Chapter Thirty-one: Star-crossed

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A teary-eyed Yerim hurriedly wheeled her sister inside their house. She had to find their parents quick.

“Eomma! Appa!” Yerim yelled as she entered the house through the front door. Immediately, a butler came running, saying her parents were in the backyard garden. Thanking him, Yerim took off as fast as she can telling her unnie to hold on tight.

Jungeun and Jinsol were at the garden eating snacks and chatting amongst each other when Yerim suddenly came screaming.

“Eomma! Appa!” Yerim screamed once more causing both of them to turn and run towards her.

“Yerim-ah! What happened?” Jinsol asked worried. Even Doo-san had ran out to the backyard, hearing the young lady’s screams earlier.

“Its unnie!” Yerim said gesturing to Hyunjin who was looking up at them.

“Hello mom, dad.” Hyunjin gently said, smiling.

Hearing this brought both of them down on their knees sweeping them both into a hug while they wept in pure joy. After nearly sixteen years, their eldest child had spoken once more.

“Hi baby, welcome back.” Jungeun said as she cradled her daughter’s head.

“Heejin-unnie helped me. She’s kind and fun to be with.” Hyunjin innocently said with a smile as she did her best to hug her both her parents and Yerim.

Jinsol wanted to see Heejin once more. She had greatly helped her family and she wanted to give something in appreciation towards her services. The family had then retreated into the house, Jinsol herself would be cooking dinner tonight. They would celebrate the breakthrough Hyunjin had in her recovery.

For the first time in nearly sixteen years, the Jung household had dinner with four voices being heard throughout the dining room. As they ate, Jinsol felt her hand being gently gripped by Jungeun’s.

“We’re finally getting through this.” Jungeun said with sparkling eyes.

Nodding, Jinsol squeezed her hand in return.

Soeun woke up early the following day. The last of her bandages had finally come off the other night. Soojin took them off with a remark saying that Soeun was a baby no more. They had a simple night then, eating a tub of ice cream while watching a drama on the television.

Soojin inquired around her connections and the family’s personal mechanic regarding about a Royce involved in a shootout or violent encounter about twenty years ago. She had also Min-yeong to make her own inquiries about some other potential informants.

The mechanic had remembered being called by a police investigator around the time frame that she had specified. It was a silver Phantom that appeared as if it had went through a warzone instead of a street in Seoul. Bullet holes were all around the burnt out husk. The mechanic was furthermore shocked to learn that this vehicle was hit by a rocket propelled grenade, thus the ripped upper roof area where the rocket had initially exploded upon. What got Soojin’s attention was that the police had found no bodies or human traces when they hauled the husk away from forensic examinations. Initially, the investigator had ruled that passengers had been evacuated safely but later they found out that there were supposed to be two children riding inside the vehicle. They were never found nor their bodies.

Soojin had brought this information to one of the family’s police contacts. She had hoped that he, a police lieutenant colonel keep the information discreet. He had obliged and had sent a couple of lackeys to delve into the department’s archives for the pertinent case file. Soojin had yet to hear from him. In the meantime, she drew on her sketchpad. This time it was Guruem in a running pose.

Soeun had ate breakfast and had told her unnie that she’ll go out for a while. At first, Hyejoo was surprised to hear that she’ll leave alone.

“Just you? What happened?” Hyejoo asked as she rinsed the plates in the kitchen sink.

“Nothing unnie. I just wanted to go get Soojin something, like a surprise. Bye!” Soeun said as she left, closing the door behind her.

It was a cloudy morning and the sun wasn’t too hot. She decided to take a walk towards the bus stop. Deciding to go to Myeong-dong so she’ll take a train going to Myeongdong station’s line 4. Soeun chuckled to herself as she walked. Half a year of riding with Soojin and commuting feels alien to her. She had missed her girl’s presence today as she had gotten used to having her fingers intertwined with hers as she walked. Now it was just the wind blowing in between her fingers.

She had reached the bus stop and sat on the bench as she waited. Flashes of memories of her first days with Soojin came to mind. Suddenly, Soeun had realized that from an innocent and sheltered girl that Soojin was, she was now a crafty and wise young lady. Gone were the days where Soojin stared in pure innocence. Now she can easily haggle in a street store and navigate the city of Seoul almost as well as her. Soeun was unsure of whether that would be good or bad news when it came to Soojin’s mom.

Oh yeah. Her mom.

Soeun was seized by a choking feeling of anxiety. She had remembered Soojin’s mother and how she disapproved of them. Well to be fair, Soojin ran away and Haseul had every right to be mad. But surely, rich people approves of rich people for their children’s future right? She and Hyejoo could never match Soojin’s wealth no matter how hard they work.

Princess loves me and I love her very much. No matter what happens I’ll be here for her. Soeun thought to herself, steeling her resolve.

A bus rolled to a stop in front of her and she got on. Putting earphones on, she leaned back and looked outside the window. She had missed the bus engine’s guttural roar as it traversed the road.

Meanwhile over at Yongin, Hyunjin was with Jungeun. She was playing the piano while her mother listened to her. Hyunjin was softly humming a tune as well as she played. Jungeun found her daughter’s voice to be very beautiful and serene. It had a strange and calming effect to her. Honestly, she wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter