Chapter Twenty-six: On Top of the World

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin rushed through the halls of SNU with Soeun in hand. They weaved in and out among the throngs of crowds collecting over the bulletin boards. Exam results have already been released in and everyone was crowding around the scoreboards. They were excited for the results of their exams. Soeun’s heart was racing for she was really excited about the outcome of their exams. Excited blended with anxiety coursed through her as they navigated through the crowds.

Chaewon had also went towards her College’s scoreboards as well as Hyewon and Jihan. They would then meet after finding out their respective scores at their usual place by the field.

Soeun was able to spot their section’s scoreboard first because of her height. Taking the lead, she led Soojin through the crowd towards their scores.

“Soeun-ah! Congrats! Look!” Soojin excitedly said as she pulled Soeun closer. She was jumping and screaming in excitement. Her name was easily found as the scores were sorted in descending order. Which means the highest scores were on top.

Park Soeun: A+

Lee Soojin: A+

There was her name right below Soojin’s. They both got perfect marks!

Upon reading that Soeun joined Soojin in her jumping tirade. They hugged each other tightly as they celebrated their achievement. The others soon caught on and they applauded the couple for their exemplary performance.

“Wow such a brainy couple!”

“Good grades and a great girl?! Man Soeun-ah’s so lucky!”

“I heard Soeun-ah is a scholar! She truly deserves it!”

Congratulatory messages and pats were received by them. Even their classmates were happy at their achievement. They were supportive of the couple and they all liked them due to their pleasant personalities and good character.

Meanwhile in the sciences building, Chaewon was strolling through the building looking at the crowds poring over the bulletin boards.

“Hey that’s Chaewon.”

“Isn’t she the advanced level student? She looks like a high schooler.”

“I bet you my allowance she has a perfect score.”

Chaewon could hear these messages and some other resonated through the crowd. She took a break and sat on the bench near her section’s bulletin board. She’d wait until the crowd thinned before she forayed through. She thought of Soojin and the others and wondered how are they doing.

Hyewon was a nervous wreck as Jihyo led her through the Liberal Studies building. They were looking for their section’s bulletin boards. The pair had opposite worries. Jihyo was worried about her World Literature exam and Hyewon was worried about her Korean Literature exam. These two subjects were the ones they had paid extra attention to during their study sleepover.

They had found the score sheet tacked onto one of the bulletin boards. It read:

Han Jihyo: A+

Jo Hyewon: A

“We did it Jihyo-ah!” Hyewon said sweeping Jihyo into a bear hug.

They stepped aside and leaned on the wall to let others take a peek at the scores.

“Jihyo-ah, thank you.” Hyewon said.

“Hyewon-ah no worries. Anything for you.” Jihyo replied.

Jihyo’s replied sent a surge of hope through Hyewon. She might not admit it but lately she had been growing fond of Jihyo. Soojin noticed this and she grilled her when they went home from Rosy last night.

“Hyewon-ah fess up. What’s going on?” Soojin said as they rode back home in her Mercedes.

“Is it about Jihyo?”

Hyewon nodded at Soojin’s question.

“Why don’t you tell her?” She suggested.

“Soojin-unnie, I don’t think she feels the same way.” Hyewon said, sadness showing.

Soojin wrapped Hyewon’s hand in hers. She tried to give advice to her cousin as best as she could. Growing up with Hyewon, she didn’t want Hyewon to be sad or in distress. She loves her dear cousin even though she could be a handful at times.

“Give it time, be consistent to her. When the time comes gently tell her what you feel.” Soojin said.

Hyewon nodded and they embraced as the car turned, stopping at the house’s gigantic double doors.

“Hyewon-ah? Are you okay?” Jihyo said, tapping Hyewon.

Snapping out of her reverie, Hyewon said that she was okay adding that they should go back because the unnies might be waiting for them. Jihyo agreed and they got up to walk towards their meeting spot.

The crowd thinned and Chaewon finally got up to peek at the scores. Starting from the bottom, she had to look all the way to the top to find her name. As usual, it had an A+ at the end. Nodding, she then went on her way towards the meeting spot.

Chaewon was educated almost entirely in the advanced curriculum. Since primary school, Chaewon was at the top of her class with the highest marks. Many of her classmates then and now thought that she was unbeatable. Topping classes and exams might be exams worthy of note for others. But for Chaewon it simply meant prolonging and satisfying the expectations of others. Her parents weren’t quite strict about her grades, they wanted more for her to follow her vocation instead of following a mainstream path of unwarranted success.

Hyewon and Jihyo were the first to arrive. They sat at the bench nearby and waited for the others. Not long after, Hyewon spotted Chaewon’s blond hair. They waved towards her who waved back in return.

“How’d it go unnie?” Jihyo asked as Chaewon sat beside them.

“It went okay. The usual.” Chaewon said offering the two some jellybeans she found in her bag. She had forgotten that her jar of jellybeans was in her bag.

They were chatting for quite a while talking about various things when Jiyoon passed by. She was carrying some books and her bag.

“Hi guys! How’re the exams?” She inquired, approaching them.

Hyewon and Jihyo answered that everything was going good. They got high marks. Chaewon responded similarly, asking about Jiyoon’s as well.

“Oh that’s good to know! I did fairly good myself.” Jiyoon replied.

Jiyoon had bid goodbye, saying she had to go to her faculty office. Chaewon and the kids bid her a good day. Soojin and Soeun came a bit later.

“Shall we?” Soojin said.

The trio then joined the couple as they trooped out to campus. Soeun called Hyejoo to ask where she was. Hyejoo was at the convenience store nearby, apparently drinking milkshakes. Soeun was confused why Hyejoo was drinking milkshakes, as her sister doesn’t like milkshakes or anything too sweet. Then she suddenly remembered Chaewon likes milkshakes. Could it be? Soeun thought as she talked to Hyejoo on the phone. They were walking towards the store as they ta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter