Chapter Ninety: Tailed

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Riding her motorbike, Jinsol hung low from the traffic and the vehicle that she was tailing. She had to hang back lest the occupants of the van she was tailing see her. They were exiting Seoul’s city limits and was rapidly approaching a neighboring city. The bulky profile of the white van allowed Jinsol to keep a safe distance away without losing sight of the target.

Earlier, she and Yeojin were leaving the police station after a short meeting with Officer Shin. As they exited the police station, Jinsol had a weird feeling about her. She had an urge to go and check their houses out. Telling Yeojin to stay at Lt. Col. Shin’s office, she went on her motorbike and drove for their homes.

Jinsol’s home was safe. So was Haseul’s and Jihyo’s. Going up to Heejin’s apartment, Jinsol only saw the guards posted outside the door to her apartment and below at the building’s parking lot. Moving on to Vivi’s apartment, Jinsol was about to turn into the hall leading to Vivi’s apartment door when all of a sudden she heard voices down the hall. Hugging the wall, she risked a peek into the corridor. There were two men guarding the door and possibly more inside the apartment.

“Hey, there’s nothing in here. Everything is bare. Even the appliances are gone.” A man said, leaving the apartment and joining the pair standing guard outside.

“Let’s just go, its a waste to leave the package here.” One of the other men said.

Shrugging, the trio moved down the hall to leave. Jinsol saw the man who went into the apartment was hefting a box about the size of a shoe box. Was this package they were talking about? What was inside it?

The apartment was already cleared out of Doctor Kahei’s belongings a couple days before she and Haseul got married. However, the fact that an unwelcome and hostile presence was snooping around did not make Jinsol comfortable. Firing off a quick message to Lt. Col. Shin, Jinsol ran back the hall to hide from the men. Moments later, they made the turn and went into the elevator. Luckily, there was an open janitor’s closet that Jinsol was able to duck into.

As the men passed by, she over heard that they were going to a hideout. Would Soojin be there? Jinsol decided to risk it. Soojin was practically her daughter as well at this point. It was worth a shot.

The men went into one of the two elevators. Jinsol called for the other elevator and quickly boarded it. The men had a head start of a couple minutes. Reaching the basement garage, Jinsol ran for her bike upon realizing that the men weren’t inside the garage. Perhaps they had parked outside or had already left.

Revving the bike’s engine, Jinsol practically leaped out of the parking garage. Seeing one of the men board a van outside, Jinsol was relieved. She hadn’t lost them yet. Pretending to stop at one of the cafes outside the building, Jinsol waited for the van to make its move.

Moments later, the van made a u-turn and headed for the opposite direction. Going straight, Jinsol let the van gain distance before following it. They were somehow in a rush, perhaps they needed to get somewhere fast as the van didn’t bother to be discreet at all.

Presently, they were nearing a city by the coast. Recognizing it to be Incheon, Jinsol thought that this was probably the location of Soojin and Haseul’s ex.

What was that creep’s name again? Jinsol asked herself as she rode. She didn’t bother to remember, she knew how the monster looked and that was all that matters.

Moments after entering Incheon’s city limits, another bike roared beside Jinsol’s looking beside her, she was shocked to see who was riding it. So shocked that she nearly swerved into the concrete divider.

Jungeun was beside her, riding the gigantic BMW R1200s.

Waving at Jungeun, she replied with a clenched fist at Jinsol’s direction. Chuckling nervously, Jungeun gestured for Jinsol to hang back low as another van showed up. A clunky and old white van. How would that clunker follow the other van without breaking down? Jinsol asked herself, curious at the old and rusty van. Looking behind her, Jinsol knew that the maroon Hyundai Starex van was laden with police officers. These were members of the task force created for Soojin’s rescue.

Deciding to hang back behind the Starex, the couple rode at a more relaxed pace than earlier. Jinsol knew that she was in for an earful when they get somewhere safe. Accepting the fate, she looked towards Jungeun who had a bit of a tricky time in riding the bike. Maneuvering closer, Jinsol grabbed the other handle of the bike and propped her foot gently over Jungeun’s to stabilize the bike. Jungeun was able to ride the bike despite her trauma over these machines. Jinsol was surprised when she saw her wife’s eyes behind the helmet earlier.

Over at the hideout, Soojin was looking at the men who was installing a television on the wall. As her biological father promised, about a dozen and a half new books came last night. Some even had price tags still stuck on the covers, evidently these were newly bought books.

She was fairly entertained and the night passed quickly as she read the new books. Everything in the cell was escape-proof. Her bed was bolted to the floor and the mattress was seemingly fixed on the frame. The window was about the size of a phone and had metal railings covering it. The ligh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter