Chapter Seventy-three: Family

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin woke up to a beautiful morning. Rising from her bed, she checked her phone for message and typed a greeting for Soeun. Getting up, she looked at herself in her dresser’s mirror. Tying her hair in a ponytail, Soojin smiled at her reflection. Walking to the window, she admired the blue sky and the lush garden in their backyard. It had been a week after the wedding and she was still getting used to life with her new mother in their home.

During their first day, Soojin was surprised to see Vivi up so early in the morning. She was reading from a cookbook as she made an omelet for them. Despite having difficulty, Vivi pulled it off and she was able to make a good breakfast for them. Haseul came down to a touching scene as mother and daughter ate together as Soojin leant on Vivi’s shoulder.

A light buzz from Soojin’s phone jolted her out of her reverie. It was Soeun calling her.

“Boop boop. Good morning Soojinnie!” Soeun vigorously greeted her partner.

“I missed you that’s why I called instead of texting back.” She added with a perky giggle at the end.

The pair had talked for about a couple of minutes before Soojin had to go take a bath. After a short shower, she wore a simple light pink dress. Grabbing her bag and laptop, she headed for downstairs. Exiting the room, Hyewon was walking down the hall as well; seeing her, Hyewon waited for Soojin before going down the stairs together.

Descending the stairs, the pair went to the back halls leading to the kitchen. All of a sudden, Hyewon stopped walking, motioning for Soojin to be quiet. A moment passed and Hyewon peeked into the entryway leading to the dining room. Tapping Soojin’s arm, she motioned for her to peek inside as well.

“How are you adjusting hon?” Haseul asked as she hugged Vivi from behind.

“I’m doing okay. I do get lost a couple of times though, your house is so big!” Vivi said with a giggle in the end. Haseul giggled as well, pinching Vivi’s cheek.

“Wearing a suit today love? Work?” Vivi asked as she saw Haseul wearing one of her trademark white blazers. Haseul nodded, saying she needed to confer with her executives adding that she wouldn’t be long.

The couple shared an affectionate moment, kissing before Haseul went back to her seat. Hyewon motioned for Soojin to go back down the hall. They would enter with a bit of obnoxious noise so it wouldn’t seem they were eavesdropping earlier.

Joining the couple, the two cousins sat down as they prepared to eat breakfast. Today’s meal is Pesto that Vivi had made earlier, waking up an hour earlier so she could properly prepare. This was something Soojin truly appreciates about Vivi. She heard from Heejin that her aunt doesn’t usually cook as she is too busy with her work and research. Seeing her new mother make a visible effort for her and her mom made Soojin love her even more.

Finishing the meal with freshly squeezed lemonade, they got up and prepared to go to school.

“Soojinnie, Hyewon-ah are you two going to school today?” Vivi asked, offering to drive them to school. The two agreed to the offer and they went to make one last checks on their bags and things before going back to the dining room.

Vivi kissed Haseul goodbye and put on her coat, walking with Hyewon and Soojin. She was thankful that Soojin accepted her relationship with her mother so easily. She had inquired back then and read about cases where step daughters would exhibit hostile or uncaring attitude towards their parents’ new partners.

Haseul watched the trio as they got inside Vivi’s BMW. Waving towards them as the car drove out of the gates. Lingering out in the front steps for a moment longer before getting inside her Rolls-Royce. Today, Chan-mi would be driving for Haseul.

“Please stay for a while.” Haseul told Chan-mi, who agreed and waited for his boss’ go signal.

Haseul sat on the left side, behind the driver’s seat. Opening her briefcase, she rescanned the papers she needed for today’s announcement. Taking a deep breath, Haseul composed herself.

For Soojin, Haseul thought as she gave the order for Chan-mi to drive.

Meanwhile, Vivi was chatting with Hyewon and Soojin as they stood idle at a red light.

“Yes, both me and Soojin-unnie studied at boarding schools in Canada. Auntie Haseul put Soojin in the same school as me so she wouldn’t be too lonely.” Hyewon said, answering one of Vivi’s queries.

Vivi was amazed at this. Soojin basically raised herself, she thought. She also managed to graduate at the top of her class. Vivi could somehow relate as she, despite coming from a normal, middle class family, managed to attend one of Hong Kong’s most prestigious schools through a scholarship. After that, she applied for yet another scholarship at Yale University. Succeeding, she went off to America, all alone and with a moderate budget at that. It was during those years Vivi learned a lot of life hacks. No longer was she eating her mother’s delicious home cooking. For nearly a decade, the doctor was fueled by instant ramen and powdered juice. Graduating, she had striven to build a reputable practice to further enhance her career.

“Soojin-ah? If you don’t mind me asking, how did you and Ssong meet?” Vivi asked, remembering her daughter’s relationship with Soeun.

“Well…it might be weird eomma but I ran away. I was roaming the streets of Seoul when I happened upon their restaurant. Back then it was just a small eatery in the corner, it had no name yet. Soeun-ah and Hyejoo-unnie crewed the restaurant. I mistook her for a thief and stormed off. I though she was a pickpocket as she was so close behind me. As I ran in a random direction, a group of thugs cornered me. Soeun-ah saved me and they let me stay at their place.” Soojin recalled how they met, chuckling at various points.

“Wow! Its like a fairy tale huh. Soeun-ah really is your prince.” Vivi said, giddy with glee.

Arriving at SNU’s parking lot, Vivi pulled in beside Soeun’s Maybach and let the two kids out. Giving each of them a hug, she watched them ascend the steps with her friends. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter