Chapter Sixty: Happy Birthday!

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin lay in her bed wide awake with a million things going on in her head. She hoped that everything will go according to plan. Everything had to go as she and Jinsol had planned. It was too important to have a wrench suddenly be flung in the spanner of their plans.

Yesterday, Jinsol had called to fill her in on the details of Soeun’s party. Soojin also filled Soeun’s parents on the surprise that she had planned. Agreeing that combining these plans would be the best, they had consolidated their plans for the big day tommorow.

Suddenly jolting awake from her bed, Soojin jumped out of the bed in realization what time it was. Hyewon nearly fell out of her side in surprise. Soojin didn’t know that Hyewon snuck in her room to sleep the night before resulting in the two yelping in surprise. Brushing the sleep from her eyes, Hyewon asked what was the matter.

“Its Soeun-ah’s birthday!” Soojin whispered.

At that, all forms of sleep was shocked out of Hyewon’s birthday. Springing up into action, she helped Soojin pick out a dress. Hyewon herself dressed up after. It was three o’clock in the morning and they were busy running around Soojin’s room, getting ready.

After a few minutes, they were ready and dressed. Soojin didn’t want to wake Chan-mi, so she drove her car herself. He and Min-yeong had their own parts to play for later. Slipping a note under her mother’s room saying that she’ll drive her car to Soeun’s today and not to worry. Quietly walking down to the first floor, the two went out the back door and into Soojin’s Maybach waiting outside.

Inside, Soojin gripped the steering wheel. The car belonged to her for quite some time but this was the first time she held its steering wheel. The worn hand-stitched leather wheel felt different in her hands. Sliding the key into the ignition, she hesitated for a moment before turning it.

“You okay unnie? We could get Chan-mi oppa to drive us.” Hyewon asked.

“No no, I’m okay. I can do this. For Soeun-ah.” Soojin said as she twisted the key. The German V12 hummed to life. Shifting to first gear, Soojin slowly inched out of the driveway, the gate opening automatically.

Outside, Soojin let the engines roar as they drove past the sleeping Gangnam neighborhood. She quickly adjusted to the feels of driving a car by herself. She honestly liked it. Maybe she could drive for Soeun one day, she thought as she drove towards Yeojin’s place and then Yongin.

Meanwhile at Heejin’s apartment, something similar was happening amongst the three. Chaewon had finished changing out of her pajamas just as Jimin finally finished packing up the balloons and other stuff that they’d need for later.

“Yo Gosang hand me that roll of tape.” Jimin asked as she saw her come out of their room. Chaewon obliged and handed her the tape without a snide comeback. Time was of the essence.

Heejin had helped her pack and was helping Jimin haul it down to Chaewon’s Tesla. Jimin would go to Jihyo’s house to get the two of them as well as Jiyoon. Chaewon and Heejin would go straight to Yongin so the preparations could be made earlier. The two had already changed and were heading out the door. Chaewon followed suit after she locked the door. Jogging ahead of them to get the cars started and warmed up. Jimin arrived shortly after, cramming the box into the car.

“Be careful Jimin-ah.” Chaewon said as Jimin sped out of the underground parking lot, making a beeline for Jihyo’s house.

Chaewon and Heejin then sped out of the building after Heejin managed to hold the box down so it wouldn’t tumble in the backseat. It was an important day for one of their greatest friends and Chaewon would do everything she can to make sure it went okay.

In her prompt manner, Jihyo and Jaehee was already waiting outside the house when Jimin arrived. Quickly getting into the truck, Jaehee hugged Jimin and off they went to Jiyoon’s house. Jiyoon lived in an apartment close to Jihyo’s former place and Jimin recalled the directions on getting there. It only took about twenty minutes to get there as the streets were practically deserted at this hour.

“Hi guys!” Jiyoon greeted as she approached the truck, handing a box to Jihyo’s outstretched arms. Getting in herself, she buckled in and off Jimin went, to Yongin this time. They learnt that Jiyoon made cookies for them last night. A homecoming treat from her after being away from a long time.

As Jimin was driving to Yongin, she spotted a Rolls-Royce heading the same way. She recognized the plate number as the Royce belonging to Haseul. Flashing her lights, the Phantom flashed its own in response. Together, the two vehicles had driven in convoy to Yongin.

Over at Yongin, Hyejoo and her twins silently crept out of the room. Their dogs and cats were still asleep, but Neugdae rose up, sensing that Hyunjin was awake. Not wanting him to bark, Hyunjin signalled the Husky to follow her. Luckily, Soeun was a heavy sleeper which allowed them to sneak out easily.

As the triplets went out, they saw their parents creep out of their room as well. Jinsol mouthed if Soeun was still asleep and they nodded. Together, the family silently walked down using the stairs. Arriving down, Jungeun could see Soojin’s Maybach from outside. She had arrived early and was getting out with her cousins. The solitary night guard gently inched the front door open and the trio slid in. Greeting the family, they began to get to work.

Jinsol had gotten two guards to come with them into the music room. This was essentially the family’s living room and where they hung out most of the time. The guards had lifted the old family portrait down on it’s hooks and had lifted the new one into place. However, the new portrait still had a cloth covering on it. The family had a new portrait commissioned the day after Jinsol introduced her children to the world.

The portrait showcased the family in an enigmatic and powerful way. Jinsol and Jungeun stood on the sides. Jinsol wore a suit as well as Hyejoo and Soeun, standing beside their father. Jungeun, Yerim and Hyunjin wore formal dresses and stood together. Hyunjin didn’t use her cane but she leaned on Yerim for support. It was truly a beautiful piece.

Finally, after sixteen years, the family portrait was finally changed at last. Jinsol thought as she admired the satin-covered painting hanging on the wall.

Chaewon arrived with Heejin carrying the box containing party decorations. Last night, the couches were pushed aside and a long table was placed in the middle to serve as the buffet table. At the kitchen, the house cooks were frantically cooking Soeun’s favorite food, which was a lot. Hyejoo and Heejin hung the banner where their birthday message for Soeun was written on. Chaewon and Soojin then worked the hand pump, inflating the balloons. Hyewon helped hang the streamers and the happy birthday greeting banner on the wall opposite the door. Yeojin and Yerim helped the incoming staff place the food onto the table.

Jimin arrived with the trio along with Haseul. Entering, the four kids went on to help wherever they could. The couple was pleasantly surprised to see her best friend.

“You came!” Jungeun said as she hugged Haseul tight.

“Of course! Its Soeun’s day after all.” Haseul replied as she kissed each of their cheeks.

The decorations were set and the food was all cooked and placed neatly through the length of the table. Jiyoon’s cookies was also placed beside Soeun’s cake. Hyejoo herself slept late last night to bake the cake, fighting off sleep to bake and decorate the cake before she slept.

“No dad, this is Soeun’s first birthday cake. I wanna make it for her.” Hyejoo said as Jinsol told her to rest and their chef will take over. Ever since, Hyejoo made Soeun birthday ramyeon instead of buying or baking a cake. According to her, it was cheaper and better. But now that they had literal millions in their pocket, Hyejoo wouldn’t allow Soeun’s birthday not to have a cake.

The cake was a chocolate mousse cake with a teddy bear ornament. Hyunjin had thoughtfully retrieved Soeun’s teddy bear set and placed it around the mound of gifts they had gotten for her. Rechecking for minor details, Junguen and Jinsol was satisfied at their work. The group hugged each other, celebrating a successful party set up. Sitting on the couch, the group waited for the clock to strike seven o’clock.

At seven in the morning, Jinsol signaled the guard outside to proceed with the plan. Nodding, he ran up the flight of stairs to get him worked up and ruffled up, to add immersion to the upcoming leg of the plan.

Soeun was snoring as she slumbered when the door burst open. Startled awake, she found herself looking at one of their bodyguards. He was all roughed up and panting, something was going on. The dogs were also shaken awake and were running around the room.

“Ma’am! We have to go! The house is under attack!” The guard exclaimed as he pulled at Soeun.

“What? Where’s my sisters?!” Soeun exclaimed as she gestured for Yeoreum and Guruem to follow her.

“They’re out of the house Miss Sophie! We need to go now!” The guard said as Soeun scooped the two puppies up.

They sprinted down the stairs where they were met by several bodyguards who joined the entourage, blocking Soeun’s forward view. She was quickly ushered into the music room.

“Wait! This isn’t the garage door! Its on the oth-”

Soeun was cut off by a cacophony of voices saying one message.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOEUN!” The group greeted Soeun as she stood shocked with their bodyguards behind her clapping for her. Each one of her friends and family greeted her personally and gave her a hug. Each one was met by a teary-eyed Soeun who did her best to talk back while choking down tears and giving them tight bear hugs.

“Happy birthday daddy.” Soojin said as she sweeped her into a tight hug.

“You did this?” Soeun whispered amidst the embrace.

“No no, your parents did. Hyejoo-unnie baked you a cake. Jiyoon-unnie made you cookies. They all did a lot to make this possible. My surprise will come later.” Soojin replied with a wink.

“A cake?! No way!” Soeun said as she rushed to look at the cake Hyejoo had made hours ago. It was indeed her first time to have cake on her special day. Admiring the cake up close, Soeun took in every detail that Hyejoo had put on her cake. It was beautiful and it looked delectable as everything Hyejoo makes in the kitchen.

“Like it?” Hyejoo asked as she tapped her shoulder.

“Heck yeah! Its awesome!” Soeun said.

Yerim went to Soeun’s teddy bears putting them side by side. Once again, the bears have utter the greeting that they have programmed into the bears’ internal speakers. Hyunjin was awestruck at the bears’ message, amused by how it still sounded the same after all these years.

They sang the happy birthday for Soeun who did her best not to cry at this grand gesture. Originally, Jinsol’s idea was to have a grand celebration similar to the one they had previously. But her daughters suggested a house party where they would all be together instead of a grandiose party. They felt that Soeun would love a small party with her loved ones rather than a big social event. True to their words, Jinsol saw that Soeun was happier in this kind of setting.

“Make a wish baby!” Jinsol said as she lifted up the cake for Soeun to blow.

I wish to be with my family and Soojin for life. Soeun thought as she blew at the candles, extinguishing the flames. Applause was given as well as congratulations to the celebrant. Jinsol walked to the covered portrait as she held one side of the cloth while Jungeun the other end.

“Eyes here darling!” Jungeun called to Soeun, causing the others to look up as well.

The couple pulled the covering off the painting simultaneously and they heard awed gasps from the audience. Jungeun looked at her kids who stared at the painting. Looking up, she couldn’t help but admire the painting as well.

It was beautiful.

It was complete.

It was all she could ever want.

“Its so cool.” Hyejoo said breaking the silence as she looked up.

“You look like a prince.” Soojin told Soeun as she looked up, admiring the portrait.

The attention was diverted from the painting when they heard the crunching sound of bread being bitten into. The dead silence made the small crackles sound like thunderclaps. Looking behind them, they saw Hyunjin smiling innocently as she chewed on the bread.

“What? I’m hungry.” Hyunjin said, defending herself.

Bursting into laughter, the group decided that it was time to eat. Chaewon handed out plates to everyone while Soojin helped serve the food to e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter