Chapter Fifty-six: Surprise!

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin was leaning on her car door, scanning the crowd streaming out of Gimpo International intently. Hyewon stood a bit to her left and was doing the same thing, her height proved to be useful in situations like this. People were steadily coming out of the wide doors leading outside. Some were on their phones, some were talking to loved ones, and some just stood at the curb while waiting for a cab.

Hyewon saw the familiar frog-ears of a green hoodie and sure enough, Yeojin was there. She was scanning the crowd in front of her. She couldn’t really see much as most towered over her and blocked her sightline.

“Soojinnie, there’s Yeojinnie!” Hyewon said, tapping her cousin’s shoulder and pointing to the lost-looking hooded girl a couple meters away from them. Together, the two trudged through the crowd and tapped Yeojin on the shoulder. The startled girl let out a yelp as she twirled around towards them.

“Soojinnie! Hyewon-ah!” Yeojin grabbed her two cousins, pulling them into a tight hug. Soojin heard Hyewon tease Yeojin about being so small that she almost wasn’t found. This earned Hyewon a playful jab from their cousin.

The two were excited to tell their cousin all about the things that they had been up to lately. Soojin excitedly told her about her escapades which led to her meeting Soeun and the eventual blossoming of their relationship.

“Your tip worked Yeojin-ah.” Soojin excitedly told her about the trick Yeojin told her way back. That aluminum bags or foil can block the signals from coming out of the phone. Thus, tracking or calling the phone wrapped in aluminum won’t push through.

“But unnie used her card, she got found out.” Hyewon chimed in. Yeojin laughed at this and chided Soojin, saying that was common sense and she shouldn’t need to point that out.

“Silly Soojinnie. But hey at least you got a cute girl out of it.” Yeojin said as Chan-mi retrieved her luggage, walking the trio to the waiting car. Inside, Soojin congratulated Yeojin on her graduation.

“Not yet graduated, my paper just got approved and I opted for a furlough home instead of partying over there.” Yeojin corrected Soojin who in turn corrected her congratulatory message.

“Congrats on your paper approval then!” Soojin said and they all shared a laugh as the car merged into the lane going to downtown Seoul. They were going to Yeojin’s apartment at one of Gangnam’s high-rise towers. Hyewon noted that Yeojin was busy tapping away on her phone. But that wasn’t odd as Yeojin was a tech-geek and the most proficient in gadgets among all of them. Must be a new game, Hyewon thought as she looked out the window.

Arriving at Yeojin’s suite, they help carry her luggage. Going inside the lobby as Chan-mi parked their car, Yeojin and her cousins checked back in her suite. Retrieving her key card, they went up the elevator all the way to her penthouse suite.

Inside, the room was heavily decorated with anything resembling frogs. The luxurious Victorian-esque interior design clashed with the frog-shaped beanbag and stuffed frogs placed around the couches and coffe table. Yeojin ran to the bean bag jumping on it, evidently missing it dearly. Dragging the bean bag from her game room at the living room to her bedroom. Placing it in front of her computer desk placed lower than usual, she sat on it once more and watched her computer boot up.

“Oh, Yeojin-ah. A message for you.” Soojin said giving Yeojin her phone. She had forgotten about the phone as she rushed to her computer.

The phone’s screen briefly flashed, allowing Soojin to glance at the phone. The message sender struck Soojin curious as Yeojin got her phone from her.

On the screen was a message from a girl named Yerim.

Yerim? Jinsol’s Yerim? Soojin thought as she went to the kitchen to make a meal for her cousin. Hyewon was already there, heating a pan for kimchi fried rice.

“Pst, Hyewon.” Soojin whispered as she helped her cook.

“Yeah?” Hyewon briefly glanced at her cousin as she got the kimchi out of the fridge.

“Yeojinnie and Yerim are talking. Like they know each other.” Soojin relayed the information that she had discovered moments ago.

“Well, Yerim’s a nice person. Its not hard to like her.” Hyewon replied, trying to make sense of why the two know each other.

“With a heart emoji after her name?” Soojin said, dropping the bomb. Hyewon snapped around in an instant. In that moment, everything clicked for the two and a plan was made in their minds. Soojin increased the serving sizes to accommodate at least nine people.

Yeojin was going to get the shock of her life, Soojin thought as she cooked the fried rice.

Over at Accuracy International’s main headquarters at Seoul, a Sikorsky S-92 landed on one of its four helipads. A woman clad in a gray suit walked out of the helicopter, followed closely by her entourage. She had just come home from Alaska, transitioning from her Bombardier at Gimpo to her S-92 to fly here. She hated traffic and waiting so she takes helicopters whenever its possible.

“Postpone all of my pending appointments. I wanna go see my family.” Ha Sooyoung told her office secretary as she entered her office. She didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter