Chapter Forty-eight: Back to Reality

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The girls woke up under the gentle light of the breaking dawn. It was their last day on Sejong and they all collectively wished they could stay longer. Among all of them, Jimin wished the hardest. She could stay of course, but Chaewon needs her at Seoul. Her grumpy sister comes first no matter what. Chaewon occasionally forgets to buy groceries and Jimin has to remind her from time to time back then, even when she was over the other side of the world. Besides, who would haul Chaewon’s book hauls back home from the bookstore? Hyejoo was busy at Rosy so it would usually fall to her. Deep inside, she was just looking for excuses to look after her sister.

Light was just peeking over the horizon as Jimin rose to sit. Jaehee was sleeping soundly beside her with a faint smile on her lips. Looking over to the others, she saw Soeun sleeping with Soojin by her side in a semi-fetal position. Heejin and Hyunjin were near the treehouse and Heejin slept beside her. Looking around her, she saw happiness and contentment in everyone. This simple country life suited all of them well and despite their upbringing, they were all game to get down and dirty doing fieldwork the other day.

Looking at the sleeping Jaehee beside her, Jimin wished time would stop. Gently rubbing her hair, brushing and arranging it neatly before planting a kiss on her head. Getting up, she saw Chaewon stirring awake beside Hyejoo. She got up and sat on the picnic table near the ashes of the bonfire.

“Hey Monday.” Chaewon said attempting to piss her sister off early in the morning.

“Hiya Chae.” Jimin said as she sat beside her.

Jimin would usually reply with a snarky comment but today, Jimin was unusually quiet. She was in a solemn mood as she gazed out towards the sun peeking just above the mountains.

“Hey? You okay? Did Jaehee turn you down?” Chaewon asked worried.

“No no, she likes me back. Its just…today’s the last day.” Jimin said.

“Oh? You’re going abroad again?” Chaewon asked, thinking that the last day Jimin was referring to was her last day in Korea.

“No. I don’t wanna go away again. I like it here now. I mean, our last day in Sejong.” Jimin said. Chaewon was surprised at her sister’s behavior. Usually, Jimin was raring to go to new places. She’d stay in a foreign country for about a week or so before flying to another one.

Love really makes a person change, Chaewon thought as she looked at her sister’s forlorn expression.

“Hey pabo, don’t be sad. Its just a hundred kilometers or so, you could always come back in that monster truck of yours.” Chaewon said, jabbing playfully at Jimin’s side.

“I’m scared Chae.” Jimin said.

“You scared? Of what?” Chaewon said.

“You know, I mean this kind of relationships isn’t really openly accepted.” Jimin replied.

“You wanna ask her parents?” Chaewon said volunteering to come with her.

“Thanks Chae, but I gotta do this alone.” Jimin said.

Chaewon offered a comforting hand on her sister’s shoulder. What Jimin said was indeed true. Same relationships isn’t an easy thing to accept in Korea especially by the previous generation. Some couples became the object of scorn and harassment coming from people around them. Thus their ual preferences has become a closeted and hidden secret to others. She was afraid Jaehee’s parents share those sentiments. That would drive a wedge between her and Jaehee, if that happens Jimin would be devastated. Chaewon thought as she pulled her gigantic sister in for a hug.

“No matter what happens, we’ll be here.” Chaewon said.

The pair had talked some more before the others had waken up. Yerim had put the plates and chopsticks in the box that they bought here with them. The coals were extinguished in the bonfire last night, they had poured water over it to make sure the fires were gone before sleeping. She had dutifully packed the utensils and used containers in the box and the fruit peels and waste into a plastic bag. They wanted to make sure that they wouldn’t leave a mess when they leave.

The girls had all waken up by the time the sun was fully up in the sky.

“Good morning baby.” Hyejoo said as she hugged Chaewon from behind. This caused Soeun, Hyunjin and Yerim to look at the two.

“OH MY GOSH!” The three had chorused as they screeched at the revelation. The impact was greater for Soeun who has just realized that Hyejoo was actually capable of affectionate emotion. On top of that, she was happy that Hyejoo was finally looking after for herself and pursuing her happiness. Soeun gazed at her Hyejoo from behind as she hugged Chaewon, she couldn’t see her eyes, but she knew they were reflecting true happiness.

“Hey baby, good morning.” Chaewon replied as she kissed Hyejoo’s lips. Jimin looked away and made a gagging motion as she got up. Unknown to her, Jaehee was already up and was standing beside her and she quickly planted a quick smack on the cheek.

“Good morning!” Jaehee told a flustered Jimin who was utterly surprised at her gesture.

Hyunjin and Heejin shared a quick kiss on the lips. They didn’t want to be left out by the mushy couple around them. Heejin then carried Hyunjin to her wheelchair and sat beside her.

“Should we?” Soojin asked Soeun who had already swooped in for an affectionate kiss on the lips.

Hyewon cutely kissed her significant other on her forehead and gave a cuddle. The couples were incredibly sweet and displaying affectionate gestures. Yerim was already up and walking back towards the house with the box of plates. The others followed suit, Jimin was carrying the cooler with the used bottles and melted ice water inside. Jihyo carried the waste bag and placed it in her father’s compost pit. Washing her hands at the nearby sink, she ran back to be with Hyewon as they walked to the house.

Dae-woo and Mr. Han were drinking coffee at the backyard when they came back. The bodyguard jogged to meet them and to carry the things Yerim and Jimin were carrying. Mr. Han went to ask them how the night went and he was pleased to find out that things had gone smoothly.

“Oh. It went well Jihan-ah?” Mr. Han asked when he saw Hyewon and Jihyo holding hands.

His only child had confessed about her feelings for Hyewon the night before. She had went to their bedroom, hoping to catch a private moment with her parents.

“Appa, eomma. I have something to tell you.” Jihyo said as she sat down on their bed that night.

“What is it child?” Mr. Han asked as he and his wife sat up.

“I like girls, I’m sorry.” Jihyo softly told her parents.

The couple was surprised at the news, but Mr. Han already had a hunch when he saw Jihyo and Hyewon together.

“Is it Hyewon-ssi Jihan-ah?” Mr. Han asked softly as Mrs. Han brushed her daughter’s hair with her fingers in an affectionate and comforting motion. This caused Jihyo to look up in surprise. How did her father know?

“How did you know appa?”

“I saw the way you look at her, during the very first day we met her and your friends child. I knew you loved Hyewon-ssi.” Mr. Han wisely said with a smile.

“How?” Jihyo was still confused despite the revelation.

“The way you look at her give are always full of love. The same way your father looks at me and I look at him.” Mrs. Han answered in her husband’s stead who nodded in agreement.

“We’re not mad dear and don’t apologize for who you are okay?” Jihyo’s dad assured her.

“So, when are you going to tell her?” Mrs. Han whispered.

“At the backyard party perhaps. Up at my treehouse?” Jihyo suggested, honestly she hadn’t planned when or where to tell her.

“Indeed. An astute choice my dear. Bring her somewhere private where the two of you could  be alone without making her feel uncomfortable. The presence of your friends might cloud her judgement. Isolate her so you could get the genuine answer if she feels anything for you.” Mr. Han advised his child, speaking from experience.

Both him and his wife had took things positively and had encouraged her to be true to herself. They were fully supportive of Jihyo’s feelings towards her friend. Another fact is that they appreciate Jihyo being true to her feelings and honest to her parents. They had raised her the right way, the couple thought as Jihyo left the room with hope burning bright in her chest.

“Yes sir, it went very well.” Hyewon answered Mr. Han’s question with a bright smile. She gave him a hug at his bequest.

“Take care of my daughter please.” Mr. Han whispered to Hyewon as she hugged him.

“I will.”

Mrs. Han had came out of the kitchen wearing an apron, it seemed she was cooking breakfast. Chan-mi passing by with toast and eggs proved Soeun’s thought. She had invited the group for breakfast and all had accepted except Yerim who was still full from the night’s impromptu mukbang. She accepted a glass of hot fresh milk though.

“Thank you for making Jihyo-ah’s semesteral break a happy and memorable one girls.” Mrs. Han said as she served them eggs, bacon and toast with a glass of milk or tea. The girls had told her that it was their pleasure and that they had as much fun as everyone had.

“Can we visit next break time?” Chaewon asked, taking initiative for her dreary sister.

“Yes! All of you are welcome anytime! Please if you’re ever near Sejong and need a place, don’t hesitate to come here.” Mr. Han said promising that he’d make sure a room would always be ready for them.

After they had shared breakfast with Jihyo’s family, the girls had prepared their bags for their departure

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter