Chapter Eighty-three: Revelations

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Soojin and the two sisters served them, Jinsol glanced at both Sooyoung and Jungeun, signaling them to find a opportune moments to excuse themselves so Haseul could talk to Soojin. The group ate the snacks that Soojin had made herself, Sooyoung also asked how Soojin was doing lately and how she was holding up. Measuring the stress levels of the individuals under duress is something that must be done regularly, one could never know when are they at the breaking point.

“I’m alright auntie Soo. A bit boring at times but I’m doing okay.” Soojin said with a smile to Sooyoung’s relief. The kid was completely unaware of the reasons behind the flurry of events they are all experiencing today. She hoped that Soojin would finally understand what was happening soon.

Jungeun had also asked how she and Soeun are doing in the past days. Soojin shared that Soeun had made her a crocheted little stuffed penguin. Pulling it out of her pocket, the parents were touched at what their child had made. Since Soeun was unable to regularly visit Soojin as of late, she stuck to crocheting to pass the time. The couple also regularly video called with each other to keep in touch. Soojin loved to show Soeun her paintings, especially the ones she is currently working on. Soeun would watch for hours on end as Soojin painted. She would tell her stories about her day and trade jokes with her to keep her entertained.

Jinsol looked at Soojin as she chatted away with her wife. She tried to imagine how this beautiful young lady would grow up if Haseul stayed with that demented manipulator. Try as she might, she could not envision a future where Soojin would end up as the Soojin they all know and love today.

“Oh darlings, come come. I have some new things I want to show you.” Vivi suddenly said as she rose up and accosted the other three adults up and out of the room.

“I saw how you looked at the others. I thought I might be able to help by creating a diversion.” Vivi said with a smile as the four of them stood outside the door of Haseul’s office. They were going to the library to spend some time chatting. Haseul had gifted her a while back with a set of her favorite novels. She figured hanging around the library would be a good spot to pass away the time.

Jimin wondered where the other adults had gone to. She and Chaewon were sitting opposite from Soojin and Haseul’s couch. Taking a bite out of a crumpet, Jimin looked around. The office was spacious decorated in a contrasting manner compared to the other rooms within the mansion. It was a blend of French County and Bohemian interior designs. There was an array of Haseul’s academic credentials framed near the fireplace. She was indeed a very intelligent woman, Jimin thought. On the wall above the fireplace, there was a portrait of Haseul and Soojin. Haseul was in a standing position while Soojin sat on a chair and Haseul’s arm lightly draped over her shoulders. Soojin looked to be around a couple years younger on the portrait.

“Thank you for coming to see Soojin today. I understand that not everyone can see her because of the security risks present.” Haseul thanked Jimin and Chaewon for their effort in visiting Soojin.

“It’s nothing aunt Haseul. We’ll bring Soeunnie here next time so Soojin wouldn’t be lonely.” Jimin said with a wide smile.

“Indeed. We’ll then leave those two to their own devices.” Haseul said with a sly grin on her lips. Soojin whined and playfully hit her mother’s arm. Haseul had responded by tickling her stomach causing Soojin to erupt in a flurry of laughter.

Chaewon excused herself and Jimin as they went to get the used plates and utensils for them to wash. Haseul insisted that the staff would take care of it, but Chaewon told her that it was alright and that they’d love to do it.

“It’s alright aunt Haseul. Besides, you and Soojin-ah could use some quality time.” Chaewon said with a knowing smile before turning around and walking towards the door.

As they walked down the hall with the plates, glasses, and utensils on a tray, Jimin asked Chaewon what was going on. Chaewon explained that Haseul had something important to tell Soojin and that they needed the privacy.

“Oh? I wonder what could that be?” Jimin mused as they walked down the stairs.

“No idea, we’ll know if they decide to share it with us.” Chaewon said as they turned into the dining room and eventually went into the kitchen to wash the dishes.

Back in the office, Soojin and Haseul were playing along as they sat on opposite ends of the couch. Haseul lost her foothold in the struggle and now she was the one being tickled by her daughter. Laughing raucously, she twisted and turned as she tried to desperately break free from Soojin’s grasp. Haseul ended up falling on the carpeted floor, taking Soojin with her.

As Soojin lied on top of her mother, she struggled to contain her laughter as her mother held her tight. Laughing uncontrollably, they both rolled around on the thick and lush carpet. Haseul rolled Soojin up on top of her and brushed her hair as they gently sat up from their lying positions.

Haseul then grabbed Soojin and kissed her cheeks repeatedly as she hugged her tight.

“I rarely had the chance to kiss you back then love.” Haseul said as she caressed Soojin in her arms while she gathered the courage to tell her something that she should have said before. Soojin lay nestled in her mother’s arms as she gently her hair, running her fingers through it.

“Soojin. I…need to tell you something.” Haseul said,

“It’s about your father.”

Hearing this, Soojin jerked around looking straight at her mother. She saw worry in the eyes of her mother as she asked what she meant by it.

“You need to know…about him. Everything love.” Haseul said as she held Soojin’s hand.

Taking a deep breath, Haseul began to tell Soojin everything. Starting from the very beginning.

“Soojinnie, your father…I met him after I graduated from Harvard with your aunts Jungeun and Jinsol. We dated for a year before marrying each other. We then had you. But your aunts found something suspicious with him whenever he leaves for business trips. He used to be an executive in a weapons manufacturing firm like Sooyoung. Your aunts decided to follow him on his business trips back then. To their surprise he… he never left the country where in fact he told me that he’ll be in Israel for a week. He just checked in a hotel with…” Haseul trailed off to choke back tears. Soojin hugged her and comforted her, telling her that it was alright if she can’t tell her. The pain and trauma was too clear in Haseul’s eyes.

“You have to know my l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter