Chapter Six: The Foreign Korean

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a pleasant day for Soojin, she was reclining on a lounge chair in their garden. There was a couple more days before school starts and she was excited to be with Soeun on a regular basis. The flowers were blooming and a rosy smell wafted through her ears as she drank her morning tea. Sitting beside her was Min-yeong, reading one of Soojin’s numerous novels.

Min-yeong was Soojin’s oldest personal assistant. Originally, she was her governess, but as she grew older, she decided to retain Min-yeong’s service as her assistant. Thus, she truly trusted her elderly assistant. Haseul assigned another assistant to Soojin as well, but the girl favors Min-yeong as she literally grew up in her care. So, adjusting to her preferences won’t be too much of a hassle. Besides, Soojin suspects the Yubin, the assistant Haseul provided was reporting to her mother on the sly.

“Unnie, aren’t you mad I that I sneaked off?” Soojin suddenly asked out of the blue. She was referring to the escape she pulled over a month ago.

“Not at all, had I known you wanted a change of scenery I would have taken you to my hometown. It is quite simple over there after all. But if I did that, then you wouldn’t have met Miss Park right child?” Min-yeong explained.

“We don’t have control of greater things in motion child, you meeting the Miss is one of them.” She wisely added.

Soojin nodded at her wise unnie’s words. Truth be told, she thinks of Min-yeong more of a mother rather than a personal assistant. This elder unnie could easily tell what her mistress was thinking and easily adapt to it. This is why she is so endeared to her.

They were chatting animatedly about various things when all of a sudden Soojin’s phone rang. Excusing herself she went to answer it.

“Strange, Soeun-ah is at the market at this time.”

“Sweetie, Soeun-ssi isn’t the only person who has your number.” Min-yeong .

Blushing, she chuckled and looked at the number. It was unlisted. Pressing answer, she lifted the phone to her ear.

“Hello, Soojin? Its me!” A distinctive voice said in English.

“Eh? Hyewon-ah?” Soojin replied back in English, with a hint of uncertainty.

“Of course! Its your one and only cousin!”

“I’m back home unnie! However, could you give me a lift? Mom and dad are at a conference thingie in Greece and the house staff are on leave, they don’t know I came back.” Hyewon said with a chuckle.

“Sure thing, where are you? At the airport?”

“Yep! I’m in the international arrivals terminal 4.” Hyewon said, relaying her location.

Soojin said goodbye and ended the call, she turned to Min-yeong and informed her that Hyewon has just came home. She in turn called Soojin’s driver, informing him to ready the Miss’ car. Soojin finished her tea and they went back inside the house to prepare before leaving to get Hyewon.

The two ladies rode in back while the sedan cruised smoothly on the jet black asphalt. Soojin browsed her her gallery looking at various photos. Soon enough, she found the photo where Soeun’s head was resting on her shoulder. This was the dame’s favortie photo. Seeing this photo drew a smile across her lips. Min-jeong seeing this looked at her mistress and subtly nudged her.

The fact that Soeun and Soojin are still in contact with each other is something that only the two of them know about and they plan to keep it that way, at least until the foreseeable future. They weren’t sure how her mother would react to the news. Haseul hadn’t given them or the staff any restrictions about meeting with any of her new friends. Despite the absence of warnings, Soojin knew better than to risk it. Once, Haseul had bought out the stocks of a rival company that angered her. This caused the rival CEO to shrink to bankruptcy and fade away from high society. This is why Soojin was too afraid to risk the sisters in defying her mother. If Haseul could do that to a multi-billion dollar company, what could she do the them?

They arrived at the terminal where Hyewon was in. Getting out of the car, the two went to look around for her. The driver idled by inside the car, they figured they wouldn’t take long. Indeed, after the two went inside they immediately spotted a tall and elegant lady much like to Soojin’s appearance. This lady was a couple inches taller than her. This was no doubt, Jo Hyewon.

Soojin!” Hyewon greeted as she rushed and gave her a hug. The klutz had left her luggage unattended and Min-yeong went to retrieve it for her.

“Ah! Thank you! I was too excited to see Soojin!”

Min-yeong just chuckled and told her it was okay.

They quickly departed the bustling terminal, boarding the sedan. Heading next to the Signiel Seoul, the hotel where Hyewon will be staying at. As the vehicle smoothly drove on the expressway, the two girls are catching up with each other. Hyewon was telling Soojin about Canada and her time in England as well. The two girls were roommates and classmates during their secondary education in one of Canada’s boarding schools.

“Soojin, England was really nice! All the castles and bricked houses look like the ones we read about in fairy tales! Oh, check this castle out! The tour guide says that this castle was the exact same one they used in the Harry Potter films!” Hyewon excitedly told her cousin while showing her various selfies and photos of castles that she took when she went to the country on her semestral break.

Hyewon was supposed to go back to Seoul along with Soojin on that year however, Hyewon’s parents were at England at that time. So Hyewon went over there instead and had a grand time touring various historical and heritage sites. Soojin on the other hand, spent the majority of the break with Min-yeong strolling through various malls and art shops. Haseul had spent a day with her before she had to go somewhere for something related to her businesses.

Soojin is an avid painter though she had never pursued it professionally. Painting and drawing had always been her escape hatch in her luxurious but secluded life. Specializing in realism, Soojin paints vistas that capture her fancy. Inside her room were multiple paintings hung on the walls depicting beaches, mountains and grasslands. The sheer freedom one can find in these places is something that Soojin deeply envies. This is why she often prefers these as subjects for her creation. Sketches of various landmarks can be found in her sketchbooks. Animals are also a fond subject for her with multiple drawings of birds, dogs and horses populating her many sketchbooks as well.

Arriving at Signiel Seoul, they had went into the hotel lobby. Soojin was pulling Hyewon’s luggage along as they went, insisting the Min-yeong rest. The hotel truly earned its reputation for being one of the top hotels in not just Korea, but also the world. The posh and lavish interior truly gives justice to the hotel’s reputation of ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter