Chapter Sixteen: Family

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Gulfstream G650ER landed smoothly down on one of the runways of Gimpo International Airport. Taxiing along the runway, en route to its personal hangar. It had just come home from an extensive flight from Germany. Its pilots were tired, but still they operated with clean, precise accuracy that made them renowned, separating them from the average airline pilot. Then again, the owner of this jet wasn’t known for mediocrity for her, only the best was acceptable.

The plane snuggled safely into its hangar, the pilots reporting to ground control regarding their status. Signing off, they had let the engines spool down before allowing their passenger to disembark.

“Sah jang-nim, we are now ready to disembark.” The sole stewardess, politely informed a figure nose-deep into spreadsheets and papers.

“Indeed, give me a moment. Thank you.” Haseul curtly said, glancing briefly at her stewardess nodding thanks as she did so.

Scanning the papers one more time, she swiftly and carefully inserted them back into their folders and those onto her briefcase. Checking that everything was all inside, she rose straightening her snow white blazer. As she did so, her bodyguards stood up and took their positions with two each at her back and front, while one went ahead of them. The attendant lowered the jet’s airstair and down went the first guard. Signalling that it was clear, the others went on ferrying Haseul as they did so.

Arriving down on the tarmac, her silver Royce was already there waiting for her. The Escalade that the other guards would use were also there, behind the luxury car. Boarding the vehicles, they had waited for the signal to go. Receiving it moments later, wheels had spun and engines revved. The convoy had sped out of the hangar and into the night.

Looking out towards the cityscape, Haseul felt for her phone and dialled Min-yeong’s number.

At their Gangnam Estate, Min-yeong was with Soojin. She was watching her paint when her phone buzzed. Surprised, she reached for it.

Her surprise grew when she saw who was calling.

“Min-yeong-ah, how’s Soojin?” An elegant and well-spoken voice came from the other end.

“Soojin-ssi is with me sah jang-nim, we’re in her bedroom and the miss is painting.” Min-yeong reported, she was a bit flustered at the timing of the call. Luckily, she managed to keep her voice even.

“Good good, I’m coming home. I should be there in about… twenty minutes.” Haseul had replied, briefly pausing to ask her secretary about their ETA.

Bidding farewells, Min-yeong had ended the call. She faced Soojin who knew from her expression that something was awry.

“Unnie? What is it?” Soojin asked, pausing from her painting session.

“Sah jang-nim is coming home at this very moment.”

Soojin had kept her canvas well hidden in her closet, the paint was still drying. It was a portrait of Soeun that she had taken the other day. She was wearing a tie and shirt for an important presentation. Smitten by how masculine and appealing she looked like, she asked to take a photo of her girl. Something she gladly obliged to.

Mindfully, Min-yeong had reminded Soojin of her sketchbook and the young lady hid it under the stacks of sketchbooks she owned. Neither Haseul nor her staff come to her room but for Soojin, it was better to be safe than sorry. After that, Soojin had switched on her original phone. She had bought another phone when she started school, this phone was the one filled with their memories. Switching that one to silent, she felt bad for hiding Soeun. She loved her dearly but she didn’t want to risk her mother’s wrath befalling unto her.

A little past twenty minutes, a butler courteously knocked on the door. He informed Soojin that her mother was home and she wanted to see her downstairs. Complying, Soojin got ready. Combing her hair a bit and giving herself a once over in front of the mirror. Satisfied, she went on downstairs to meet her ever busy mother with Min-yeong in tow of course.

Arriving at the second floor landing, she found her mother standing in front of the grand staircase. Miraculously, her briefcase wasn’t in her hands. She wasn’t on the phone either. Haseul was simply looking up at her with a radiant smile on her lips.

“Soojinnie!” Haseul exclaimed when she saw her only child. Coming up the stairs, the pair had met at the first floor landing. They gave each other a warm hug and asked about each other.

“I’m good darling, a bit tiring at work. But nevermind that, I’m home now. Gosh the flight was so tiring.” Haseul shared as they walked down towards the sitting area. She had also inquired about her classes at the university as of late.

“I’m doing okay eomma. I have Hyewon-ah with me to keep me company.”

“Oh! Really? Had Jinwoo-oppa retired already?” Haseul excalimed in surprise. Retired Ambassador Jo Jinwoo was Haseul’s older brother. He had been a career diplomat all his life and finally, he was coming home to lead the Foreign Ministry. Apparently, her brother had retired from active diplomatic duties and was roaming the world one last time before settling down for good later this year.

“Oh he always loved to travel, a career in diplomacy was the only was to convince appa to let him go.” Haseul fondly recounted with a chuckle as they sat down on the couch.

“Indeed, Hyewon is doing good. She’s actually here, currently she’s at a friend’s house. I opted to let her stay here until uncle Jinwoo comes home. To avoid, incidents like last time with uncle Pak-su.”

“Ah yes, the one with him at Signiel. I remember.”

The two had talked for awhile, sharing stories with each other. Moments later, one of Haseul’s secretaries came up. She had a couple of bags, placing them onto the coffee table in front of them.

“Soojinnie. I brought you gifts from Germany. I passed by an arts store, they had these amazing top of the line brushes. I thought of you so I got you a couple sets of them as well as canvas and paints for your hobby.” Haseul said, cheerily showing her the bags.

Inside them were sets of Loew Cornell Golden Taklon, Grumbacher Goldenedge and Mont Marte brushes. An oak palette, an assortment of paint were inside them. Soojin smiled at her mother’s gesture and gave her a hug once more. Honestly, Soojin appreciates it more if her mother was by her side more. She’d love more moments like this.

It was clear to any observer that Haseul simply wants the best for Soojin. However, she could not see that providing the l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter