Chapter Thirty-eight: Little Sophie

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days later, Hyejoo was back at their home. She was cleaning the kitchen and Soeun was watching television. Everything was going fine for Soeun lately. Although she hasn’t told Hyejoo yet of their meeting with Haseul the other day. It was because they had planned to visit her here. Haseul personally wanted to apologize to Hyejoo about the things she said the last time that they met.

Soeun found Haseul to be a kind person underneath all that class and high standards. She gamely joined them and the clique when they went to lunch. She couldn’t forget how Hyewon reacted when Haseul showed up with her and Soojin.

“Oh… hi aunt Haseul! I see you’ve met Soeun-ah!” Hyewon nervously chuckled.

“Yes dear, we’ve made amends. Nothing to worry about anymore.” Haseul replied to her niece with an “I know what you and Soojin have been doing” kind of wink.

Together, the gang plus Haseul went to the nearby McDonalds branch a block down from SNU.

“This is…new.” Haseul said as they went into the branch. Choosing a corner booth for maximum seating space, Soojin and Soeun got the groups orders.

“Where’s the menus?” Haseul curiously asked. She fully expected that a concierge would sit them down and a waiter to hand them menus.

“Eomma, those are the menus.” Soojin said while pointing to the LED boards behind the row of cash registers.

“Oh. I’ll come with you two then.” Haseul said excusing herself from the kids.

As the trio stood in front of the menu, they had picked out the usual meal for the kids.

“Mcnuggets for Chaewon and Jihyo while McChicken Wings for Hyewon. How about you mom?” Soojin asked.

“Mmm… that spaghetti and chicken looks nice.” Haseul said.

Soojin then noted their orders and placed them at the cashier during their turn. Soeun and Soojin got chicken for themselves. Soojin paid using cash and the order was arrayed onto two trays. Soeun got the other one while Soojin got the other. Haseul looked at the proceedings bewildered.

“That was fast.” Haseul said as they sat down.

“We thought so too!” Hyewon and Soojin said at the same time.

The three high society ladies giggled at this as they distributed the meals to each person.

“Everything costs less than a Wagyu steak too!” Haseul said realizing the amount that Soojin had spent was about a quarter of a Wagyu steak’s price.

Haseul took a bite of the chicken. She was surprised that it was incredibly tasty. Deep fried as well. It was a pleasant and crunchy experience. Originally, she had only ate roast chicken but she might get used to this.

“Soojinnie, do you think Gastogne could make this?” Haseul said as she dabbed a napkin at the corner of .

“Maybe, but fast food companies have these secret recipes so you can’t really duplicate their product.” Soojin explained.

“Oh, how much do you think McDonald’s cost?” Haseul then asked. The kids slightly choked hearing the question.

Haseul looked at Soojin and Soeun as they ate. Soojin had a bit of gravy on her cheek when she bit into her chicken leg. Soeun saw that and got a napkin to wipe it off. Soojin absent-minded, kissed Soeun on the cheek as thanks. All in front of Haseul. The kids and Chaewon stared at them in shock. Hyewon snuck a glance at her aunt’s reaction, Haseul was smiling, a hand over .

“You two are so sweet.” Haseul admiringly commented at her daughter’s gesture.

Soojin blushed beet red when she realized her mother was with her. Covering her face in embarrassment.

“Oh baby, don’t be ashamed of a gesture of love. I’m your mom silly besides I like Soeun for you.” Haseul said gently pulling at her daughter’s hand.

The group was relieved and continued on eating. Jihyo was finishing her fries when all of a sudden Haseul asked her.

“What’s your name sweetie?” Haseul sweetly asked.

“I’m Han Jihyo, pleased to meet you Haseul-ssi.” Jihyo said with a radiant smile.

Haseul smiled at her and asked Chaewon who was sipping on soda.

“I’m Park Chaewon, glad to finally meet you Haseul-ssi.” Chaewon said with a smile of her own.

The group had continued on eating and after their lunch, they went back to SNU. Haseul parted ways with them at the University gate where her car was parked.

“Soeun-ah, do come by the house sometime okay?” Haseul said giving Soeun a hug.

Hyejoo was in the middle of washing the dishes when her phone buzzed. It was Jinsol, asking her if she could call right now. It was probably about the DNA test. Hyejoo dialled Jinsol’s number, she picked up on the first ring.

“Sweetie its here. A hundred percent match…” Jinsol’s voice was shaking as she read the parts that stated that Hyejoo and Jinsol’s DNA matched beyond any doubt.

“Sure thing appa. We’ll be right over.” Hyejoo said.

“Thank you baby! I’ll be right over!” Jinsol said.

The two had hanged up. Hyejoo took a deep breath and went to the living room. Soeun was still watching television. She sat beside her little sister.

“Soeun-ah. Listen to me.” Hyejoo said in her unnie voice.

Soeun muted the television and looked at her sister.

“Someone’s coming here. I need you to listen to them okay? Trust what they’re gonna say.” Hyejoo calmly said.

“Who unnie?”

“You’ll know when they get here okay Ssong?” Hyejoo said, her voice trembling as she said Soeun’s nickname.

Hyejoo sat beside Soeun and hugged her. Soeun was panicking inside, doing her tapping on Hyejoo’s leg.

“No need for our emergency signal Ssong.” Hyejoo said as she calmly tapped Soeun’s name on her leg.

A powerful engine’s roar was heard outside followed by a screech of brakes.

“Must be them.” Hyejoo said getting up.

Soeun remained seated on the couch as her sister got out of the house.

Jinsol exited from her Lamborghini. An identical one was behind hers, Jungeun was dismounting from that one.

“Here’s the result Hyejoo.” Jinsol said as she handed Hyejoo a folded legal-sized paper. Written on it was the results of the DNA test. It indeed proved beyond any reasonable doubt that they are family.

Hyejoo hugged Jungeun and Jinsol. A black Hummer pulled a safe distance away. Hyejoo could see Dae-woo at the wheel.

“Ready to go see her?” Hyejoo whispered to her parents.

Both nodding, they went inside the house.

Soeun instantly looked at the door when it opened. She was surprised to see Jinsol and another lady with her. Hyejoo was with her with a solemn look on her face.

“Jinsol-ah! Hi! How are you!” Soeun said, she was surprised to see her friend here. Getting up, she went to give her a hug.

“So-Soeun-ah…” Jinsol stammered as she gave h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter