Chapter Forty-six: Oranges

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The group had returned around seven in the evening and they were surprised to find the houses around the vicinity were out of electricity. Fearing the worst, they rushed back to the house. As the cars sped down the road, Hyejoo feared the worse. She was calling Hyunjin and Soeun’s phone but they weren’t picking up. Their phones were left inside their bags and they weren’t able to get to them.

She had rested easy when Dae-woo notified her that his guards had called in and they were all safe. One guard drove up and down the road to identify the cause of the power’s loss. He had seen the crashed truck and electric post; he radioed it in after calling for emergency services.

Once they had arrived, Hyejoo armed with a flashlight, had rushed to find the two. Yerim was following closely. A guard had directed them to go to the guest room and there she found her two sisters. Hyunjin was hugging Soeun who had falled asleep, she had also noticed that her wheelchair was left in the living room.

“You guys okay?” Hyejoo asked as she sat beside them.

“Yeah, we’re okay. Soeun-ah was crying earlier. I went to find her so I could calm her down.” Hyunjin explained.

“What happened to your wheelchair? How’d you get here in the dark?” Yerim asked, remembering the abandoned wheelchair.

“I left it there, it keeps banging into things. Hurts my knees, I just crawled here. Way easier and faster.” Hyunjin said. Yerim hugged her and Soeun. She was happy at how Hyunjin had come alive the past weeks. She was slowly becoming their unnie once more.

They had accompanied the two, sitting on both sides of the bed. Dae-woo started the generator unit Mr. Han keeps in the barn for stormy seasons when the power goes out. The lights came back on suddenly and everything was normal. Soeun was roused from sleep by the sudden onset of light flooding her closed eyelids. Hyunjin quickly covered her eyes with her hand.

“Sophie? Wanna sleep some more?” Hyunjin gently cooed her youngest sister, brushing her hair.

“Mmm… I’m okay now.” Soeun said hugging Hyunjin.

“Mmm… love you little Sophie. We’re here for you always.” Hyunjin said hugging her as tight as she could.

The four sisters had hugged, assuring each other that Hyunjin was correct and that they would always be here for each other no matter what. Soojin brought Hyunjin’s wheelchair into the room. She was unaware of Soeun’s intense fear of the dark and hadn’t known what had happened.

“Baby? What happened?” Soojin asked seeing her red eyes and tear stricken face.

“The darkness…” Soeun said trailing off as she pulled Soojin into her arms.

Hyejoo explained to the three of them about Soeun’s fear of the dark and how she had got them. Soojin was surprised at the revelation.

“So that’s why you never go out alone in the night.” Soojin said.

“Yeah, I ran as fast as I can the night I went to get you.” Soeun said referring to the only time she went out in the dark of night alone.

An hour of chatting and dinner was served. As they went to the dining room, they were surprised as Hyunjin tried to stand up. She was successful for about half a minute but her legs buckled and she almost crashed to the ground, luckily Hyejoo got her.

“I want to learn how to walk again… So I can look after you guys better.” Hyunjin said slightly frustrated at her legs.

“I got you.” Heejin appeared at the doorway, she went to call them to dinner when she came upon the conversation. Getting hold of her hand, Heejin guided her up to a standing position. She was also training in physical therapy as well as psychiatry. Both skills came in quite handy.

“Mirror my steps okay?” Heejin gently instructed Hyunjin. Little by little, the two inched out the bedroom door and into the hallway. Yerim brought the wheelchair along just in case. The pair had successfully arrived at the dining room and one of the guards mindfully pulled a chair so Hyunjin could sit.

They had dined merrily and had relayed the day’s events to Hyunjin and Soeun. It turns out that Jimin had won the match, as ‘expected’. Jaehee couldn’t help but gush about how her partner played so well and how she looked good while doing it. Jaehee had left after dinner and promised to come back tommorow.

Retiring to the their spots in the living room, Heejin and Hyejoo had rolled out the mattresses and arranged them neatly on the floor. Chaewon got out the blankets while Jimin hauled the pillows. After they had tucked in beside their partners, they retired for the night.

The next day was a beautiful one. The clouds formed a delightful shade that the girls had enjoyed. They had walked through the field after waking up, a little morning pick-me-up to get the blood running. Hyunjin practiced walking again with Heejin’s assistance. She could walk a bit faster than last night, but she still needed support as her legs buckle often. Min-yeong and Jihyo cooked in the kitchen, Mrs. Han had  went to the market earlier.

Jaehee came, riding through the grassy field with a box in the front basket of her bike.

“Such a beautiful lady.” Jimin muttered as she watched her ride her bike.

“If you like her go tell her. She won’t understand what you feel if you won’t say it.” Chaewon advised Jimin with a playful slap on the arm, egging her sister on.

“Fine. But I’ll wait for an opportunity.” Jimin said.

“Hi Jimin-ah!” Jaehee smiled as she saw Jimin who returned an equally wide smile.

Today’s destination was the mountain spri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter