Chapter Forty-four: Getaway

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Months had soon passed and June had arrived. In its second week, the semester culminated with their final exams. The girls had studied for the momentous occasion in Jihyo’s new home. The scenario was pretty much the same as their previous sleepover study sessions. It began with books followed by a short break filled with fun and games. They later ate dinner courtesy of Hyejoo who bought them take out from Rosy. The books were opened once more and then came the rest. They didn’t want to over-exert their efforts reviewing and then come up short in the examination.

Chaewon served as the group’s overall mentor giving them advice and tips on how to study effectively. She monitored the group’s progress, having tied all of her subjects down nice and easy. She helped with Hyewon’s Korean pronunciation and vocabulary and Soeun with macro-management skills. Soeun was a skilled manager at ground level but she had difficulty managing bigger scale businesses. Catering to Yerim, she provided useful situations that can easily be used as examples for most of the concepts she was studying.

The clique made sure to include Yerim in everything they were going to do. Be it lunch or shopping trips, they always sent an invite to Yerim who gladly accepted each time.

All of Chaewon’s mentoring paid off when the results came during the final day. Every single one of them got outstanding scores. Soojin and Soeun maintained their records and remained on top of the class. The semester was over and finally they could embark on the trip they had planned months ago. But first, they had to seek permission from their parents.

“Appa. Can we go to Sejong?” Soeun asked as they ate breakfast. Yerim tippeed Soeun to ask Jinsol in the morning when her mood was still pleasant as she wasn’t stressed yet from work.

“Sejong? That’s quite far, 120 kilometers I think. What’ll you be doing there baby?” Jinsol asked as she sipped coffee while reading a newspaper.

“Jihyo-ah lives there. All of us made a promise to visit her hometown when the semester finishes.” Soeun explained.

Jihyo lives on the outskirts of Sejong in the agricultural farmlands near Chungcheongnam-do. It was a safe place near the soon to be de-factor capital of South Korea.

“Sure, its okay if you’re going with your friends. But who else will be going?” Jinsol said.

“Me, Soojin, Heejin, Jimin, Chaewon, Jihyo, Hyejoo-unnie. Also if its okay could I bring Yerim-unnie and Hyunjin-unnie?” Soeun asked. Yerim and Hyunjin had expressed interest in joining them on their trip.

“Would you like to - oh judging by your face Hyunjin-ah, you do like to go.” Jinsol was going to ask the two if they wanted to go but saw their eager and smiling faces looking at her.

“When would you go?” Jungeun asked.

“Later?” Soeun said nervously.

“Oh! Asking for permission at the last minute to raise the odds! You are my kid!” Jinsol exclaimed giving Soeun a high-five.

“Better get ready then sweetie. Bring two cars with you and Dae-woo ah.” Jungeun said shaking her head as she admired the bond Jinsol has with their kids.

The four hugged and kissed both their parents. Eating their breakfast, they immediately went up to their rooms to pack. They were excited, especially Hyunjin who’ll meet the rest for the first time. Each of them had packed five days’ worth of clothes. Soeun, Hyejoo and Hyunjin packed an extra bag for their pups.

About half an hour later, they went back to the main hall where their parents were waiting. They bade their goodbyes and Jungeun imparted a lot of things to remember, do’s and don’ts and many more reminders. She also gave them a secondary bag full of insect repellent, insect bite cream, sunscreen and many other products. It was enough for all of them to share.

The parents had seen them off, Hyunjin and Yerim rode in their Phantom while Soeun and Hyejoo rode in Soeun’s Maybach. Hyejoo was grounded from her vehicles for a month. For the moment, they all had drivers to drive them around. Jungeun had talked to Hyejoo last night about their shenanigans.

“Hyejoo dear, I am doing this not because I am controlling you. I understand that you’re used to being by you’re own and I respect that. But what you did scared me hon. I don’t mind you going out bike riding with your dad, but you have to let me know. I almost called the police last night if I hadn’t seen that your bikes were missing from the garage. I’m scared baby. I just got you back, you and Sophie after nearly sixteen years.” Jungeun said, lecturing Hyejoo with tears in her eyes.

Hyejoo wasn’t mad. She felt sad, seeing Jungeun in tears.

“Mom. I’m sorry it won’t happen again.” Hyejoo assured her with a kiss on the cheek.

“I know baby, but I have to do this… You’re off your vehicles for a month. No bike-riding or driving off by yourself.” Jungeun said.

“I understand mom.” Hyejoo said.

The two had kissed and made up, wishing each other a good night. Jinsol was probably waiting for mom’s wrath in their bedroom or she was sleeping on one of the mansion’s numerous couches? Hyejoo wasn’t sure. Minutes later, she heard the door open and Soeun come in.

“What happened? Mom was worried.” Soeun asked.

“Me and dad went for a ride and didn’t tell her.” Hyejoo said.

Soeun sat beside her unnie and tried to cheer her up.

“Look at it this way unnie. You can use your chonkers Bentley to impress Chaewon-ah. Maybe she likes cars like those.” Soeun said teasing her about Chaewon. Hyejoo had chuckled at the suggestion and said that she’ll look into it.

Back in the present, the sisters had left the mansion after one last round of reminders from Jungeun. Meanwhile over at Gangnam, Soojin was packing her bags along with her staff.

“Have fun darling okay? Call me if you need anything.” Haseul said as she helped Soojin pack.

“Thanks mom, sure you don’t wanna go?” Soojin said.

“Nah. I’m fine. I could use the time to crash at my in-laws… I mean best friends to catch up.” Haseul said.

“Mom!” Soojin responded to her teasing.

“Sorry baby, I’m just so happy for you. The Hilton Busan or Grand Walkerhill is an ideal place for a wedding. Oopsies!” Haseul said flinging one last tirade of teasing.

Soojin just looked at her mother who was laughing her head off. It was the first time that she had seen her in this jolly and festive mood. Usually, Haseul was the epitome of class and composure. They had finished and mother accompanied her daughter to her waiting car outside.

“Have fun over there baby okay?” Haseul said as she kissed her daughter. She watched them tun and disappear before going back inside to call Jungeun. She might as well play third wheel to the loving couple.

“Jungeun-ah! Mind if I come over?” Haseul said once inside her office. The three had agreed to meet up at Jinsol’s house. She was also grounded by Jungeun, prohibited from driving anything for a month.

Chaewon was packing along with Heejin. Jimin was in the underground garage. She was making checks to Chaewon’s Tesla to make sure it was ready for the trip. There was a charging station in downtown Sejong but she had fully charged her sister’s car last night. Satisfied with the tire pressure and the car’s overall integrity, she rejoined them inside the apartment.

“All okay sis, your car’s good to go.” Jimin said. She volunteered to check the car as they were going to travel over a hundred kilometers later. Breaking down in the middle of the journey would be quite a spoiler.

“Thanks Jimin-ah.” Chaewon said as she zipped her bag closed.

“It’ll be fun!” Heejin said. She was looking forward to taking a break in the forested areas near Sejong. Jihyo had also said that there was a sports complex that they could play games at. Hearing this, Heejin and Jimin packed a volleyball and tennis sports equipment. Proper clothing for the sports were also included in their bags especially comfortable tennis shoes.

“So, where’d you wander of these past few weeks?” Heejin asked as she helped Jimin pack her things after she’d finished packing her own.

Jimin told Heejin about her escapades after Hyejoo and Soeun had been reunited. She had visited Changdeokgung Palace at Jongno-gu. The palace was one of the five palaces built by the Joseon Dynasty. These palaces served as the residences of the Royal Family. Changdeokgung was the family’s favorite palace out of the five built. The palace is surrounded by a complex of buildings, with each tailor-made for a specific purpose. Some are accommodations, some are libraries, dining rooms, and meeting rooms, among other uses.

Next Busan was the second largest city in the nation and was Jimin’s next destination. A coastal city lined with beautiful beaches and resorts to accommodate the tourists and locals alike. Beomeosa Temple was a beautiful temple that Jimin had visited over there. What struck her fancy was Gamecheon village which reminded her greatly of Italy’s Santorini as it was situated on the hillside and the houses all bore European-style architecture.

Jimin’s last stop was Gyeongbokgung Palace. The stalwart palace has been destroyed and rebuilt multiple times over the course of history. She had went to the Gyeonghoeru Pavilion and Hyangwonjeong Pond, two of the remaining original structures from the Joseon period.

“Wow, you went through a lot of places in such a short time.” Heejin commented as Jimin narrated her exploration.

“I wanted to go into the DMZ, I heard there were tours but I decided against it.” Jimin said chuckling. The idea of crossing into a permitted area into practically hostile territory was off-putting for her. Besides if Sooyoung found out that she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter