Chapter Sixty-seven: Welcome to the Family

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haseul slowly descended the stairs, blushing slightly from the grand announcement Jinsol had made. Jungeun played the camera woman as she captured her best friend’s descent towards the waiting party. The kids had retreated a few steps back to give Vivi the spotlight. Hyunjin glanced over to the buffet table to look at the available meals. Scanning up and down she found a basket of bread sticks, glancing back to her friends, Hyunjin saw that they were busy admiring the romantic scene unfold. Deftly snatching a piece of bread, she munched on it silently as she watched Dr. Wong hug Haseul.

“Auntie Haseul sure is beautiful.” Jihyo breathed out as she admired Soojin’s mother. Jaehee nodded in agreement as they both looked on, transfixed at the beautiful scene unfolding before them.

“Now we know where Soojin got her looks from.” Jimin said as she watched.

Vivi handed the bouquet to Haseul, quite unsure of the proper thing to say or do. Heejin assured her that it would come naturally later on. But it proved to be quite the contrary as Vivi found herself tripping over words in her mind, stuttering to speak.

Wong Kahei! You graduated at the top of your class since primary school! Why are you out of words? Kahei scolded herself mentally as she struggled to string a coherent phrase.

“For- For you Haseul-ah.” Vivi finally managed to stutter out a sentence as Haseul caressed the flowers.

Seeing her intelligent lover trip over her words and blush as she saw her, Haseul couldn’t help but giggle in amusement. It has been years since she had felt this giddy. Like a teenage schoolgirl on her first date, Haseul felt like having butterflies in her stomach as she watched Vivi blush in front of her. Caressing the bouquet she thanked her lover for the kind gesture. Vivi only managed to nod and smile which made Haseul giggle more.

“You’re really cute tonight sweetie.” Haseul said as she gestured for Vivi to come nearer, eventually wrapping her in a tender hug. Jungeun the cinematographer ran to capture the moment close up with her video camera mounted on a gimbal.

Soojin slid beside the scene and ascended the stairs up to the first floor landing and stood beside Jinsol.

“Good work dearie. I must say you have an eye for grandeur much like your mother.” Jinsol said, admiring Soojin’s efforts.

“Ah Jinsol-appa, I merely told Min-yeong unnie to make the occasion as special as possible.” Soojin said, brushing off the compliment. She had nothing to do with the actual preparations made as she was at school earlier. The task was left to her personal staff headed by her personal assistant.

“Humble as well! Oh you really are Haseul’s child!” Jinsol chuckled as she tapped Soojin on the shoulder. She then directed her attention to Jungeun who was merrily capturing the moment Haseul and Kahei were having. Jinsol shared that it was once Jungeun’s dream to be a cinematographer.

“Oh? Really? Jungeun-eomma would probably be really good at it though.” Soojin said, pleasantly surprised at the revelation.

“She is. Oh you should have seen the vlogs she made during our college days. I’ll show it to you next time you come over.” Jinsol said to Soojin’s agreement.

Hyejoo was watching the festivities when she turned around and saw Hyunjin on what was probably her sixth bread stick of the evening. With widened eyes she told her sister to watch the event unfolding before them. Hyunjin sheepishly agreed while taking the final bite of her bread stick. Yerim turned around, noticing the hushed conversation with her twin sisters and giggled when she saw Hyunjin shoving the last chunk of bread into . She instantly knew what the mini-commotion was about.

Haseul finally finished her tender moment with Vivi and she looked at their guests. All of her best friend’s children were present along with their closest friends. A small and intimate guest list. Perfect, Haseul thought to herself. Addressing her guests she welcomed them and thanked them for their presence in this momentous occasion.

“Welcome all. I thank you for coming on such short notice. My daughter really loves intimate gatherings like this right Soojinnie?” Haseul turned around to smile at her only daughter.

“My best friends are also overly enthusiastic and very supportive of my new… chapter in life.” Haseul added while glancing towards Jungeun and Jinsol while taking a moment to linger upon Vivi as she finished her statement. At that, she had concluded her impromptu speech ending with a remark to help themselves to the food.

On clockwork, the house staff brought out tables and chairs pre-decorated into the main hall. It was a simple yet elegant affair with ivory white table cloth and a flower vase on top. Within a few minutes, the main hall was populated with tables and chairs ready to cater to the guests. Butlers had already gingerly placed the plates and silver cutlery on the table mats. Soojin and Hyewon courteously guided each guest to their respective tables. For this night, Soojin sat with her parents and Soeun sat with her family. Chaewon and the others sat on another table.

The meals were then served and they were encouraged to go to the buffet for additional servings. Hyunjin wasted no time in finishing her plate and standing up to get more with an emphasis on the bread and pastries. Hyejoo and Yerim could only look on as their eldest sister walked back to their table.

The group dined quietly with soft chatter taking pla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter