Chapter Twenty: Retaliation

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The silence inside the suite became so loud. It was almost unbearable for everyone inside. The only source of noise was the gentle whirring of the AC unit near the corner. Hyejoo caressed her sister’s hair, careful not to accidentally hit her head wound.

“Soeun-ah, who did this to you.” Hyejoo repeated once more.

The others shivered and the room seemed to get colder everytime Hyejoo talked.

“Some idiot named Sangwoo.” Soeun muttered.

Hyejoo remained by her side, her hair calmly. The AC steadily streaming cold air that seemed to get even colder whenever Soojin or anyone looked at Hyejoo. She remained standing, holding her dear sister close.

“What happened.” Hyejoo said. It wasn’t a question.

Soeun began to retell the events up until she got knocked out by then Jiyoon took over. She narrated how she found Soeun unconscious on the stairwell landing. Hyejoo thanked her and her friends for that. They had saved Soeun from brain damage or even death.

“Hyejoo-unnie.” Soojin began to say.

“I’m sorry…” She trailed off before Hyejoo gave her a hug.

“Nothing to be sorry about kid. You did nothing wrong.” Hyejoo comforted Soojin who was close to sobbing again. She blamed herself for what happened to her girl.

“Sad I can’t say the same about that good for nothing Sangwoo.” She added when she walked back to Soeun.

“Unnie. Don’t.” Soeun said, holding her sister’s arm.

“What? Just saying sis.” Hyejoo said.

The tension was slowly dissipating and they could feel heat once more. It truly disappeared when they heard Hyewon’s stomach grumble. The room erupted into raucous laughter. The events had caused everyone to forget about their hunger in their sheer worry for Soeun.

“Let’s get takeout?” Soojin suggested.

Everyone agreed and Chaewon volunteered to get Heejin to do it. Her shift had ended and she was headed here right now after hearing what had happened. So she had called Heejin telling her to buy a couple of chicken buckets and she’ll pay her back when she gets here. Heejin agreed and had detoured to a nearby KFC outlet.

In the meantime, they had all conversed with one another. Min-yeong and Chan-mi offering their services for Soeun and Hyejoo. They had grew to love the sisters as much as they love their mistress. Hence, their presence and support were given unconditionally especially as Soeun was in deep need. Jihan and Hyewon had went to their dad’s side and comforted her.

“Wait a minute, this ain’t a regular hospital room ain’t it?” Soeun said upon realizing the room’s wide open space and upper class decorations.

“I couldn’t check my girlfriend in a regular old room now can I?” Soojin said.

“Well to give Sangwoo credit. He did say one thing that turned out to be true.”

“What?” Hyejoo and Soojin simultaneously asked.

“Soojin’s my sugar mommy.”

The room erupted into a fit of laughter once more.

“Pabo!” Hyejoo said in between guffaws.

Someone knocked on the door and Chan-mi, being nearest to the door at the moment went to answer it. He opened the door to reveal Heejin, still in her scrubs along with a purple haired lady behind her.

“Someone order chicken?” Heejin said, entering the room.

Chaewon was surprised to see Jimin with Heejin, she looked to the latter for an explanation.

“Well… I came up short on the order. So I phone Jiminnie!” Heejin said.

Chaewon then introduced Jimin to her friends. Who warmly received her and welcomed her into the group.

“Soeun-ah, your sister makes good food.” Jimin remarked.

Soeun chuckled and went on to share that growing up, she had been quite chubby. Much to the disbelief of everyone. She had also seen that Heejin was wearing medical scrubs.

“Oh, you’re a doctor Heejin-ah?” Soeun said.

“No, not yet. Still an intern.” She replied while preparing the food.

Hyejoo looked around the room. She had recalled the last time Soeun was hospitalized. It was at a regular room where they shared the room with another patient. Back then, Soeun was confined because she got knocked off her bike when she was pedalling home from school. Hyejoo had taken on quite a sizeable loan to get her sister out of the hospital. Soeun never knew about that and she just passed it off as having successfully acquire medical financial aid.

Now they were surrounded by friends and loved ones. They weren’t alone anymore and it made Hyejoo feel extremely warm. She was so used to fending for the two of them and now having people running towards them during their time of need feel foreign. A strange but welcome feeling indeed.

They had then ate a hearty meal. Chicken wings and soda made them satisfied for the time being. Soojin was helping Soeun eat the chicken by peeling the chicken meat off the wings and feeding it to her.

“Oh I forgot those two were couples.” Heejin said after seeing them being affectionate.

“You idiot how many times have you seen them kiss in front of us?” Chaewon snidely said. She was still in disbelief that this ditzy buff was training to be a medical doctor.

Evening had come and the mini feast soon finished. Jiyoon and her friends had excused themselves for the night. Promising they’d drop by again tommorow. Hyejoo thanked them once more for their help before they left.

Chaewon, Jimin and Heejin stayed with Hyejoo. Meanwhile, Min-yeong and Chan-mi had left to drop the kids off their homes. Hyewon originally went to stay at her home. This was to avoid suspicion why Soojin wasn’t with Hyewon. Jihyo was too worried to rest so Hyewon decided to stay with her for the night, to help her rest and keep her company. Min-yeong told Haseul’s staff that Soojin slept with Hyewon at her house tonight. Soeun assured Jihan and Hyewon that she was going to be okay before they agreed to go, promising they’d go back first thing in the morning.

“Unnie. Could you leaves us for a bit?” Soeun asked.

At this cue, Hyejoo together with Chaewon and the rest vacated the room. They went to sit down in the waiting room down the hall.

“You wanted to talk Soojinnie?” Soeun asked, petting her hair.

“Do you regret it?” Soojin said with trepidation in her voice.

“Regret what?” Soeun asked.

“Us, you’ve gotten hurt Soeun-ah. You could’ve died.”

Soeun tried to straighten up and she looked at Soojin in the eye.

“I don’t regret loving you silly. I’d do it all again…well maybe actually dodge so I don’t tumble down the stairs again.” Soeun assured her giving a hug with her good arm and kissing the top of her head affectionately.

“I’d fight the world to be with you.” Soeun whispered in the midst of their hug.

In the waiting room, Chaewon sat beside Hyejoo handing her a cup of coffee. It was cold and Hyejoo slightly shivered. They began to talk about stuff. The conversation soon drifted towards Soeun.

“She’s gonna be okay.” Chaewon said.

“Yeah, I know she will. Soeun’s a fighter. I just can’t bear to see her hurt.” Hyejoo said.

“She’s all I have.”

Chaewon looked at Hyejoo. She could see that she dearly loves her sister. She admired that greatly. Honestly, she’d react the same way if something happened to Jimin. She was worried whenever her sister was away on her globe-trotting adventures.

“Hey. Chaewon-ah. Can I ask you guys a favor?” Hyejoo said.

“Sure, name it.”

“Please watch over Soeun tommorow. I have things to attend to. The business and our dog.”

“Done.”

They finished conversing when Soojin came out, saying they can go back in. Chaewon let Hyejoo go first and she looked at her as she walked. Hyejoo’s a great sister. She could feel seeds of admiration for her sow within her as she walked back together with Jimin and Heejin.

The next day came by pretty quick. The first person to drop by was their kids. Jihyo had made them breakfast that she had neatly packed in lunch boxes. Jiyoon came by shortly after with fruits laden in a basket. She had also conveyed her friends’ regards to them as they had medical duties to attend to today. Heejin went to work at around ten, promising to come back after her shift. By then, Chaewon was the only one with Soeun at the hospital roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter