Chapter Twenty-one: Fractured

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The neighborhood of Yongin is known for its luxurious mansions and high-society living. The prices of these real estate properties are worth multiple fortunes for even the smallest estate in the community. CEOs and old money families from various industries call this luxurious neighborhood home. Rolls-Royces, Lamborghinis, Ferraris and other high-end makes frequently travel the streets of Yongin, making them look ordinary.

One of the palatial Victorian-era mansions in the neighborhood serves as the abode of one of the biggest names in the airlines and mall industries. The vast mansion was filled with ornate decorations and bespoke furniture pieces.  A silver Rolls-Royce Phantom and a couple of Lamborghini Centenarios lay parked on the driveway.

The vast estate is staffed by household help, gardeners, security personnel and personal chefs that cater to the needs and welfare of both the estate and the family that owns the property.

The master and mistress of the house are the billionaire CEO couple Kim Jung-eun and Jung Jinsol who owns Korean Air and the Lotte Corporation respectively. They are one of the most affluent families living in the neighborhood.

Despite their vast wealth and affluence, the estate had a somber and sad vibe to it. The couple had two daughters with them. Their eldest was named Kim Hyunjin, a silent young lady with an intense affinity for bread and cats. The younger one was Choi Yerim, a bubbly merry-maker who tries her best to make her older sister smile even a fraction of an inch.

“I worry about her.” Jung-eun said as she watched Hyunjin play with Neugdae at their garden. Yerim was busy baking bread for her sister in an effort to make her smile. They could smell the faint aroma of cinnamon emanating from the kitchen a few feet away.

“I do too hon.” Jinsol said as she sat down beside Jung-eun. She placed a hand assuring her partner.

They were busy looking for ways to help her recover. The couple had spend countless millions of dollars for innovative treatments and psychiatric consultation methods. They had even resorted to hypnosis and traditional medicine in an attempt to restore even a sliver of normalcy to their eldest daughter. However, all of these efforts were for naught. Hyunjin remained a silent, speechless ghost of her former being. Hyunjin was a unique case, as most psychiatrists would remark. She exhibits learning ability as well as  comprehension of her surroundings. They were able to teach her things but making her speak was almost impossible.

“Do you remember when they were still kids? Jinsol asked.

“They were still complete. It was a merry house. Four of them shouting and screaming as they ran around the halls. I’d give anything to be with all of them one more time.” Jung-eun said, teetering on tears as she recounted the event.

“Darling shhh. Not in front of the kids.” Jinsol comforted her partner giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek.

“We have to be strong. At least for them.”

They didn’t want to appear weak in front of their children, especially for Hyunjin. They were her source of strength and they didn’t want to appear weak in front of her. Yerim was doing all she could to make her happy.

Yerim came rushing out of the kitchen towards Hyunjin. She was carrying a pan of freshly baked cinnamon bread. Hyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter