Chapter Eighty-one: Letters

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following days was spent in anxiety and tension. Vivi’s office windows had been replaced with bulletproof glass to prevent the shooting incident that occurred last time. She now had police escorts as well after the incident. Lt. Colonel Shin sent a police squad to provide security for the doctor during her work and transit hours. By now, everyone in the family is considered a target and has increased protection given to all of them. Haseul would sit in worry whenever Soojin and Vivi would leave the house and she’d ask for updates regarding their condition from their security chiefs.

Since Soojin was limited in going out, her friends would come to her. Hyewon immediately went to Soojin’s side at the earliest possibility. She had been worried about her since she heard what had happened to aunt Vivi. Diplomatic engagements she had with her parents had occupied her lately. Her parents had allowed her to stay with Soojin for the time being to help her with the tough situation she’s in. Jin-woo and So-hee had visited the night they dropped Hyewon off. Jin-woo was especially worried about his sister’s family. Before he left, he told Haseul to call him whenever she needed anything.

Jihyo and Jaehee visit often. Soojin loved to hear Jihyo talk about her experiences with Hyewon and her family. Jihyo had even been bought to several events regarding the foreign ministry. She was able to meet dignitaries from all over the world. What impressed her more was Hyewon’s multilingual skills able to fluently converse in several European languages with relative ease. Of course, Hyewon translated for Jihyo whenever she could. Only a day before her latest visit, Jihyo was with Hyewon and her family as they had a weekend off at one of South Korea’s most popular hotel resorts.

“Eomma, auntie So-hee even got me this dress!” Jihyo proudly said and twirled in front of Soojin.

So-hee had also taken Jihyo shopping on a couple of occasions. She wanted to get to know Jihyo better and she decided that it was best done while getting their hair done and browsing various outfits at her favorite clothing stores. It greatly pleased her to see and experience Jihyo’s bubbly disposition and radiant personality. So-hee loved Jihyo and her pleasant outlook on life. Jihyo always told her how lucky she was when she met Hyewon and good things never stopped coming her way.

Soojin was looking at the driveway as she sat on the front steps. She was immensely bored at being limited to the front and back yards, she would spend time sitting with Min-yeong beside her. Despite her annoyance at the sudden strict implementation of house rules, she understood. No one wanted to be put in harm’s way after all.

“Soojinnie? Are you okay my child?” Haseul asked as she sat beside Soojin on the front steps.

“Yes mom. I’m just a bit bored is all.” Soojin replied as Haseul put her arm around Soojin.

Haseul offered to call Soeun for her if she could visit. However, Soojin told her that Soeun has an excursion with Jungeun right now. They were going to check Jinsol’s small fleet of yachts at the Busan Marina. It was also for their protection as they were away from Seoul right now where it was quite dangerous for anyone connected to Soojin right now.

“Oh, you miss her, correct?” Haseul said with a cheeky smile. Soojin could only nod as Haseul hugged her and began teasing her.

Thankfully, her phone rang which gave Soojin a bit of respite as her mother answered the call. It was Vivi’s security chief, she had just finished her second to the last patient for the day and was now eating lunch. Haseul thanked him for the update and wished them safety. Putting away her phone, Haseul sat back down beside Soojin.

“Is dad okay?” Soojin asked. Haseul told her that indeed she was and Soojin breathed a sigh of relief.

“Vivi appa is really nice. I love her eomma.” Soojin said as she put her arm around Haseul’s shoulder.

Soojin was taking her mother’s remarriage very well. Vivi’s efforts never went unappreciated. She would wake up earlier than all of them and help Gastogne, their personal chef, prepare the day’s meal. Also, despite her busy schedule, Vivi would always spend time with Soojin. Their favorite time was during Saturday nights in which they would spend the entire night watching TV dramas together. Vivi used to dislike watching these shows but now she screams along with Soojin and gasping with Haseul whenever a surprising or scary scene pops up.

Haseul’s personal secretary approached them and told her that her presence was needed at headquarters as soon as possible. Several papers arrived that needed her due attention. Understanding that these papers were of an urgent nature, she told the secretary to wait for her and tell her driver to prepare her car. Standing up, she told Soojin that she was going to be back soon.

“Please be careful mom.” Soojin said as she hugged Haseul tight.

Going inside the house to change into her office clothes, Haseul went outside. She had missed wearing her suits and blazers but she had missed being a mother more. Soojin stood up as her mother’s Rolls-Royce slid silently in place, its rear door perfectly aligning with Haseul.

“I’ll be going now love. Want anything?” Haseul asked.

“Just you and appa back here and safe.” Soojin asked.

Haseul left after kssing her only daughter. Soojin waved and saw them off before sitting back down on the front steps. After some time, Soojin got bored and decided to walk on the front lawn. It was a cloudy day and the temperature wasn’t as hot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter