Chapter Fifty-four: Sophie's Missing!

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The family’s Los Angeles vacation ended on a good note. Jungeun had showed the children their properties in the United States, touring around several States in the family jet. There were only a few more days in their vacation and their parents wanted to maximize the duration.

Visiting their San Francisco Headquarters for the airline’s North American operations, Jungeun toured them around the maintenance facility in Nevada as well. The girls were impressed by the gigantic airplanes being taken apart, fixed and put back together. It gave Hyejoo an idea of how vast her family’s wealth is as they walked through the facility.

“You own all of this?” Soeun asked as she watched an overhead gantry crane lift a jet engine towards a waiting group of workers, ready to tear it down and refurbish the engine.

“We do sweetie. You own these planes as much as I do.” Jungeun said as she fixed her white hard hat.

The four daughters watched in fascination as they rode in a caddy that toured them around the facility. Hyunjin was particularly amused by the gigantic airplane tires being checked and attached onto a set of landing gears.

They then came next to the family ranch in Colorado where they visited the horses and cows inhabiting the ranch. Jinsol took the opportunity to teach Soeun and Hyejoo how to ride a horse. Proving to be quick learners, they were successfully able to ride a horse with ease, galloping towards the pond beyond the fields. It was an enjoyable day for the family that ended with Hyejoo teaching them how to fish.

“I learned how to fish back then. Me and Soeun were living in Busan having escaped from Daegu. I would fish at night when Soeun was sleeping so we could have fish for breakfast and save up on expenses.” Hyejoo narrated a brief summary of their time in Busan before they roamed city to city in economy bus tickets. Jinsol could only look at her daughter while she silently promised herself that she would never let any of her daughters suffer again.

They had successfully caught quite a few cod which they grilled over a fire Yerim and Soeun put up together. Soon enough, the fish was rotating over a spit roast as they watched and told stories around the fire.

“This was the first overseas trip we took that we were happy.” Hyunjin suddenly realized, voicing her thoughts aloud.

Indeed this was the first trip they took where they were in a festive mood. Back then, they would only take overseas trips to a specialist that might help Hyunjin in her condition. Every trip ended in Jinsol crying in Jungeun’s arms, frustrated that she couldn’t do anything for her child before they flew back home.

“We’re now complete. You’re getting better by the day. How could we not be happy baby? Jungeun said as she pulled Hyunjin to her, brushing her hair. Hyejoo chuckled at Hyunjin’s habits. Perhaps she wasn’t able to distinguish yet if her thoughts are voiced or not due to her keeping silent all these years. But she had a deep respect for Hyunjin as she showed genuine and steadfast interest in becoming her old self again and being their unnie.

The final day of their stay in the States culminated at a visit to New York. Soeun had always wanted to see Times Square and Jinsol made that happen for her. As they walked the iconic square, neon signs and LED screens flashed all around them. Dining at a pizzeria, al fresco, Soeun gleefully watched New Yorkers move about in their daily hustle and bustle. Yellow cabs zoomed past, scurrying to their destinations.

Has Soojin seen this already? She probably has, having been educated abroad most of her life.

“Its really bright, even in the day.” Soeun said as she watched a LED board light up with a birthday greeting of a Korean Idol. Soeun was surprised at first thinking the lady was Chaewon. Surmising that the idol resembled Chaewon a lot. She must be that idol she mentioned people mistake her for.

Jungeun looked at Soeun and smiled, seeing her have a good time. Hyejoo was busy munching on pizza while Hyunjin was video taping the moment, again. Yerim was sipping on her tea as she spun spaghetti pasta on her fork.

The family had then walked to Central Park, taking in the natural surroundings that stood apart from the concrete jungle that it found itself enveloped in. Later, they had stayed at Jinsol’s suite at the Millennium Hilton to wait for nightfall and their flight back to Korea. Stevens had made sure the family was comfortable during their stay and they appreciated his efforts to do so. Jungeun gave him a sizable bonus and a month’s paid leave once they leave the country. Thankful, the butler graciously accepted his employer’s gracious gift.

Night came and they were soon transported to Kennedy International, into the airport’s private terminal. Here, the family waited in the private lounge for the family jet’s maintenance checks and fueling to finish. Soon enough, they were inside the hangar boarding the airplane. The couple thanked their butler for a splendid job and wished him well.

An hour later and they were airborne. They would be back in Gimpo half a day later. All of this was unknown to Soojin as she sat in her room, reading her notes.

Meanwhile, Heejin and Chaewon had conferred for the past few days. Chaewon showed Heejin the photo of her aunt and Haseul together at a cafe in Downtown Seoul. Heejin had also shared that Haseul had been visiting an awful lot lately.

“I’ve been seeing aunt Haseul really often lately. She would always drop by aunt’s break time or if she wasn’t doing anythng. I’ve checked the records as you told me to and there are no records of aunt Haseul in the file cabinets.” Heejin said.

“That’s suspicious. Do you think that aunt is taking incognito counseling from Dr. Kahei?” Chaewon asked Heejin.

She had confirmed that it was a possibility since aunt Haseul was a public figure and news reaching the media that one of the most powerful CEOs in South Korea was taking psychiatric counseling could spell disaster for her. She had also recalled a similar experience back then when a popular celebrity had incognito counseling sessions with her aunt. He was a popular celebrity who was a victim of domestic abuse from his controlling wife. The male celebrity managed to stay under the radar and divorce his wife, proving to courts that he had suffered mental damage and stress because of his wife’s oppressive ways.

“Dear me. I hope aunt’s okay.” Chaewon said looking into the clouds above.

“Yeah, I’ll keep an ear out at work. We’ll get to the bottom of this.” Heejin said as she bit into an apple.

“Need me to drive anywhere for your investigation?” Jimin asked, joining in the conversation. She had finished talking to Jaehee on the phone and sat beside Chaewon.

“Mmm… no need for now. Its no use investigating aunt Haseul. Her levels of personal privacy are on a whole new level.” Chaewon told her sister.

“Aight, just lemme know when you need me.” Jimin said, professing assistance to her sister’s endeavor.

Hours later, someone knocked on Soojin’s door. Hurrying up to answer it, she was surprised to see who was on the other side.

“Hey mommy.” Soeun greeted, back from her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter