Chapter Fifty-eight: Dating a CEO

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haseul was eating dinner with Soojin later that night. She and Soojin were talking amiably as they ate. Hyewon and Yeojin were also with them and they ate quietly. Haseul apologized for disappearing earlier. Luckily, Soojin didn’t mind at all and understood.

“I met with a friend earlier. Sorry baby.” Haseul apologized for disappearing out on her.

“Its okay eomma. I was worried because you didn’t come home last night. The staff told me.” Soojin said.

Haseul’s heart had skipped a beat as she recalled last nights events.

The two had finished watching the movie and they were watching random documentaries that they fancied. Eventually, they settled on a documentary about mysteries around the world. She and Kahei sat side by side as they watched the show. Moving closer to Kahei, she didn’t react at all. This relieved Haseul and she discreetly glanced at Kahei who was intently watching the show. The slate black hair fluttered daintily as a gentle breeze from the air conditioner circulated around the room.

Haseul was stifling a yawn when she felt Kahei’s hand gently guide her head onto her shoulder. Gently pinching her cheek, Kahei told her to rest for awhile on her shoulder. Haseul complied and remained resting on Kahei’s shoulder. It reached a point where there was a shocking revelation in the story where Haseul yelped in surprise. Kahei held her to prevent her from falling off the couch.

Hours passed and they were already sleeping. Out of habit, Haseul sleepily wrapped her arms around Kahei as she reclined sidewards on the couch. Kahei didn’t resist and held Haseul’s hand over her stomach as they slept. This was what Haseul woke up to earlier today. Later, Kahei gave Haseul the outfit she was wearing as a remembrance of their first sleepover.

“Mom? You okay?” Soojin asked.

“Yea-yeah! I’m okay! Sorry baby, mom’s thinking about stuff.” Haseul said, excusing her sudden spacing out. She then remembered that she had to go to the hospital tomorrow. She asked Soojin if she wanted to go with her. Soojin was worried why her mom was going to the hospital, was she sick?

“No no darling. Its just tomorrow was the day we meet about the revamps being made to terminal patient care systems. I’m sorry darling its important, a lot of people could benefit from this. Especially those in the lower classes.” Haseul said apologizing she had to go to work.

“No mom, its okay. I’ll come with you! I’m proud of what you’re doing to help mom.” Soojin replied. She loved her mother’s philanthropic efforts and had greatly admired and supported them ever since. Hyewon and Yeojin opted to stay here and watch TV dramas that were going to air tomorrow at a popular streaming service.

They had soon retired to their rooms, Yeojin and Hyewon went ahead to Soojin’s room. Soojin went with Haseul to her bedroom. She wanted to ask her mother something.

“Mom is everything okay? You’ve been acting strange lately.” Soojin asked as they sat on the side of her bed. She placed an assuring hand over her mother’s shoulder as she looked at her.

“I’m okay dear. I’m just meeting with friends. That’s all.” Haseul said in an attempt to assure Soojin that nothing was amiss. Well, nothing negative to be specific.

“Mom, Jinsol-appa and Jungeun eomma was home last night. Who is it?” Soojin asked. She knew full well that these two were her mother’s only friends.

“A new friend. She’s a mutual friend of Jinsol-ah. I’m okay baby.” Haseul hugged Soojin thanking her for her concern. She tucked her mother in and complimented her before she left.

“Cute outfit by the way!” Soojin said referring to the outfit Haseul was wearing earlier. The one Vivi gave her.

Soojin rejoined her cousins as they lay in bed. How she wished she could sleep beside Soeun tonight. Now that she thought of it, she made a mental note to invite Soeun here. Now that everything was clear between everyone. She’d swap Yeojin for Soeun one of these nights.

Day came and Heejin woke up. Seeing that Chaewon and Jimin were still sleeping, she got off the bed and checked the time on her phone. It was still five in the morning, no wonder those two were still sleeping. Going out, she could see the breaking sunlight out of the windows by the kitchen.

Starting up the stove, Heejin went to work, cooking a meal for the three of them. Finishing shortly after, Heejin ate her portion and she took a quick shower after. She had also set aside the portions for Jimin and Chaewon before she went to the bathroom.

Dressing in her scrubs, glanced at the coat and stethoscope Hyunjin gave her on her birthday. She wasn’t authorized yet to wear a doctor’s coat like Kahei but she promised herself that she’d wear one. For her parents and Hyunjin. Kissing the rabbit ornament on the stethoscope, she got her bag and went to work. She was early, so she figured she’ll just take a cab.

Kahei woke up with a perky feeling. Today was the day she’ll meet along with key doctors and their board members. It was to be the deciding day of the hospital’s new policies for terminally ill patients. If approved, these policies would exercise great leniency upon their patients especially those in the lower income brackets. This would allow the marginalized to seek and receive treatment and significantly reduced costs in some cases, at no cost at all.

But deny as she might, there was another reason why Kahei was so energetic. Gazing at her couch, she could no longer deny it. She thoroughly enjoys Haseul’s company. They had talked a lot that night until they fell asleep. Her intelligent and witty banter proved to strike great interest at her. She was pretty and kind-hearted as well. There was something about her that can make a 100 dollar hoodie look like it was designed by an Italian fashion house.

Truly she hoped that the board of directors would approve of the policy change. As she walked to the elevator, her phone buzzed. It was Haseul, greeting her a good morning. Moving to the side, Kahei quickly  typed a response.

Chaewon woke up about two hours later to Jimin’s noise outside. Rising from her bed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter