Chapter Thirty-five: So Close...

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon could feel her heartbeat in her ears as Heejin drove the two towards Jinsol’s Yongin residence. She had gathered enough information to make a credible conclusion to the couple. Hyejoo would finally have the family that she so longs for all these years.

Hyejoo couldn’t stop thinking about Chaewon’s sudden interview yesterday. She was suddenly so curious about her past and Soeun’s. She lovingly gazed at Soeun’s still sleeping form and thought that those dark days were long gone and far more brighter days await them.

Rosy was doing really well. It had gone from just being a literal hole in the wall with no name on it to an actual restaurant complete with staff and signs. Hyejoo still uses the menus that Soeun had hand made during their early days. Thanks to her loyal patrons, Rosy had spread from word of mouth. Recommendation after recommendation came and more patrons poured in. There were even days that the establishment was so full it couldn’t accommodate more patrons. Those that couldn’t dine in had take-outs. During SNU midterms, she remembered that she even had to call for emergency supplies from the market because the patrons were too many. It turns out that Jiyoon, Chaewon and Jihyo spread the word on campus about an amazing restaurant by the name of Rosy. This was why Hyejoo couldn’t take their money whenever they ate; they did so much for her and Soeun already.

Getting up from bed, Hyejoo went out and made breakfast for the three of them. Guruem might be a dog but the two consider him as their younger brother. He used to be a stray dog that Hyejoo found as she went home from work one night. Shivering and hungry, Hyejoo decided to take the pup in. She figured Soeun could also use the company whenever she’s left alone while she is at work.

As the aroma of food wafted into her nostrils, Hyejoo felt an unexplainable rush of good feelings. As if something good was about to happen. She cooked with a feeling of goodwill. Like something good was just around the corner.

Hyejoo at that moment didn’t know how correct her feeling was.

Jinsol and Jungeun met Chaewon’s car as they pulled into the parking spot beside Jinsol’s bike. The couple welcomed the pair into the house and invited them for breakfast.

“Please join us, Hyunjin and Yerim are waiting for the two of you.” Jungeun said as she opened the door for the three.

The two had obliged and followed them into the dining room. Heejin was surprised at how grand the family’s breakfast is. Pitchers of fresh fruit juice, pancakes, bacon, eggs and more were arrayed in neat platters. Hyunjin waved at Heejin upon seeing her, tapping on the chair beside her. She also waved to Chaewon whom she remembered at the grocery.

“Its the unnie that helped me too!” Hyunjin said.

“Indeed baby, she’s Chaewon.” Jungeun said, introducing her to Chaewon.

“Oh hi Chaewon-unnie!” Hyunjin said, waving once more.

Yerim rose from her seat to assist in seating the two. Heejin beside Hyunjin and Chaewon beside her. The couple had raised two well-mannered girls, Chaewon observed.

They then began to partake in the breakfast. Heejin was surprised to find out that the juice was literally purely squeezed orange juice. She was happy to hear Hyunjin’s nonstop talking, the girl probably was making up for lost time so she was talking every time she wasn’t chewing.

After the meal, Yerim had went to school and Heejin took Hyunjin up to her room. Another bout with Hyunjin’s army of kittens. Heejin highly respected Neugdae’s discipline for putting up with them almost every single day of his service with Hyunjin. Chaewon then went with the couple to Jinsol’s home office.

Inside, the office was even more opulent than her office at Lotte’s headquarters. World-class paintings adorned the walls, but the centerpiece was the family portrait take almost sixteen years ago.

“Its what drives me to work hard each day. The hope of one day finding them and spending my time with them, making up for those years that I was apart from them.” Jinsol said as she sat down on the couch in the corner, telling Jungeun and Chaewon to do the same.

Chaewon had left a copy of Soeun and Hyejoo’s photo with the couple. Jungeun had been looking at Soeun’s photo for a while. When suddenly it hit her.

They had already met when she booked Dr. Kahei to start sessions with Hyunjin.

“Oh Soojin-ah! Hi there!” Jung-eun greeted, startled by who was on the other side of the elevator.

“Jung-eun ssi hello, good morning.” Soojin greeted.

“I take it she’s the lucky girl?” Jung-eun said with a smile, indicating at the bandaged Soeun.

“Yes, indeed she is. She’s Park Soeun.” Soojin answered with a radiant smile.

“Ah, beautiful lady. Hello Soeun-ah.” Jung-eun said, extending her hand towards Soeun who took it and shook the hand gently but firmly.

This scene replayed in her head. Each time Soeun’s image resonates louder in her head. Her youngest child had her head in a bandage and an arm in a cast and sling.

“Honey…” Jungeun trailed off, her hands trembling.

“What is it?” Jinsol said.

“So-Soeun, I’ve met her as well.” Jungeun said.

She then went on to detail how she and Soeun had crossed paths during her discharge. She had also met Soojin when she waited for Jinsol and Hyunjin to come down from the clinic. Soojin was crying and Soeun was being treated in the ER. She spent time with her until Jinsol came back. That was the first time she had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter