Chapter Fifty-nine: Plans, Confession and Dinner

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heejin blinked in disbelief as she listened to Soojin share what her mother’s executive secretary had told her moments ago. Soojin herself couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Its not that she’s against the good  doctor and whatever she and her mom may have. What’s bothering Soojin is the cloak and dagger approach Haseul has been using lately. The late nights, coming home the next day, the sudden fashion change, all of these struck Soojin odd. But what she appreciates is that Haseul has been smiling more often and there’s this new spring in her mother’s step. If Dr. Kahei is to thank, then Soojin owes her a lot.

“Wait auntie arrived by a taxi cab today.” Heejin suddenly realized.

“Yeah, Ha Joo-ssi told me that the purchase happened today and the car was in transit as we speak. Perhaps to her condominium unit?” Soojin told Heejin. Maybe the car was going to her flat, Haseul wouldn’t risk such a high-profile gift being given to a doctor working in a hospital which she owns. Her mother had a flair for grandeur but with her recent behavior, Soojin was confident she’d take the secretive approach.

Meanwhile at the top floor conference room, everything was going smoothly. Haseul coolly sat down on her seat, stealing a few furtive glances at Kahei who tried not to squirm to much. Dr. Kang, with Dr. Kahei’s assistance, gave a superb presentation of their proposed policy shift. Haseul couldn’t help but be smitten by Vivi’s eloquence and charm, but she reminded herself that she was here as the Chairwoman of the Board and she had to act like it. Straightening her back, Haseul went to watch the presentation with her usual attention to detail in play.

The duo was done with the presentation after five more minutes, standing to either side of the smart board, they poised to wait for questions coming from the audience.

Haseul’s perfectly manicured hand rose up.

“Yes, Jo sajang-nim?” Dr. Kang gestured at Haseul who gracefully faced them as she sat.

“Will this policy cover mental health treatments as well? Will we have enough facilities for the terminally ill treatments?” Haseul asked.

“Yes sajang-nim. The proposed policy shall also cover psychiatric counselling and other treatment methods related to psychiatry. As of the moment, according to the data gathered by the nephrology department, we lack a few more machines for dialysis to operate at peak capacity.” Dr. Kahei answered the question. Seeing that Haseul nodded and took this into consideration with a smile, she felt a knot in her stomach form and turn as she looked at her.

“That’s good. As for the machines needed, I’ll be happy to provide the hospital with them. I shall have my financial advisors confer with the Director of Finance shortly after this meeting. I vote for this policy revision.” Haseul said, casting her vote.

The other board members had also approved of the proposal and thus the meeting adjourned in a good note. The board members had talked a bit amongst each other and the doctors before leaving. Haseul stayed along with Drs. Kahei and Kang.

“Jo sajang-nim, thank you for approving this proposal. This would greatly help a lot of people.” Dr. Kahei shook her hand as she thanked her.

Haseul mentally chuckled at this. What’s with the honorifics dear Vivi? She thought as she accepted Kahei’s outstretched hand, shaking it. Dr. Kang had also expressed her gratitude for the matter. The trio had chatted a bit more, talking about concerns and possible improvements that can be made to the hospital. Before long, Kang had to excuse herself as she had surgery scheduled an hour from now.

“Jo sajang-nim? Oh Vivi, you’re cute.” Haseul as they walked out of the conference room. Vivi blushed as they walked to the elevator bay. She was still recovering from the shock earlier.

“You could have at least told me that you owned this hospital, Haseul-ah.” Vivi whispered as they waited for an elevator. Haseul chuckled at this and she apologized, thinking that Vivi already knew.

“Well we met at Jinsol-ssi’s party.” Vivi defended her ignorance as they went into the elevator.

As the two stood there, Haseul pressed a special sequence that will take the elevator directly to their floor without stopping at any other floor. Scooting close to Kahei, Haseul asked if she could drop by her office today. Kahei said it wasn’t a problem and she was welcome there. Haseul’s staff had notified her that the car was delivered successfully at Vivi’s parking slot and she was en route to the hospital to give her the key. Haseul messaged her to go to Kahei’s office, giving her the room number of the clinic.

Meanwhile, Heejin and Soojin are playing around in the office. The secretary had come back and was sitting at her table. They were all surprised when Haseul and Kahei go inside. Heejin greeted the two and asked if they needed anything. Soojin on the other hand, asked the two how did the meeting go.

“Well, it went well dear. Your mom approved of the new policies.” Kahei answered as she accepted Soojin’s outstretched arms, going in for a hug. Soojin wanted to be extra nice to Kahei since she has a credible hunch that she was her mom’s new friend. A small way of thanking her, Soojin thought.

The two then go inside Kahei’s personal office. Heejin and Soojin shared a glance as they watched them go inside. Moments later, one of Haseul’s staff comes into the room asking for her boss. The secretary showed the newcomer to Kahei’s office, knocking on the door and letting her inside.

“Ma’am, here’s the keys.” The staff member said after greeting the two inside. Handing Haseul the keys, she had left as quickly as she arrived. Haseul turned the keys around, looking at the key and the fob attached to it.

“For you, Vivi-ah.” Haseul said as she placed the keys into Vivi’s hand, her palm lingering on Vivi’s a bit longer than needed. Surprised, Vivi looked at the key, seeing it bore the BMW emblem.

“Haseul-ah! Its too much.” Vivi said in shock.

Oh crushing on this lady is stressful, Vivi thought to herself. First she finds out she’s the Chairwoman, now she gives her a car. A BMW no less! She couldn’t think of what to say or do so she just cradled the keys in her hand. Haseul then gently closed Vivi’s fingers over the keys, gently pushing it towards Vivi.

“A little thanks for the outfit you gave me.” Haseul said, grasping at straws to form a valid excuse of her unexpected and extravagant gift.

A car?! For an outfit? Vivi thought to herself. This was one extraordinary woman. She thought to herself as she chuckled while shaking her head gently.

“Well you could alternatively think of it as a company car…if you will.” Haseul said with a wink.

Oh great, there goes that wink again. Vivi thought to herself as her insides fluttered and she struggled to conceal that excitement building up within her. Moments later, Haseul was able to successfully convince Vivi to keep the car keys. She told her that the car was waiting for her back at her parking slot at home.

“I have to go now Vivi, see you soon okay?” Haseul said as she stood up, she could not linger long as Soojin was with her.

“Haseul-ah.” Vivi called after her. Haseul turned around just before she reached the door, asking what was it.

“Movie night?” Vivi asked.

“Mmm… indeed movie night.” Haseul said smiling as she waved goodbye.

Over at Yongin, Chaewon drove up the gates, parking beside Hyejoo’s Bentley. She heard from Hyejoo the other day that she had finally gotten her driver’s license. She could finally use her vehicles in the open. Chaewon asked the approaching butler if Hyejoo was here. He confirmed her query and so she thanked him and off she went into the house.

Chaewon found Hyejoo in the backyard. She was eating pizza as she looked out at the lushful garden. Hugging her from behin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter