Chapter Ninety-two: Dead Drop

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soeun woke up with a shake from Hyejoo. She was told to go to the living room at once. At the living room, Yeojin was hunched up in front of a laptop. Jungeun and the others were all crowding around the other side, waiting for Yeojin to speak. Several minutes had passed and Yeojin turned the computer around.

It was a video with a black background.

Feeling a sense of dread, Haseul pressed the spacebar.

Seconds later, a black object was removed from the camera lens to reveal Soojin. She was bound, drenched, and clearly in distress. Seeing Soojin in this state weakened Soeun’s knees as she leant onto Jinsol for support.

Soojin was saying something. It felt and looked like she was reading from a script behind the camera as her eyes would dart up and down intermittently. It went on for a few minutes. Soojin was saying that she was held captive by someone that her mother once knew and that the kidnappers would make contact soon. However, Soojin maintained a defiant and strong tone as she read the script.

Displeasure can be heard from behind the camera as a masked guard tased Soojin. Her drenched clothes and skin made the shock even more painful as she convulsed in the seat. The rope bounding her prevented her from falling from the chair.

Falling onto the floor, the same guard placed her upright once more. Soojin was still shivering and reeling in pain. A man’s voice could be heard shouting in the background.

“No! This was not part of the deal! You told me it would be just talking!” The man’s voice roared as a scuffle could be heard unfolding. Guards can be seen running behind the camera as sounds of fighting emanated from behind it. As the fight went on, Soojin can be seen with a look of worry on her face as her eyes darted around.

Eventually, the fighting stopped and another voice roared in anger.

“Your prideful daughter brought this on herself! Who would expect that she’s in distress if she’s reading the damn script like Queen Mary of Scots!?” A man with a much deeper and menacing voice yelled.

Haseul, Jungeun, and Jinsol could recognize the first voice that spoke. It was Seon-jung without a doubt. The accent and inflection told it all.

Sooyoung’s forehead creased as her fist clenched. She recognized the second voice. Jeong-su.

They were indeed holding Soojin captive.

But the fight the unfolded before the camera was an alarming sign to her. It told her that the criminal hierarchy was slowly dissolving into shambles. Knowing Jeong-su’s psychotic tendencies, it was highly likely that he would come out on top. And if this happens, Soojin would be in very grave danger. Seon-jung’s behavior also told her that he was the one keeping Soojin safe from Jeong-su which only added to her worries should Seon-jung lose control.

She must be rescued before this happens.

“I’ll kill them…” Soeun whispered through clenched teeth.

All of a sudden, Soeun felt someone slap her back.

“Don’t say that. Don’t you dare go down that road.” Hyejoo said in equal anger.

Seeing her sister’s gaze softened Soeun. She understood her sister’s warning and calmed down a bit. Seeing tears begin to well up in Soeun’s eyes, Hyejoo gave her sister a hug.

“We’ll get her back. I promise.” Hyejoo said, rubbing Soeun’s back.

The video finished with the black object obscuring the camera lens once more. Yeojin handed the laptop to one of the technicians in an effort to gain more information about the data retrieved from the drive. The team that went out reported that they were in hostile contact with men presumably in Jeong-su’s employ. A SWAT team was on its way to provide backup.

At this, they all dispersed and went back to their corners in the safehouse. Soeun went back to her room and tried to sleep. Anger and sadness were the only emotions she felt these days. Laying on her bed, Soeun browsed through her phone.

“Good morning bub.” Soojin whispered.

It was one of the recordings she would send every time she woke up.

“I miss you, lets get together tomorrow, okay?”

“You did good today my love! I’m proud of you.”

Soeun was about to press play to another voice message when the tears came. Sobbing once more, she curled up into a fetal position as she cried her heart out. Moments later, she was startled to hear a knock on the door.

“Just a minute!” Soeun called out as she quickly dried her eyes.

Telling the person to come in, Soeun was surprised when she saw it was Haseul.

“Hi dear.” Haseul greeted Soeun. The latter could hear the melancholy in her voice as she stood by the door.

Getting up from the bed, Soeun invited Haseul to sit down on the couch.

“How are you? I’ve been talking to your parents. I worry for you.” Haseul said as she placed a hand on Soeun’s shoulder.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter