Chapter Sixty-nine: Complete

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Several months passed and everything was going incredibly well. Vivi had been visiting regulary at Soojin’s house and had even stayed the night in some occasions. Soojin loved chatting with Vivi and on more than one occasion she had imparted her with words to live by.

“Sweetie. If it makes you happy and it doesn’t hurt anyone, it doesn’t have to make sense.” Vivi told Soojin as they talked under the moonlit sky one sleepless night. She wanted to ask Vivi about her thoughts on her relationship with Soeun and how she was afraid to be judged by those around them. Vivi then reminded her that her mother was one of the most influential people in South Korea and she doesn’t care how the media or rumor mongers portray her.

Needless to say, the bond between Soojin and Vivi deepened over time. They went out on dinner together at time. Soojin was even dropped off to school by Vivi when her schedule allowed it. Soeun noticed this and she was extremely happy for her girlfriend. Soojin could finally feel what it’s like to have a complete family. She could see how happy Soojin was whenever the conversation drifted towards Vivi.

“Vivi eomma is really smart! She knows a lot of things about human behavior and stuff.” Soeun remembered Soojin excitedly tell Jihyo as they at a nearby McDonald’s. They were chatting happily about their families and Soojin brought up her Vivi eomma out of the blue.

Jihyo and the gang took this very positively, Soojin was already recognizing Dr. Kahei as part of her family. Soeun prayed that everything would be smooth sailing from now on. Soeun heard that Vivi would be picking Soojin up later after school.

“Oh. Eomma auntie Min-yeong hasn’t been around lately.” Jihyo asked as she recalled that she hadn’t seen Soojin’s personal assistant in a while.

“Min-yeong unnie went visiting her family. I asked her to, it has been quite a while since she last came home to her hometown. I’m doing quite well lately anyways.” Soojin explained. The others nodded and went back to eating lunch. Pretty soon, they were walking back to campus for their next classes.

Kahei was sitting in her desk, reviewing the file for the last patient for the day. Buzzing the intercom, Kahei told her secretary to let the patient in. Moments later, Heejin was guiding the patient inside.

“Hi auntie Kahei!” Hyunjin greeted her as she walked to the couch. She was now walking without a cane, several months of physical therapy and guidance given by Heejin allowed Hyunjin to steadily recover. Pretty soon, she had the springy gait of a feline to match with her dynamic personality.

Vivi greeted her and they began their counseling session. Their last of many in fact. Hyunjin had recovered greatly since the return of Hyejoo and Soeun to the Jung Family. She could no longer find eminent signs of trauma from her past in her behavior. Hyunjin is naturally preppy and b with child-like energy.

“How do you feel lately Hyunjin-ah?” Vivi asked as Hyunjin reclined on the therapy chair.

“Great! Hyejoo-ya and Soeun-ah is really great to be around with! Hyejoo-ya is likely to smack you on the head when you do something annoying though. But she’s really kind and protective! Soeun-ah is really tall. Weird because she’s our youngest sister. But she’s really adorable and soft despite her similar aura to Hyejoo-ya.” Hyunjin trailed off as she described the life that she has now. Vivi smiled at this as she took notes while Hyunjin droned on about the activities their family had did together.

“Oh! Auntie Kahei! Hyejoo-unnie got another branch! She opened it just last week and we were there. There was a lot of food and fun music. Mom and dad are so proud as they watched my sister cut the ribbon marking the opening of her new restaurant. It was a really cool day, I’m sure that soon Hyejoo-ya will have an empire of Rosy’s!” Hyejoo trailed on remembering the recent achievement of her youngest triplet.

Vivi smiled to herself as she watched Hyunjin drone on about her experiences. She had stopped taking notes a moment ago. She could no longer find any psychological problems in her patient. Instead, Vivi leaned in and listened to Hyunjin’s stories. All Hyunjin really talked about was her family, her niece Heejin, and bread. For Vivi, seeing a former recluse actively share something especially her thoughts was a big thing.

Almost an hour had passed and it was time. Hyunjin had also told her fill of stories and Vivi was for certain regarding the judgement that she was going to render. Vivi opened her notebook once more and scribbled a few lines into the ornate paper.

“Patient has fully recovered. Recovery is at optimal process. Certified for release.” Vivi jotted this down and closed the book. Sliding it into her drawer, Vivi stood up and gave Hyunjin a hug.

“All done auntie?” Hyunjin said while looking at her earnestly. Smiling, Vivi gave a subtle nod.

Upon seeing that it was indeed their last day together, Hyunjin’s face bore an expression of sadness mixed with joy. Seeing this, Vivi assured her that they could always see each other.

“Really?!” Hyunjin asked.

“Of course! You could always drop by Soojin’s place. I’m often visiting over there. Also, you could ask your Heejin to drop by my place.” Vivi told her as she scribbled her address on her doctor’s pad. A smiling Hyunjin gleefully accepted the paper and slid it in her purse.

Kahei accompanied Hyunjin outside and saw Heejin chatting with Jungeun. Vivi approached Jungeun and gave her a warm hug. Jungeun thanked her for helping her daughter recover.

“Oh I couldn’t take all the credit. Heejin here and Chaewon did most of the heavy lifting that contributed to Hyunjin-ah’s recovery.” Vivi told Jungeun who simply chuckled.

“Oh doctor. But still, if it weren’t for you Hyunjin wouldn’t have met Heejin-ah.” Jungeun said as she gently tapped Vivi’s arm. The doctor relented and retorted that she wouldn’t have met Haseul if not for her and Jinsol. Chuckling the two ladies hugged once more before Hyunjin looped her arm around her mother’s. Kahei and Heejin walked the mother and daughter to the elevator bay, wishing them well and not to be a stranger. Hyunjin promised that she’ll visit soon and blew a kiss towards the doctor and her intern before the elevator doors closed.

Walking back, Vivi joked that Heejin should still report for work early even if Hyunjin won’t be coming anymore. Laughing, Heejin assured her that she will still show up for work. Chuckling, they head back inside the clinic.

As Kahei sat down, she saw her calendar. Today’s date was encircled. Thinking, Kahei tried to remember the reason why it was encircled. When all of a sudden Kahei remembered.

It was Soojin’s birthday! Kahei recalled as she shot up from her chair and went right back outside.

“Something wrong?” Heejin asked after seeing her aunt flustered.

“Soojin’s birthday!” Kahei said as she rushed to the door. Heejin followed her and soon enough they were both inside an elevator heading to the underground parking lot.

“Already got a gift in mind? Heejin asked her aunt as the elevator car descended.

“Yeah, I hope she’ll like it. Soojin-ah has been wanting this for so long all her life.” Kahei cryptically replied to which Heejin just shrugged at. Tossing her the keys, Heejin walked ahead as the elevator doors opened. The intern went to Kahei’s BMW and started the engine, warming the vehicle for a couple of moments as Kahei got in.

Heejin glanced over at Kahei as she nervously fiddled inside her clutch bag. From the opened cabin light, Heejin could see a small, square box inside. She thought that it must have been the gift that Kahei got for Soojin. Shrugging, Heejin gently stepped on the gas pedal and they slowly inched out of their parking lot.

Over at SNU, Soeun was rushing towards the literature club. In her hand was a bouquet of flowers and a box tied with a ribbon. Deftly maneuvering through the crowds like during her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter