again?" Haseul fretted, her voice shaking.

"I understand your concern, Haseul, but you have to trust that your daughter is strong and capable. She has a whole team of bodyguards protecting her," Vivi reassured her.

"But what if something happened to them too? I can't bear the thought of losing anyone else," Haseul said, tears starting to well up in her eyes.

At that moment, one of the bodyguards knocked on the door, interrupting their conversation. Haseul quickly composed herself and answered the door.

"What is it?" Haseul asked, her voice tense.

"Ma'am, we can't seem to locate Miss Soojin. She's not answering her phone and she's not in her room," the bodyguard informed her.

Haseul's heart sank. "Okay, we need to find her. Now," she said, her voice firm.

The bodyguard nodded and quickly went to gather the rest of the team. As they left the house, Haseul and Vivi watched them go with bated breath.

"I can't lose her too, Vivi. I can't bear it," Haseul said, tears streaming down her face.

"We won't lose her, Haseul. We'll find her. I promise," Vivi replied, holding Haseul close.

Vivi tried to rationalize the situation. Soojin often doesn’t answer calls if she’s with Soeun. Maybe they were together? Sleeping or cuddling together. It would explain why Soojin isn’t answering her phone. It would ruin the moment after all.

As they waited for news, the atmosphere in the r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter