Chapter Nineteen: Distress

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a regular day at SNU for the couple. They hung out at one of the open fields after classes, sitting on the lush green grass. Soon enough, they could already hear Hyewon’s cheery voice from a distance. Soojin turned around to indeed find her cousin already with Jihyo, making a beeline for the two of them. They gave each a hug as they approached and joined them on the grass.

“How’s school?” Soojin asked the both of them.

They went on about their hectic schedule and numerous projects that were due at the same time with their testing periods. Jihyo then went on to say that Hyewon’s Korean had significantly improved. She could already talk like a local with the matching accent and idioms to boot. This made Hyewon grin widely as Jihan recounted her successful tutorial sessions every weekend with Hyewon.

“The right person could make anything easy.” Hyewon said with a glazy look towards Jihyo.

Hearing this caused the couple to raise and eyebrow, however before Soeun could comment a familiar voice was heard.

“Hi there.”

Soeun had turned around to see Chaewon standing behind them. She was wearing jeans and a blouse with her book bag hanging by her side.

“Hello Chaewon-ah, wanna join us?” Soeun offered her.

Chaewon nodded and went towards the little circle, Soojin turned around and waved towards her. Sitting down in the middle of Soeun and Jihyo. The latter recognized who was the person sitting beside her.

“Hello, you two must be Soojin-ah’s kids. She talks about you two a lot.” Chaewon said giving a small smile.

“Y-yes. Indeed we are. You’re Park Chaewon right? I’ve heard so much about you. You’ve easily topped the CSATs and you’re one of the two students in the Physics Department to be given accelerated status.” Jihyo rattled on in quick succession.

“Yes you’re quite right.” Chaewon said with a smile.

“Ah! Mianhae! I’m Han Jihyo and this is Jo Hyewon. Pleased to meet you!” Jihan quickly apologized and introduced herself and Hyewon.

Chaewon assured them that it was okay and she didn’t mind much. She also told the two that she was happy to finally meet them, adding that they can approach her for help if they needed so.

“Ah Soeun-ah! I’ve went to your sister’s restaurant the other day! It was quite a treat.” Chaewon shared, remembering the delectable food Hyejoo served them.

Soeun was happy that Chaewon liked the restaurant. It had grown immensely in the past months. Starting from a small rental space near their house, Rosy was relocated a mile or two. It was still in the same neighborhood, but it was in a bigger space now.

Chaewon had also shared that her younger sister, Jimin had come home during the same day. She was excited to introduce her to her new friends. The four had expressed interest in Jimin as well, expressing interest to meet her too.

As the group talked and played around, Chaewon observed Soeun. She was undeniably beautiful. Soeun’s meek eyes give off an appealing and disarming vibe. Her facial structure also complements her bangs, framing her pretty face well. Chaewon’s thoughts then drifted to Hyejoo. She was shorter by a couple inches when compared to Soeun, but Soeun towered beside her. Hyejoo had similar striking features with Soeun. These sisters can easily have anyone’s attention in the crowd by just showing their faces. Hyejoo’s uniquely shaped triangular lips added much to her appeal as well as her deep-set piercing eyes.

Jihyo could see that the people passing by them were looking at them and talking amongst each other. She also noticed that most of the passing people’s gazes were affixed upon Chaewon. The latter had also noticed the gazes being thrown her way.

“Oh its okay, Jihyo-ah. Don’t mind them.”

“Why are they all looking at you though, Chaewon-unnie?”

“They’re probably confused as why am I sitting in the midst of people.” Chaewon said with a chuckle. She then went on to explain that she had been a loner all her life. This was one of the few instances where she sat in the company of friends.

“Oh, its okay unnie. You can sit with us anytime.” Jihan said with a smile. Such a sweet girl, Chaewon thought.

“Hey! Wanna go eat at McDonalds?” Hyewon suddenly asked adding that she was already hungry.

They had unanimously agreed. However, Soeun had to go back to the clubroom to get her binder. Soojin wanted to go with her but Soeun told her to keep the kids company and she wouldn’t be long. Planting a quick kiss on Soojin’s hair, Soeun got up and left.

As she walked, she thought about Soojin and the kids. She was lucky to have them. Soojin was a pure bundle of joy to be with, she was sweet and sincere. They express their affection in similar ways with a couple of differing characteristics. For instance, Soojin showers Soeun with affection in the form of extravagant treats and gifts. Guruem now had periodical check ups to the vet. Hyejoo finally had her own phone courtesy of Soojin. Aside from that, Soojin loves to show her love for her through art. She had paintings and sketches of them together in her room, all made by Soojin. Soeun however, shows her love through actions. She would innocuously tip the umbrella more towards Soojin when they’re walking upon rain so she wouldn’t get wet. Swapping places with her so Soojin would be as far from the street as possible when they’re walking. Soeun liked knitting and she had made some gifts for Soojin including mitts and a snow cap.

Despite all this, it was still apparent that their social status were light years apart. This was caught on by most of their schoolmates, who didn’t pay any mind or ill-will to them. The same couldn’t be said of the scores of scorned suitors Soojin brutally turns down.

Soeun knew that no matter how prosperous Rosy grew to be, she could never match Soojin’s financial strength. Soojin would shop barely looking at price tags, if an item strikes her fancy she’d simply put it in her shopping basket. Soeun on the other hand, would consider multiple factors before making a purchase.

The sheer gap of their social statuses had become the topic among the scorned. Rumors had circulated that she was only dating Soojin for her money. Of course this was all one big lie, their friends and acquaintances all knew that.

The biggest rumor monger of the bunch was Kim Sangwoo. He was the heir to one of South Korea’s biggest electronic companies. Someone much like Soojin, who was the heiress to one of South Korea’s biggest conglomerates. This young man drove his own hypercar and was followed by a mini-horde of admirers. However, he only had eyes for Soojin and had made repeated advances towards her. Every single advance he made was mercilessly shot down by Soojin. This made him bitter and had resorted to underhanded tactics to undermine their relationship.

Soeun pushed these bitter thoughts out of her mind as she neared the clubroom. Jiyoon was there with a few members of the club.

“Hi there! How’s stuff going?” Jiyoon asked upon seeing Soeun enter.

“Hi boss! Everything’s fine! By the way, how did you find the presentation me and Soojin made?”

“Oh! Just wonderful! I’m amazed by your skill and chemistry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter