Chapter Twenty-three: Back to School

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Rise and shine!” Soeun felt a hand pinch her cheeks. Opening her eyes, she found Soojin beside her on the bed. She was dressed simply but elegantly as usual. A wide smile was on her face as usual.

“How’s my baby?” She cooed, rubbing her head gently.

“Does your bandage still hurt?” Soojin asked.

“Not much anymore daddy.” Soeun said, playing along with Soojin.

She gave her a hug before getting out of bed. They went out to find Hyewon playing with Guruem. The girl had a simple pair of jeans and t-shirt on, Soeun observed this curiously as Hyewon always dresses up in a dress. Nevertheless, she still looked beautiful.

“Appa good morning!” Hyewon said, greeting Soeun as she went out the door.

“You knew Soeun-ah, Hyewon originally wanted to get you one of those motorized wheelchairs so you wouldn’t have to walk around later.” Soojin said as she pulled out a dining chair for Soeun to sit on. She had made breakfast earlier with Hyejoo.

Soeun was surprised by the news. Hyewon was really an extra person who tends to do everything with maximum effort. Much like Soojin.

“Well, I said that wouldn’t be necessary as your legs weren’t hurt. We needed to protect your head from bumps, so she suggested a helmet. I said no and she then came up with the idea of a neck brace. Once again, that wasn’t needed. I just needed to make sure you wouldn’t hurt yourself.” Soojin further explained sitting down beside Soeun.

“I originally liked the idea of you in a wheelchair, so you wouldn’t run off anywhere.” Hyejoo said as she came out of the kitchen.

Soeun laughed at her sister’s comment and they began to eat breakfast.

“Ah ah ah.” Soojin said when she saw Soeun about to get chopsticks. Instead, she got those from Soeun and began to feed her.

“Minimal effort today.” Soojin reminded as she fed Soeun with a serving of Pajeon.

By this time, Hyejoo was practically used to the couple’s over the top expressions of affection. However, lately she found herself thinking of Chaewon more and more. Shrugging of those thoughts, she focused on eating.

They were soon out the door, ready to go to school. Hyejoo gave her last minute reminders to Soeun. Soojin reassured the worried unnie that everything will be alright. Hugging her sister goodbye, she got in the car. Chan-mi made sure Soeun got in alright. Soojin on the other hand, carried Soeun’s bag. Hyewon got in the other side of the car, Soeun sat in the middle and Soojin got in last.

Waving goodbye, the car slowly moved away from the house. Hyejoo as usual waited for them to disappear from view before going inside.

Chan-mi made extra precautions before driving over speed bumps, reducing the speed so the car would barely shake at all. The Benz already had high-end suspension and professional tuning done to it hence nobody felt a thing when the car gently traversed the bump. Soojin, not leaving anything to chance held Soeun tight whenever they’d make a turn or pass over a speed bump.

“I feel like a baby.” Soeun said, giggling.

“You are my baby Soeun-ah. Remember, I’m your daddy for now.” Soojin said.

Reaching the school, Soojin gently eased Soeun out of the car, making sure her head wouldn’t hit anything. Walking down the pathway, Jihyo met them by the entrance, holding a paper gift bag. She asked how Soeun was doing and if her head hurt.

“Appa, please use this whenever your head or neck hurts. Me and Hyewon-ah got it for you.” Jihyo said handing the paper gift bag. Inside was a fuchsia rabbit themed neck pillow.

“Wow, thank you Jihyo-ah.” Soeun said, bewildered at the gift. Hyewon on the other hand grinned widely as she gave Jihyo a high five.

“Told you I’ll find something for appa.” Hyewon whispered to Soojin who told her she did a good job. This made her grin grow even wider.

They had parted ways as each pair went to their respective buildings for their classes. Inside Soeun’s first class, her classmates were pleasantly surprised to see Soeun back.

“Soeun-ah! How are you feeling?”

“I’m glad you’re back!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter