Chapter Eighty: Who Are You?

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following day was a hectic day for Soojin. She had hardly slept in worry especially when the news broke through that the man who was possible stalking her was a suspected criminal mastermind. Haseul wasted no time in upping the security around the house and her daughter. Sooyoung as promised, sent help in the form of several vans’ worth of security personnel. Most of Sooyoung’s paramilitary group consists of former soldiers serving in various militaries around the world. She had ensured the loyalty of those whom she sent to Soojin’s residence to help guard the family.

Jinsol heard of the incident and volunteered to help keep an eye on Soojin when she’s out of the house. She also told Haseul she would check around her contacts for more information regarding this Jung-su person. Sooyoung as well would look into the matter as well. Her discreet line of work could prove useful in this pressing matter.

“Soojin? Dearie?” Haseul was knocking on Soojin’s door. Calling her to come inside, Haseul went in and went straight to her.

“Be careful okay? Call us if there’s anything happening okay?” Haseul said with worry dripping in her voice as she hugged her only daughter tight.

Soojin nodded and asked how Hyewon was doing. Haseul told her that Hyewon was okay, she had diplomatic security since her parents are now stateside. Jin-woo is scheduled to take over the foreign ministry in a week.

Before leaving the room, Haseul told her that Vivi would be going with her to drop her off to school before going to work. With her mother gone, Soojin went to get ready for school. After getting dressed, Soeun called her. Picking up the phone, Soeun asked her how she was doing and that they would pass by her house upon the agreement made by both of their parents.

“Okay Soeunnie, see you. I love you.” Soojin said.

“I love you too mommy.” Soeun replied in a flirtatious tone before hanging up. My girlfriend must be panicking right now, she thought as she chuckled. They were already on their way to Soojin’s home and they were about ten minutes away.

Soojin was blushing as she put down her phone. She missed those nicknames she and Soeun call each other. Stifling a scream, she began to check her things before heading out of her room.

Downstairs, Haseul was talking with Dae-woo, the Jung family’s security chief, along with Vivi. Greeting them a good morning, Soojin went to kiss and hug her parents. She noticed that Vivi was tense, yet she would always soften up whenever she talked to her.

Seeing Soeun go in along with Yerim, Soojin went towards the siblings. Immediately, Yerim asked Soojin how she was doing lately. Relieved to know that Soojin was faring better, Yerim gave her a hug.

Stepping aside, Yerim went to listen to what was going on among the adults. There might be something important that they would need to know. Meanwhile, Soeun handed Soojin a packet.

“It’s a cream cheese sandwich. I forgot I can’t eat them, hehe. I got it unintentionally because I was thinking of you earlier.” Soeun said with a chuckle as she handed Soojin the sandwich.

“When are you not thinking of me daddy? Hmm?” Soojin whispered, flirting with Soeun. There was no way that she would let the attempt made earlier slide.

Instead of answering, Soeun just kissed Soojin’s forehead and pulled her into herself, locking her in a hug. Soojin inhaled Soeun’s scent and felt the familiar tough fabric of her leather jacket. Aigoo, this girl is really making me fall harder, Soojin thought as she hugged her even more tighter.

Soojin ate the sandwich on the way to school. Soeun’s Maybach was driving just behind hers as they drove in a tight formation with the security vehicles forming a tight ring around the vehicles. Looking around, Soojin was slightly embarrassed at the intense security around her. The protection level around her was probably equal to the President. It attracts attention and Soojin was slightly uneasy about that. In her mind, the grand convoy paints a bigger target upon her and those around her, putting them in danger as well.

“Thank you for coming with me appa. I’m afraid that you’ll just get in danger as well.” Soojin said as she leaned on Vivi’s shoulder. She was slightly sleepy as she kept waking up in the wee hours of the morning.

“Shh child. I’m your parent now. Even if you didn’t come from me, you’re my daughter and I’ll do everything I can to make sure you’re safe.” Vivi said as she rubbed Soojin’s back.

Soojin kissed Vivi’s cheek in thanks and went back to leaning on her shoulder. Eomma really chose well this time, Soojin said to herself as she closed her eyes for a quick nap. Despite the danger, she felt safe. Vivi was beside her and Soeun was just behind her.

Arriving at school, Vivi walked with Soojin, dropping her off at her building before leaving for work. Yerim was escorted towards her building. Before she left, she hugged everyone and wished Soojin well.

“I’ll just drop my daughter off.” Vivi said to the security personnel as she presented identification.

Soojin felt flustered as she walked with her father. This had been the first time that Soojin was dropped off school by her parent. Holding Vivi’s hand tight, she walked with happiness burning in her heart. Soojin felt like a happy and proud grade schooler who’s being dropped off by her parents at school. Vivi hugged Soojin and Soeun before she left.

At a hidden building on the outskirts of Seoul, Sooyoung was conferring with a group of men and women. Sitting at the head of the table, she glanced around the members of her inner circle. The secretive nature of these individuals suggested that everything they are practicing is not entirely viewed in a positive light.

Or even a legal one.

“Consigliere, I have someone for you to look for.” Sooyoung said as she slid a manila envelope towards the old man seated at the right side from her. This man was the principal underboss for Sooyoung’s organization.

The old man, consigliere as everyone had called him, took the enveloped in his aging hands. Prying the flap with care, he then slid out a sheet of legal-sized paper. On it was an image of Jaehee’s sketch. She had gotten a copy from one of her daughter’s friends

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter