Chapter Twenty-nine: Ghosts of the Past

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Unnie what’s happening?!” Soeun screamed in Hyejoo’s ear.

Around them metallic pops and clangs rang all around them. A woman older than them was covering them with her own body. Hyejoo’s young mind assumed the popping heard outside was fireworks, so she tried to protect her sister by covering her ears. Soeun hated fireworks and every New Year’s eve Hyejoo would protect her by covering her ears.

Hyejoo felt the pressure above her disappear. The woman was gone, pulled away by men in suits. Because of that, the popping sounds grew louder and louder. Hyejoo looked around and saw red stains on the seats and windows. Realizing that the popping sounds weren’t firecrackers but something deadlier and scarier than them. Hyejoo sprang into action, she pulled Soeun up telling her to cover her ears. She then peered out of the door, seeing that no one was in sight.

Being the elder sister, she took charge and exited the vehicle with Soeun in tow. Deciding that they weren’t safe there anymore because no grown ups were in sight. They ran alongside the car, using it to shield themselves.

Outside was pure chaos. Crushed cars and dead people were everywhere. Hyejoo told Soeun to close her eyes as she desperately looked for a way out, away from the popping sounds.

They spotted an alleyway on the left side. It looked deserted and safe. Making a gamble for it, Hyejoo ran pulling Soeun along with her. Moments after they reached the alleyway, she realized their parents were gone. Getting up to look for them, a powerful boom sent Hyejoo flying back.

Seeking shelter behind a dumpster Hyejoo hugged Soeun as tight as she could. Finally the fear was getting to her. Where were they? Where was their parents? Little Hyejoo’s feet carried her and Soeun as far away as she can. Eventually, the sounds grew fainter and fainter as they ran away.

“Unnie?! Hyejoo-unnie! Wake up!”

Hyejoo bolted upright, drenched in sweat. Looking around she saw Guruem and Soeun looking at her, faces stricken with worry.

“What happened?” Soeun inquired.

“That dream came again.” Hyejoo said out of breath.

Soeun sat beside Hyejoo, wiping her sweat away. Hugging her after, Guruem clambered on top of Hyejoo’s lap, wagging his tail. Both of them were worried.

“Wanna talk about it?” Soeun asked.

“Its basically the same thing. A woman was covering us then she was pulled away. We then ran and poof I woke up.” Hyejoo said, summarizing and recalling the dream as best she could.

“Do you think she’s our mom?” Soeun asked.

“Maybe… but there was an explosion. It might be…”

“Might be mom’s dead?” Soeun asked.

Hyejoo answered with a solemn nod and pulled her tall little sister close.

“I remember another one. A silver car. We were in a silver car.” Hyejoo said.

“What does the car look like?” Soeun asked.

Hyejoo went on to describe the car as a big and spacious one with nice seats and a luxurious interior.

“Mmm… I don’t really know how to identify that car. I’ll try to ask Soojinnie tommorow, maybe Chan-mi oppa knows.”

“Pft, you just want an excuse to see Soojin.” Hyejoo teased.

“That as well!” Soeun cheekily replied with a grin.

The two sisters couldn’t go back to sleep so they stayed up chatting with each other. Guruem sat on Hyejoo’s lap all throughout that. He probably sensed his master was in distress and that she needs company. Soeun had no classes today so she didn’t mind not going back to sleep, she wanted to keep Hyejoo company as well.

Morning came and the two sisters got out of their bedroom to make breakfast. Hyejoo whipped up a simple meal of eggs and toast. Guruem had dog food as well. The two sisters had watched some television to pass away the time.

At around an hour later, the faint hum of a car engine could be heard, then came a knock on the door. Hyejoo was at the fridge getting a pitcher of fruit juice.

“Your goddess is here Soeun-ah.” Hyejoo said from the refrigerator.

Soeun went to the door to answer it. Opening the door revealed Chaewon standing outside with a box of donuts. The unexpected visit startled Soeun who initially thought it was Soojin, almost hugging her.

“Hi Soeun-ah!” Chaewon brightly greeted her.

Soeun happily invited her in. She knew her unnie was fond of Chaewon and her presence might just help Hyejoo forget about the earlier nightmare.

“Hyejoo-unnie! Its Chaewon!” Soeun called out.

A dull thump resounded in the kitchen. Soeun knew it was Hyejoo and sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter