Chapter Seventeen: Best Friends

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thank you Soojin-ah, Soeun-ah! See you around!” Chaewon and Heejin thanked them with a bow as they parted ways.

They had been together earlier, spending time at an arcade after classes. Soojin had a grand time at the whack-a-mole machine. She started thumping the moles gently with the hammer, Soeun had to teach her how to properly play the game so she could win points. Soeun went to play the motorcycle game, winking at Soojin as if she was a real biker impressing a damsel she fancied. Soojin blushed at her girl’s attempts at flirting. Heejin played with the boxing machine, beating the high score. The machine spat out a thousand tickets or so as a reward. She then played with Chaewon at the hockey table. The new friends had a grand time together.

Jihan and Hyewon had went off to see a movie that Jihan had been wanting to see. They were at the mall’s cinema and they’d probably be back a couple of hours later. Soojin and Soeun then went to the nearby cafe to wait for the two. Heejin had to go to her aunt’s clinic for work. Chaewon opted to tag along with Heejin to keep her company. She needed a place to write down her assignments as well.

“Those two sure are cute huh.” Heejin observed as they stood on a descending escalator.

“Yeah, they’re like newlyweds.” Chaewon agreed to her best friend’s statement.

Chaewon had admired how those two care for each other. She watched Soeun patiently guide Soojin on how to play the various arcade games. She later shined at the dance machine, grabbing the attention of almost everyone inside. Heejin however, was busy beating the daylights out of the machine. She spied a vacant claw game and off she went to test her luck. It held pretty solid and she got a couple of stuffed animals. A stuffed duck, chick and wolf were her latest additions to her collection. Proudly tucking them in her bag, she came back just in time to see the punching bag machine spit out a steady stream of tickets at Heejin. She had genuinely enjoyed the couple’s company. She also remembered that they hadn’t met Jihan and Hyewon yet, she was looking forward to that.

They had reached the ground floor and they went to pick up some office supplies Chaewon needed for her schoolwork. Going into a bookstore, they got some graphing paper, pencils and pens. She added a cute butterfly memo pad. She had an affinity for cute stationeries and stuffed animals. Chaewon would buy things that she finds cute but she’d just stash them in her room.

“Oooh. Another one for the collection huh.” Heejin commented when she saw Chaewon putting the memo pad in the basket. Chaewon simply chuckled in response as they went to check out. Heejin knew that there would be another addition in Chaewon’s drawer of cute curiosities.

As they were waiting in line, Chaewon’s phone buzzed. Judging from the number, she guessed it was a number coming from South America. On the screen was an international number. Great, my phone bill’s racking up again. Chaewon thought as she picked the call up.

“Hola sis!” A cheerful and beautiful voice was on the other side.

“Jimin.” Chaewon said contemptuously.

“So, what’re you up to this time?” She added after a short while.

“I’m currently in Bolivia! Uyuni’s Salt Flats were amazing!” Jimin exclaimed, recounting her day’s adventure exploring the forests of South American Bolivia.

Chaewon is the older sister to an adventurous and sporty Jimin. She’s older by a year and that’s about the only thing that they have resembling a positive relation. Jimin loves to travel and meet new people and try new things. Chaewon however, is perfectly content indoors with her nose deep in her books that only she can understand.

Chaewon had even nicknamed Jimin as Monday. Naming her after the week’s first day because of her hate towards it. Despite that, Chaewon cares for Jimin and she tries to be there for her whenever she needs her. She had been the subject of many shenanigans whenever she’d travel with Jimin during vacation time. Embarrassment is something she sorely hates but she’d put up with it if its for her sister.

“That’s nice Jimin-ah. You could tell me about them when you come home. Overseas calls are expensive.” Chaewon said, emphasizing the last word.

“Ah yes! Unnie speaking about home, I’m going to fly home tommorow.”

This caught Chaewon by surprise. Usually, Jimin comes home when their mother calls her back or when its festival seas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter