Chapter Fifty-seven: Conflicted

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haseul woke up in Kahei’s arms as they laid on the couch. The television was still on and there were the remnants of their small feast the night ago. She had greatly taken a liking to fast-food chicken when Soojin introduced the food to her a while ago. Kahei also had a penchant for it so it suited her quite well. Looking up, she saw Kahei peacefully asleep. Haseul felt conflicted inside as she snuggled in her arms.

What would Soojin say if she saw her like this?

Would it be okay with her?

Does Kahei feel the same way that I do?

These thoughts sparred with each other in a competition to see which thought would Haseul think of most. She feels attracted towards Kahei’s intelligence and beauty and above all else. She was happy. She hasn’t felt this happy in a long time and it meant the world to her. Subtle jabs were thrown by her consciousness as she remembered that she had promised to spend a month with Soojin, yet where was she? Haseul felt like a terrible mother once again as she lay in Kahei’s arms.

Soojin arrived home this morning having spent the night with Soeun and the triplets along with Hyewon and Yeojin. They were having a good time at the estate, playing games and being merry all around when suddenly Jinsol knocked on the door. She was surprised to see Yeojin but after learning that she was Soojin’s cousin, she approved of her company. Pulling Soojin away for a moment, she asked her a couple of questions regarding Yeojin.

“Is she…?” Jinsol trailed off, Soojin knew immediately what Yerim’s father was asking.

“Yeah. I think so Jinsol-appa. She and Yerim-unnie are quite close and taken with each other.” Soojin said.

“Ah! That’s good! I realized when you guys are at Sejong, Yerimmie was without a partner. Now when you guys come back, she’ll have one.” Jinsol chided Soojin with a wink approving of Yeojin.

Jinsol found Yeojin to be an interesting person. She was quiet and reserved unlike basically everyone in the room who’s loud and outgoing. Perhaps Yeojin was shy because of the new company she’s with. Maybe Yeojin would become boisterous as the others in due time. But Jinsol had a good feeling about her and that was all she needed for her to approve of Yerim’s budding relationship with her. She also finds Yeojin’s penchant for frogs cute.

“You like frogs?” Jinsol asked, sitting beside her. Yeojin nearly jumped in surprise.

“Relax, I’m not going to eat you or anything.” Jinsol chuckled, holding Yeojin down gently. She had also introduced herself to Yeojin.

“Mm-hmm… I like frogs ma’am. I kept a few as pets when I was a kid.” Yeojin explained, adding that for a brief period frogs were her only friends. This was before she had attended the same boarding school Soojin and Hyewon went to, only she was three years their senior.

“I see… well sweetie take care of Yerim okay? She likes spaghetti and tteokbokki by the way. A simple and loving girl who gets overwhelmed with joy by the simplest of gestures.” Jinsol said as she stood, leaving the girls to their own devices. Yeojin nodded at her suggestion and promised to take care of her.

Back at Gangnam, Soojin asked one of Haseul’s staff where she was. She was surprised to hear that she hadn’t come home. Jinsol-appa was there last night, perhaps she want out with Jungeun-eomma? Strange, Soojin and Hyewon went up the grand staircase into their room.

“Relax, aunt Haseul probably just went sailing with aunt Jungeun or paragliding.” Hyewon told Soojin as she worried about where her mom was.

Usually, Haseul had an itinerary of the places she would visit and a detailed timetable with a fairly accurate time estimate. Now, there was nothing. All her secretary knew was she went to a friend, driving off in her personal Aston Martin DB9. The last part shook Soojin as Haseul never drove around herself. This meant that she had something to keep secret to her and her personal staff.

Was mother in trouble? Soojin thought to herself as she dialed Jungeun’s number. After a short conversation, Jungeun told Soojin that Haseul wasn’t with her nor Jinsol. Thanking her, Soojin hung up.

Kahei finally woke up and was surprised to find Haseul entwined in her arms. Seeing that she was awake, Haseul rose immediately, having been awake moments earlier, her face flushed red after realizing what she had done.

“I’m sorry Kahei, I can’t sleep if I’m not hugging anything.” Haseul apologized.

“Hey its alright, I don’t mind. Call me Vivi when we’re alone.” Kahei said, assuring her that it was nothing to be worried about.

“Vivi?” Haseul asked.

“Yeah, its what close people call me. Its become my nickname since I was a kid.” Kahei explained.

Nodding, Haseul asked if she wanted breakfast. She was about to cook when Vivi offered her something better.

“Let’s go to McDonald’s?” Haseul gave an immediate yes upon hearing the question. Springing up from the couch, they prepared for a trip down the nearby McDonald’s. Vivi lent Haseul a change of clothes. She went to Vivi’s room to change and Vivi remained at the living room waiting for her turn.

“Gorgeous!” Vivi complemented as Haseul came out. She had a hoodie on paired with sweatpants and canvas sneakers. A beanie adorned her hair as it snugly wrapped itself around her hair. Blushing, Haseul thanked Kahei as she sat down, the former going into her room. She eventually came out with a matching beige sweater and sweatpants.

Walking down the hall, Haseul remarked how comfortable the outfit was. Kahei was happy to hear that as she had always saw Haseul in one of her bespoke white suits or dress shirts. The pair had gone down to the parking lot where Haseul’s car was.

“Vivi-ah, where’s your car?” Haseul asked, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter