Chapter Twenty-eight: The Incident

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyunjin was playing with her cats at the garden. Yerim was beside her attempting to pacify Daemon as he bickered with Neugdae who just stood by Hyunjin’s side unbothered. Unsuccessful at her attempt, Yerim just sat beside Hyunjin as she played with her cats.

Jinsol was watching them from the kitchen windows as she washed plates. Even though the family has a sizeable staff, she still does things on her own from time to time. It distracts her from work and the family’s dilemma injecting a minute amount of normalcy.

“She learnt that from Dr. Kahei and her intern.” Jungeun said as she hugged Jinsol from behind. She was referring to Hyunjin’s incessant scribbling on the sketch pad she now carries around with her. Writing her thoughts and wants on paper was a vast improvement from the catatonic state that she was in. The couple could remember a time where Hyunjin just stared blankly at everything. Now she was reacting with non-verbal gestures and writing.

“Really?! She must be really good at her job.” Jinsol said amazed.

“Yeah that and her intern had apparently met Hyunjin a while ago. They’re sorta forming a bond and she was the one who suggested the idea.” Jungeun said.

“Really? They met?” Jinsol asked, her forehead creasing.

“Yeah, Jeon Heejin. She said she and a friend met her in a grocery store.” Jungeun clarified.

Jinsol was surprised. She remembers Heejin and her friend Chaewon, she even gave them her business card should they need anything. However it turned out that these two would have a bigger role in her family’s lives.

“Yes I remember. She has a friend named Chaewon, they helped Hyunjin when she had a panic attack over the sound the cans made when they fell off the shelves.”

“Indeed. It seems that she still remembers that day.” Jungeun darkly said her embrace upon Jinsol tightening.

Jinsol had finished washing the plates and they retreated to the sitting room’s couches.

“What have we done to deserve that fate?” Jungeun morosely whispered to no one in particular.

“I wonder how Olivia and Sophie are doing? Are they doing okay? Are they eating well?” Jinsol said teetering on tears as she recounted her two missing daughters. Jungeun held on tight to Jinsol to comfort her.

“The both of them must be attending university right now or working. Olivia might be a third year student and Sophie a first year if they chose to study.” Jungeun said doing the math in her head estimating the missing girls’ ages and scholastic level. Korea was at a level of economic comfort that tertiary education wasn’t a requirement to have a comfortable and sustainable life hence Jungeun wasn’t all that sure if they went to University.

The fateful day happened during Olivia’s first day of school. They were so excited back then. Sophie insisted on coming with them to see her unnies off. Sophie was the youngest of the four. Olivia, Hyunjin and Yerim were triplets only a couple of minutes older than each other. Hyunjin was the oldest followed by Yerim and Olivia was the youngest. Sophie wasn’t supposed to come with them but Jungeun couldn’t resist and so she had bought their youngest child with them.

So the family had went in their vehicles. Jungeun sat with Olivia and Sophie while Jinsol sat with Hyunjin and Yerim. The family was split in two Rolls Royce Phantoms with a couple Lincoln Navigators at the front and end to provide security. Once all were buckled in, the convoy rolled on its way to school.

Both of the Phantom’s interiors were filled with bright laughter coming from the children. Inside Jungeun’s Royce, Olivia was hugging Sophie promising her she’ll bring her a flower home from school. Little Sophie said she’ll eagerly wait for them at the front door.

Sophie never got to wait for her unnies.

They were only a few blocks away from the school when a panel truck crashed into the sides of the Navigators trapping the Phantoms inside. A couple of their bodyguards were incapacitated by the truck’s impact. Those who remained able and conscious immediately got out of the SUVs with weapons drawn. They were met by semi-automatic fire coming from the panel truck’s occupants. Firing back, they managed to eliminate the threat well enough to secure the trapped Phantoms.

Inside the sedans a cacophony of screams could be heard. Each parent held their children close as they screamed. Yerim held on to Hyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter