Chapter Fourteen: Smile!

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soeun checked her camera, it was a Canon EOS 90D. A mid-budget camera complete with accessories. She and Hyejoo had saved up for it, buying the set little by little. As she was checking the camera, making sure that the installed battery and spare batteries were fully charged. Hooking up the camera’s memory card to a card reader on her laptop, she made backups of the photos inside the camera onto the laptop’s solid state drive. She was going to use the camera for a club activity later today. While fiddling with the camera, she was softly listening to music coming from her laptop.

After the photos were successfully transferred onto the laptop, she browsed through the images one by one. Inside, were fond memories with her sister. Soeun had a fond interest for photography and other media arts that involve visuals in their mediums of expression. She fondly recalled the flip phone she used to have with a 2 mega pixel camera. She used that phone to take photos of various sceneries around Seoul whenever she and Hyejoo go out. When the phone’s memory was full, she’d take extra time to sketch the photograph onto paper before deleting it. This was before Soeun had a laptop, and even if she had, the phone didn’t have a USB connection. It was to this practice that Soeun credits with her skill in drawing today. Hyejoo had seen this and she wanted something for her sister to practice her craft more comfortably.

Hyejoo had bought this camera from a pawnshop a few weeks before Soeun’s birthday. She had it fixed and cleaned to make it as brand-new as possible. She had also asked around a few workmates from her old job about what else the camera needs to work. So she set off once more to look for a couple of lenses. Hyejoo had found a good set of pre-owned EF-S 18 135mm lenses that is a good all-rounder according to the research that she made. So that, along with a couple of brand-new batteries, straps and a tripod, Soeun’s 16th birthday gift was all ready.

The celebration was simple yet sweet. Guruem was still a small puppy by then who’d spend the day alternating between running around and sleeping on his carton bed. Hyejoo had bought Soeun a medium-sized single tier chocolate cake. She had also prepared a pitcher of their favorite watermelon smoothie. A bucket of chicken wings was also there. Soeun recalled arriving home from school to find Hyejoo in the middle of hanging a happy birthday banner. She was standing on a chair to reach the ceiling to hang the banner up. A teary-eyed Soeun came to help her sister before wrapping her in a hug. They then went on to indulge in the feast her sister made for her. Guruem also got a healthy share of chicken bones and meat. Hyejoo wasn’t the vocal or expressive type of person when it comes to affection. She’d rather show it by actions instead of words.

The celebration’s highlight came when Hyejoo pulled up a sizable non-descript box neatly tied with a blue ribbon. She handed it to Soeun with a small but meaningful smile. Soeun received the box and sat down on the couch to carefully unwrap her gift. Hyejoo waited on with excited anticipation.

As Soeun lifted the top cover, she was pleasantly surprised to find a DSLR camera and its lenses and a few accessories inlaid within. A smile formed on her lips without her even realizing it. Finally, her days of conserving her phone’s memory was gone. She could point and click to her heart’s content. Carefully setting the box aside, she hugs her sister once more.

Hyejoo hugged her only family back tightly, Guruem was also trying to wrap his front paws along their legs as if joining in on the hug. The effort of scouring Seoul’s secondhand shops and pawnshops paid of in spades. After that, Soeun had set the camera up on a tripod. She took a photo of her and Hyejoo while she was carrying Guruem. Behind them, was her birthday banner. Since then, Soeun had fondly referred to that photo as her family photo.

Soeun’s trip down memory lane was cut short by a gently rap on their bedroom door. It was Hyejoo telling her that breakfast was ready. Powering the camera down and gently placing it in its carrying case, she went out towards the living room.

“Honey! Good morning!”

Soeun was shocked to hear Soojin’s voice coming from the kitchen. She turned around to find that it was indeed Soojin who was waving at her from the kitchen. She was wearing an apron and holding a spatula in her other hand. Soojin’s staff members were there and helping with the cooking as well.

‘Your girl came early and told me not to tell you she’s here. She wanted to surprise you.” Hyejoo explained, sitting from the dining table.

Gobsmacked, she went and gave Soojin a hug. She was still shocked, Soeun asked Soojin what’s with the surprise.

“I just wanted to surprise my girl.” Soojin said before giving Soeun a light peck on the lips, slightly tiptoeing to do so.

Hyejoo rubbed her eyes in disbelief at what she saw. Not that she was against it, but she was still getting used to Soeun not resisting affectionate gestures.

The couple then continued to cook together, Min-yeong wisely gesturing Chan-mi to step back and let them have their space. They remained near the dining area, where Hyejoo was, should they need assistance. They were preparing a special omelette that Soojin had studied making over the past weeks in her spare time. She wanted Soeun to try it and even if she doesn’t cook that much, she had asked Gastogne for assistance, albeit at a discreet manner.

They were soon done and there were enough portions for everyone, including their beloved pupper. Soeun plated the food while Soojin went and served them on the table. They sat down together after finishing serving the food.

“How does it taste?” Soojin eagerly asked as Soeun took a bite.

Soeun was impressed with Soojin’s cooking. The omelette had a balanced flavor that neatly complements each key ingredient used.

“Its great!” Soeun said before taking in another spoonful.

Soojin hugged her in glee and they continued to eat. Eventually, Soojin decided to spoonfeed Soeun.

“Ahhh, jagiya.” Soojin said as she hovered a spoonful of omelette towards Soeun. Surprised, she ate the serving Soojin offered.

The couple then spoon feed each other. Hyejoo jokingly covered her eyes, she sort of wanted to in a way. She wasn’t used to intense affectionate moments like the one unfolding in front of her. Seeing this, Soeun pulled Soojin closed and kissed the top of her head. Hyejoo then slumped down on the table, giving up on these two lovebirds. Soeun roared in laughter upon seeing her unnie. Soojin had requested Soeun to wear her outfit that she wore on the night they first met. Confused, Soeun complied nevertheless.

Thankfully, the couple had finished eating and they got ready to go to school. Soeun checked her camera and bag, seeing that it was all ready and set went back out with her things in tow. She had also changed into her olive drab jacket, striped shirt and jeans with boots. Hugging her sister goodbye, she saw them off as they got into Soojin’s car and drove off.

“Oh those lovebirds.” Hyejoo said, smiling as she caressed Guruem before going back inside their house.

Inside the car, Soojin was in her usual position, her head lying on Soeun’s shoulder. The car smoothly cruised along the black asphalt towards SNU.

“Hey baby, where’s the kid?” Soeun said, reffering to Zoa.

Zoa had been tagging along with Soojin on their morning trips until her parents come back home the following month.

“Oh, she and Jihan have the day off free today. Something about a seminar that most of their professors are needed to attend.” Soojin explained Zoa’s absence.

Soeun nodded in understanding and began to brush Soojin’s hair with her fingers. Soojin spotted Soeun’s camera case beside them laying on top of her bag. She was curious and asked her if she could see it, Soeun agreed and opened the case for her.

“Hyejoo u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter