Chapter Seventy-four: Childhood

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo was rushing down the hall of the building where Jiyoon’s club room is. The literature club president was in a rush to meet with Jiyoon. She was told that Soojin was there right now with Soeun, taking a break from the club’s activities that day. She wanted to give her a heads-up as about the incident the other day. At the very least, she would tell Soojin about it so she could be ready whatever happens.

Reaching the club room, Jihyo knocks on the door before opening it. Going inside, she runs into Jiyoon who’s carrying a box with promotional material for the club.

“Hi Jihyo-ah! How are you?” Jiyoon asked, pausing for a while to chat with a co club president.

“Doing fine Jiyoon-ah! You?” Jihyo asked to which Jiyoon replied that she was doing fine. A bit tired but still enjoying the day’s festivities.

“Jiyoon-ah, is Soojin-eomma here?” Jihyo asked.

Jiyoon nodded and told her that Soojin was in the back charging her camera’s batteries. Excusing herself, the two parted ways as Jihyo went into the club room. Walking inside, Jihyo found some of the club members resting and preparing new materials inside. Greeting them, she went into the club lounge where Soojin was.

The lounge was located at the back of the club room. It’s a medium-sized room with couches and a small bed so club members could have a place to rest during their downtime. Peering into the room, Jihyo found Soojin sitting on a couch with her camera’s batteries being charged, connected to an extension cord.

“Eomma? Can we talk for a while?” Jihyo said, knocking on the open door. Soojin turned around, inviting her to sit beside her. Jihyo went to her side and told her in a hushed tone about what she had seen the day before inside the grocery store.

“A photo of me?” Soojin said in disbelief.

Jihyo said that she was sure and that she recalls the exact day when the photo was taken. This caused Soojin to think of whoever might do that. Jihyo sat beside her with worry peering out of her expression as she looked around. Leaning on the couch, Soojin thought hard who might it be.

“Maybe a stalker?” Soojin said as she tried to make light of the situation.

She had been in situations back in Canada where there was a couple of stalkers that tried to invade her life. A quick phone call got them a plain clothes police detail around them wherever they went. Eventually the two stalkers were caught by the policemen. Soojin wondered if it was going to be a repeat of that incident. She wasn’t too worried if that were the case. She was always with Soeun or her staff. She felt quite safe around them.

“Please be careful eomma.” Jihyo said as she leant on Soojin’s shoulder.

She was worried for her friend’s safety. Soojin placed her arm around Jihyo and rubbed her arm comfortingly. Assuring her that she will keep an eye out for trouble. This sent Jihyo back into her usual jolly self. Feeling a thorn removed from her side, Jihyo was able to breath easier.

“Oh hey there Jihyo-ah.” Soeun said entering the lounge room.

She had several boxes of take-out inside a plastic bag as she went out to go get lunch for them. Handing a pack to Jihyo, she sat down on Soojin’s other side. Jihyo thanked her for the food and began to eat alongside the couple.

After eating, Soojin shared with Soeun what Jihyo had told her earlier. Soeun was visibly concerned at the revelation. She offered to tell her parents about it but Soojin declines, telling Soeun that she was going to be safe and that she’ll tell her mom later.

“Are you sure? We’re here for you okay? I still have that bat.” Soeun said with a grin.

Soojin chuckled at this as she recalled how amazed she was at how good Soeun was at fighting. The way Soeun effortlessly disarmed and knocked out an entire group of men was something that kept replaying in Soojin’s mind from time to time. Her favorite part of that memory was when Soeun brushed her hair aside as she went towards her bewildered self, gawking at the tall girl in the leather jacket.

“Hey? You okay?” Soeun said placing a hand on her lap, snapping out of her morning reverie, Soojin smiled and assured her that she was okay.

The trio hang around some more until Soojin’s battery was full and they had to go back to the event. Walking out of the if the club room, the trio went on their separate ways. Soojin and Soeun went to the gymnasium to swap out their co-members covering the event. Jihyo went back to the literature club where Hyewon was probably waiting for her.

At Yongin, Jinsol had come home from a meeting that ended early. With nothing more on her plate, she opted to go home giving her personal staff an early leave from work. Driving back towards her home, Jinsol thought about her family as she cruised the streets of Seoul. She badly wants to have a holiday once again with all of her children. For a huge bulk of her married life, travel meant going to a foreign psychiatrist in an attempt to heal her Hyunjin. Their past trip to the United States was the first one in nearly two decades where their trip was made with enjoyment in mind. She loved how she slept in the seats of the jet with absolutely no worry in mind as they flew to their destination.

Passing by a cafe, Jinsol decided to stop by and bring home something for her kids and Jungeun. Her wife had the day off today so she was at home spending time with Hyunjin. Yerim was at school along with Soeun and Hyejoo was at work. She greatly admired Hyejoo for still keeping a grounded sense of self-worth despite having a major leap in her financial status. Hyejoo even used her wealth to improve her restaurant and her staff, building a small apartment to help her staff living in farther areas out of Seoul to have an easier life here in the city. This made Jinsol proud seeing her child having the wise business smarts she and Jungeun have which was instrumental to the great improvement of their own companies. Hyejoo would make a fine CEO one day, Jinsol thought as she went into the cafe. The security vehicle pulled into the parking lot and two bodyguards went with her inside.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter