Chapter Seventy-seven: Reunion

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sophie aegi, wake up. Dad wants us at the sitting room.” Yerim gently cooed Soeun awake.

Opening her eyes and brushing sleep away, she saw Yerim already washed up looking at her. Rising from her bed, she saw Hyejoo zipping up her boots while Hyunjin was putting on her jacket. It seems that they were going somewhere. Soeun took a quick shower and got dressed as well. Seeing her favorite olive green jacket, she decided to wear her favorite outfit. Picking out her striped shirt from the walk-in closet and a pair of cargo pants, she got dressed and went out back to the room. Putting on a pair of canvas sneakers, Soeun wore the jacket last, electing to leave it open instead of zipping it up.

“What’s going on unnie?” Soeun asked Hyejoo who was on the phone.

“Dad wanted us to get dressed and meet us at the sitting room.” Hyejoo said, apparently not knowing much either.

The triplets waited for Soeun to finish getting ready and they collectively went down to the sitting room. At the sitting room, the couple was talking with each other.

“Sweetie. Just tell me if you want to buy something. You don’t need to hide it from me. That’s what angers me.” Jungeun said as she and Jinsol talked about various things. She had decided to bring up Jinsol’s addiction with anything that is mechanical and runs on fuel.

“I…Okay hon. I will next time. I’m sorry.” Jinsol said.

“I might come with you. Help you pick some out, though I don’t really know much about those things.” Jungeun said. She might have been a prodigal aviator and can rattle off every single part of any Boeing aircraft but she knows next to nothing about motorcycles. In cars though, she knows some basic things.

The girls arrived at the room finding Jinsol and Jungeun in conversation with each other as they went inside after a maid let them in. Their parents were both dressed in semi-formal dresses. Dresses suit Jinsol quite well but she prefers shirts and pants instead of more feminine outfits. Hyejoo recalls asking why and Jinsol told her that it makes her look cooler. She herself agrees with this and this must be where she gets that preference.

“Hey kids! Come come sit. We have something to discuss with you.” Jungeun said as she waved them closer.

The girls did as they were told and noted that Jinsol was serious. What they had to say was something serious.

“Sophie, Olivia. Do you two recall Waegwan Abbey?” Jinsol asked with a serious tone.

The two sisters immediately recalled the Abbey. It had been their home for a time. The nuns at the orphanage were the ones who taught them to read and write. Honestly, they were fond of the place. Unfortunately, they were moved from what seemed to be paradise for the two girls. After Waegwan, the girls had tougher times in other facilities.

“Yes appa.” Soeun said while Hyejoo nodded in confirmation.

“Your mom and I decided to visit the abbey. All of us.” Jinsol said, revealing the purpose of their gathering.

The girls agreed and off they went to their vehicles. Outside, two Rolls-Royce Phantoms were warming up their engines, ready to ferry them to the day’s destination. Jungeun took Yerim and Hyunjin with her and Jinsol took Soeun and Hyejoo with her. Jinsol loved the Phantom’s luxurious comfort that it gives, but she wanted more space so they could all fit in one vehicle. Looking at the back, Soeun saw a Range Rover also running, it would probably carry their guards. At the front was another Rover with Dae-woo at the helm.

“Kids, does Rolls-Royce make vans? I hate riding separately from your mother and sisters. I’m looking for a bigger ride.” Jinsol asked as she draped her arms over her two daughters, pulling them closer to her.

“Is everything ready ma’am? Jungeun-ssi reports that they are all ready.” Their chauffeur asked.

“All ready Jin-goo-ya.” Jinsol replied.

The driver nodded and radioed the Rover in front. At that instant, the guards boarded their SUVs, the front SUV followed by the rear one. At another radioed command, the gate drew open and the lead vehicle went out of the property.

“Are you two ready to see the Abbey?” Jinsol asked.

“Yeah. I hope Sister Victoria is still there.” Soeun said.

Curious, Jinsol asked who the nun was. She learned that Sister Victoria was the nun who took care of them, eventually teaching them to read and write both in Korean and English. Nodding, Jinsol made a mental note to look for her. She owes a lot to this servant of God.

Over at Gangnam, Haseul was on the phone with her brother. He was apparently on the way home, his jet was due to land in a couple of minutes at Gimpo International.

“My dear brother! You didn’t come at my wedding!” Haseul teasingly said in a tempestuous voice.

“Ah yes mianhae, little Haseul. It is hard to book a flight as you cruise the Mediterranean.” Haseul brother,  Jinwoo retorted with a hearty laugh.

“Pft, you’re always working Jinwoo-oppa! Now you’re old and can’t be an ambassador anymore, you’re now the Foreign Minister?! Aishhh.” Haseul said, complaining.

“Oh please you work harder compared to me.” Jinwoo replied back.

“No. Not anymore.” Haseul replied.

“Oh? You retired? That’s weird, is the apocalypse coming soon??” Jinwoo replied, surprise was very much evident in his voice.

“Yes indeed. I did it for Soojin.” Haseul said.

The pair had talked for more than half an hour, their conversation was cut short because the plane will be making preparations to land. After that, Haseul had went to Soojin’s room where she and Hyewon were.

“Auntie Haseul! Appa and eomma is coming home!” Hyewon excitedly said.

Smiling, Haseul said that they were landing as they speak. She noticed that Vivi was with them, watching the movie along with the kids. Haseul appreciated the efforts Vivi makes to get along with Soojin and Hyewon. For her, she truly wants to be a part of the family.

“I’ll miss this place.” Hyewon said with a tinge of gloom in her eyes.

“Sweetie, you’re always welcome here. I could talk to Jinwoo oppa, tell him to let you stay here for a few more days.” Haseul offered.

Hyewon instantly accepted the offer with glee, but something had took her mind. A new worry.

“Will they accept me auntie?” Hyewon asked. Confused, Haseul asked what Hyewon was referreing to.

“Me and Jihan. My precious aegi.” Hyewon said, clarifying her initial query.

Smiling, Haseul assured her that her parents would understand. Jinwoo is an open-minded person and he would surely see how happy her daughter is with Jihyo. Haseul even joked that she’d pester her brother day and night if he didn’t see things through.

“You’re the best auntie!” Hyewon said as she hugged Haseul.

“All right all right dears! Let’s get ready, we have an old fart to fetch at the airport!” Haseul jokingly said as she told them to prepare. Min-yeong immediately phoned the Chan-mi to ready the vehicles needed for the trip. A few minutes later and they were out the door, going to the awaiting vehicles.

I wonder what I would tell mom and dad, Hyewon thought to herself as she and Soojin walked hand in hand as they went down the stairs. She was thinking of a way on how she would introduce Jihyo to their family. Hyewon hoped and prayed that everything would be okay.

“Hey, it’ll be okay. Uncle is a pretty understanding person.” Soojin said, sensing the turbulent thoughts floating around her cousin’s mind. She knew Hyewon pretty well considering that they practically finished basic education together back in Canada.

Meanwhile, Jinsol’s convoy was nearly Chilgok-gun, the area where the Abbey was located. Hyejoo was looking out the window and a strong whiff of familiarity met her. She could remember those times where they were allowed to go out on guided trips and she would watch the scenery as the van ferried them to the village a couple of kilometers away from the Abbey.

Along with the pleasant memories of the Abbey came with some sad ones. She could also recall how she, in her school uniform was trying to keep Soeun alive. Hyejoo used everything that she knew to keep her alive. She would use everything around her to keep Soeun alive, picking berries and fruits from plants and trees, she fed them to her ever-hungry sister. During those days, she was severely underweight, eating only the bare minimum so she could give the rest to Soeun.

All of those changed one winter night when she was woken up by a flashlight. Looking up at the beam, she heard the voice of a man call out to them. They were sleeping at a ditch where Hyejoo and Soeun leant on a tree stump to serve as a backrest. They were doing their best to stay warm despite the lack of winter clothes.

“Hello?! Kids are you okay?! Where’s your parents? I’m coming down!” A man called out to them. The beam changed locations and it got brighter as the man drew nearer.

Closing the flashlight, Hyejoo saw a badge affixed to the man’s chest. She knew it was a police officer, recalling those times she saw them on the television. The man immediately took off his woolen jacket and placed it over the both of them.

“You two okay? What’s your names? Do you have any way to contact your parents?” The kindly officer asked Hyejoo who in her weakened state could only cry and shake her head no.

Without hesitation, he took the both of them in his arms. Soeun was shaken awake when she was lifted up. Being so cold, she couldn’t scream or cry for help. But that was alright, they were safe. The man went up the ditch and placed the both of them on the police cruiser’s front seat. Buckling them in, the man rounded the vehicle and got on the driver’s seat.

“I’m Officer Shin, it’s too late to get you to the city. I live nearby with my family and my daughter. We’ll go there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter