Chapter Ninety-one: Spirals

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About two days later, Chan-mi was patrolling the mansion’s outer perimeter when he spotted a blue plastic bag taped to a rock laying on the grass. It was presumably thrown over the wall. Radioing for backup, another guard came by with a K-9 unit. The large German Shepherd sniffed the package and didn’t detect any unusual substances or explosives. Tottering back to his handler, Chan-mi then went to go get the package in gloved hands.

Carrying it over to one of the utility sheds, he carefully opened it with a knife. A colleague was taking a video of him opening the package for security and legal purposes. Inside the packaging, there was a small cardboard box. It was more of two cardboard sheets taped together to protect an object in the middle of it. Cutting the tape revealed a small plastic object.

It was a small USB flash drive.

Cutting the tape holding the stick onto the cardboard sheet, Chan-mi decided to bring it to his employers for inspection. There might be something that could lead them to Soojin. Getting in his G-Class SUV, he drove for Sooyoung’s mountain hideout. He had phoned ahead to alert whoever was inside the safehouse.

“What was it?” Yeojin asked after seeing Sooyoung get off the phone. She wasn’t terribly nosy, but a mention of a flash drive sparked her curiosity. She might be able to help in this regard.

Sooyoung answered back, telling Yeojin that Chan-mi had found a flash drive in Haseul’s home. The techie volunteered to help have a look at it together with the other specialists. She might be able to find something that can be of help. Seeing no immediate harm, Sooyoung allows the kid to do what she wanted provided that a guard would watch over her for her security.

The other night, Soojin was staring at Soeun’s photo when all of a sudden there was banging on the steel door. The door then opened and in came her biological father and another guard. Soojin backed away to the wall, asking what they wanted from her.

Seon-jung had a grim expression on his face. He told Soojin that a decoy safehouse had been raided by the police the other day. Revealing that the decoy location was on the other side of the street, Soojin had realized why there were gunshots during that day. It was perhaps mother’s security or the authorities, heck it might even be a joint effort. Soojin thought as her father came nearer.

“Don’t you come closer!” Soojin yelled, taking a pillow and forming a makeshift shield.

Seon-jung had an apologetic look on his face as the guard reached in and grabbed Soojin.

“I’m sorry, my child.” Seon-jung said.

Soojin kicked and screamed as she was forcefully dragged from the cell, kicking, biting, and swearing, Soojin made absolute hell for them. Whatever was going to happen, she was not going down without a fight.

During that same night, Soeun was in the middle of brewing tea. She couldn’t sleep. As she was about to pour tea into a cup, she accidentally pushed it and the cup broke upon hitting the floor. At that moment, a sense of dread came upon Soeun’s being.

But she knew full well that she could do nothing about it.

Sinking to her knees, Soeun cried and cried. Yearning for Soojin’s presence, she was in deep pain. Minutes later, Jungeun found her all by herself on the kitchen floor.

“Baby… come here.” Jungeun said at a loss for words. Try as hard as she might, she knew that nothing would make Soeun feel alright. Finding Soojin and bringing her back in her arms was the only cure to Soeun’s heartbreak.

Carefully pulling her daughter up, Jungeun helped her get into her bedroom and onto her bed. Try as she might, she cannot carry Soeun. She was heavier a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter