Chapter Forty-three: Night Ride

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyejoo woke up to a sleeping Soeun beside her, mouth agape and snoring lightly. Smiling, she ruffled her hair slightly and nudged her closer into the bed. Draping her blanket over her, she rose from bed. Walking into her spacious bathroom, Hyejoo checked her reflection against the mirror before washing her face. Glancing over at the bath tub, she decided she’d take a bath now and eat after so she wouldn’t have to go up the stairs again.

It was work day once more. Hyejoo took a week of in managing Rosy to focus on adjusting and moving in with her family. She couldn’t wait to get back to work, it was a routine that was fixed into her already. Stepping out from the bathroom, she dressed in her simple work attire. She got her bag full of personal kitchen knives that she uses when she personally prepares meals. Stuffing the apron into her backpack, she made sure that the notepad and pen she uses were inside. Kissing Soeun’s forehead, she went down with the backpack draped over her back. But not before taping a note on Soeun’s forehead, saying that she had already left for work.

Jinsol and Jungeun were sitting on the dining table, Jinsol was reading a newspaper and Jungeun was eating waffles. Greeting them both with a hug and kiss, she sat down beside Jungeun. Jinsol noticed the backpack Hyejoo was carrying.

“Going somewhere baby?” Jinsol asked.

“Yeah, I need to go back to work. My staff is waiting for me.” Hyejoo said as she took a waffle and poured herself a cup of tea.

“Sweetie, you don’t have to.” Jungeun said, knowing that Hyejoo had been working for a sizable chunk of her life already.

“Its okay mom. I’m used to this, I also want to grow Rosy into something big.” Hyejoo answered, taking a sip of green tea.

“I, we could help with that baby.” Jinsol said. The multi-billionaire could easily transform Rosy into a sizable presence in the business world in a couple of weeks.

“Its okay dad. I wanna do it myself, something to devote my life into.” Hyejoo earnestly said.

The couple looked at each other, Hyejoo was truly their child. Jinsol was briefly reminded of her great-grandfather. Lotte Corporation’s founder. The man had grew Lotte from a simple department store to a massive world-renowned commercial empire. She shared his vision and now it clearly manifesting today in Hyejoo.

“Sure sweetie. But remember, you always have us okay?” Jungeun said, brushing her hair.

“At least let us drop you off baby mmm?” Jinsol said. Hyejoo agreed to the offer.

They finished eating and Jungeun went up to Hyunjin’s room. It was time for her session with Dr. Kahei and Heejin. Soeun and Yerim had school and they would go together in Soojin’s Benz. Jungeun entered Hyejoo’s room after not finding Soeun to be in hers. She was surprised to find a note on her sleeping daughter’s forehead. She let her sleep a few more moments more as Soojin wasn’t here yet, she’d wake her up after she had gone to Yerim and Hyunjin’s room. Inside their room, Yerim had helped Hyunjin dress. She wore a comfortable combination of sweatpants and a hoodie. Neugdae was there playing with the two pups, the sisters had decided that they’d sleep together so the dogs could have companions. Today it would be just Yeoreum and Guruem.

“Ready?” Jungeun asked Hyunjin, to which she answered with an energetic nod.

They would go ahead of the two as they’d be picked-up by Soojin later. Hugging Yerim, they had went out of the room. Jungeun passed by Hyejoo’s room to gently wake Soeun. Inside, she was surprised to find Soeun already awake, reading the note taped on her forehead earlier.

“Hi mom, Hyunjin-unnie.” Soeun said, seeing them go inside.

“Hello baby. I was just about to wake you up.” Jungeun said.

“Yeah, I wake up at this hour on school days. Mondays are the days when Hyejoo-unnie goes to work early, so she makes me a note telling she already left.” Soeun explained.

“Yeah, she and your dad left earlier. She was going to make breakfast when she realized that there was already one made on the table.” Jungeun said, admiring Hyejoo’s sense of responsibility.

“Unnie finds it difficult to adjust to that part. She keeps forgetting that we have private chefs now that cook for us. She was so used to doing everything by herself.” Soeun said, getting up from bed.

“Indeed, such a responsible unnie isn’t she?” Jungeun said smiling, she had then left Soeun so she could prepare for school. They went on their way to Dr. Kahei’s clinic, Hyunjin’s most-awaited part of the week.

Soeun took a bath and changed into her usual outfit consisting of a bomber jacket-shirt combo and jeans with sneakers. She was combing her hair when a gentle knock resonated on the door.

“Soeun-unnie? May I come in?” Yerim said from outside.

“Sure come on in.” Soeun answered and heard the knob twist.

Yerim came in and sat beside Soeun, giving her a hug.

“How are you today Soeun-ah?” Yerim asked.

“I’m doing okay, thank you.” Soeun asked.

Soeun found Yerim to be a brighter, sunnier version of Hyejoo. They shared a lot of traits with Yerim being brighter tenfold than Hyejoo.

“Soeun-ah, could I join you and your friends later? I… I don’t have any friends really.” Yerim confessed. She was so focused on Hyunjin that she literally goes home after school. This caused her to be alienated by her classmates and viewed as a loner.

“Sure! Please do, I was going to ask you myself later actually.” Soeun said. She then said that they’ll be having lunch at Rosy. She had also told her about their meeting place whenever they were at school.

A butler knocked gently on the door once more, interrupting their chat. He had informed that Miss Lee had arrived and was waiting in the sitting room. They had got out of the room and thanked the butler, they had then went on their way to where Soojin was waiting. Soon, they were on their way with the couple sitting beside each other and Yerim sat beside Soeun.

“How are you Yerim-unnie?” Soojin asked.

“I’m doing fine Soojin-ah. Thank you for letting me come with you.” Yerim said.

“Of course, you’re family.” Soojin assured her which was met by a smile from Yerim.

Arriving at SNU, they found Hyewon and Jihyo waiting for them at the front steps. Chaewon was also there, typing away on her phone.

“We have a new member!” Soeun proclaimed as they converged.

“This is my Yerim-unnie!” She introduced her sister to her friends.

“This tall one is Hyewon-ah. She’s Soojin’s cousin. The cheeky one is Jihyo-ah, she’s smart and hard-working! She’s also the literature club’s president! The serious one is Chaewon-ah! She’s also really smart. She’s an advanced-level student by the way! Jiyoon-ah isn’t with us today because she’s filming a tourism video for the ministry. She’s a freelance videographer!” Soeun then went to introduce her friends to Yerim whom she greeted each formally, bowing each time.

“Its okay to talk casually with us unnie, we’re friends.” Jihyo gently said.

“We also have other friends but they’re not attending school. Heejin-ah works at a hospital, she’s a medical intern. You know her right unnie? Jimin-ah is Chaewon’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter