Chapter Eighteen: Homecoming

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Korean Air Boeing 787 landed on one of the runways of Gimpo International Airport. It had come from a long flight from Santa Cruz Bolivia ferrying both tourists and Koreans coming home. One of its passenger was a purple-haired adventurer coming home. Gazing out onto the morning skyline surrounding Gimpo, she was eager to come home once again. Jimin was excited to be with her sister once more.

Traveling the wildlands and forests of Bolivia and Peru were an exhilarating experience. From the Bolivian  salt flats to the numerous ancient ruins and pyramids dotting the Latin countries. Browsing through her phone, she saw photos of herself and the Macchu Pichu ruins. This was where her Peruvian escapades started

Arriving there after a 300 meter hike, traversing the Inca trail. The view she witnessed of the ruined city was worth the tiring effort. Almost as impressive as the ruins themselves is the spectacular backdrop of steep, lush, and often cloud-shrouded mountains. As Jimin stood near the caretaker's hut, looking out over Machu Picchu, the jungle-covered mountains, and the river far below, she can clearly understand why the Ancient Incas chose this place to build their city.

Inca ruins have been used in the foundations of many of the lovely old colonial buildings lining the narrow roads, showcasing the city's long history. Jimin saw this fact for herself as she walked the streets of Cusco. She felt as if she was walking inside a museum instead of a village. The main square, Plaza de Armas, in the city center is home to the Cathedral and La Compania, two equally impressive structures that she found amazing. Jimin partook in a guided tour of the village to find out about its legacy and she tried Peruvian cuisine at the restaurant.

Jimin’s Peruvian escapades culminated at the mysterious Nazca lines. It was indeed an unusual sight but she wanted to go through it to bring home for Chaewon to see, her older sister believes in aliens. The huge lines drawn on the desert floor is an unusual sight as she flew over the area in a chartered Cessna plane. Snapping photos of it here and there, she had also drew the lines when she came back to the hotel. The Nazca Lines were so big that it requires an aerial view to be fully seen, which is why there are almost no land tours of the landmark.

After her stint in Peru, she had transitioned over onto nearby Bolivia. Visiting the famous Salar de Uyuni or the Uyuni Salt flats. This is one of the flattest places in the world. Its 4000 square mile expanse were once a prehistoric lake. She had rented a 4x4 buggy to travel across the vast expanse. Her GoPro camera captured the entire experience of her roaring through the landscape. Occasionally stopping at the salt-made structures dotting the landscape. Extending her stay in the area allowed her to witness the salt flats during rain. Rainfall had caused the cemented salt to look like a mirror, perfectly reflecting the sky above. A truly out of this world experience, to walk among the clouds in a technical sense.

As Jimin roamed the streets of Bolivia, sampling the local delicacies, she was struck by a weird feeling. She had missed Chaewon dearly. While relaxing on her hotel room balcony, she had suddenly scrolled upon a video of her and Chaewon when they were kids. In that video, they were being two noisy kids having fun running around their backyard. Chaewon tripped and fell, Jimin ran to her aid. Jimin was younger by a year, but she was the more headstrong of the two. So she had assumed the role of Chaewon’s protector. As they progressed through school, they took two vastly different paths. Chaewon had become a shut-in academician and Jimin had become the captain of their school’s volleyball team. They were both intelligent young ladies who got high grades while maintaining their extra curricular vocations. Chaewon had become the school’s top student and had represented the school in various academic competitions locally and internationally.

The trip down their childhood memories had elicited her to call home, her sister specifically. As expected, she was still the dour but caring unnie that she knew and loved most. Chaewon’s demeanor greatly comforted her as she sat alone watching the bustling Bolivian community below. As they exchange teases and snide remarks, she had decided to fly home the next morning and she informed her sister. Hanging up, she quickly booted up her laptop to check for flights back home to Seoul at the earliest possible opportunity. There was still a vacant slot at a flight leaving tonight. According to the flight details, the estimated time of arrival would be around tommorow morning at around 10AM. Jimin had to pay extra to secure the ticket but she didn’t mind. Quickly rushing to pack her bags, she checked out of the hotel way earlier than she had originally planned. Catching a cab to the airport, she had eagerly waited the remaining five hours before departure.

As Jimin watched the aircraft descend from the skies and slowly halt on the runway. She felt that Chaewon was well within reach now. She was probably over waiting at the terminal where she’d be going to in a few moments. She heared the plane’s flight attendance give one last safety reminder and thanking them for flying with the airline. The seatbelts on light had flickered off and up she went to get her luggage.

Chaewon was waiting with Heejin at the arrivals terminal. They had been there for quite some time. She had wanted to be there early to pick her sister up. The last time she went home, she was late and she later found Jimin on Namsan Tower after a couple hour

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter