Chapter Thirty-six: Triplets Reunited

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon walked through SNU’s fields with an uncanny haste in her pace. She went straight to the parking lot, messaging Soojin and the gang. She said that she’ll catch up later at Jihyo’s dorm for their sleepover. Stepping into her car, she gunned the engine and peeled out of the parking lot. She was going to Hyejoo, while she’s still at her house. Hyejoo had said that she’d have a day off today to rest but she might go to the grocery because Soeun’s tea had run out.

Soeun and Soojin were at the library. They were busy finalizing their slides and documents for tomorrow’s business plan defense. It was a semestral activity where they would present the business plan of a proposed business and defend it in front of a board of judges. The primary objective is to convince them that your business is sustainable and whoever would invest in it would profit.

“Would this be okay baby?” Soeun said, showing Soojin her laptop. One of the rare instances where she bought her computer to school. Soojin looked over Soeun’s presentation and it was well designed. She had planned a restaurant that makes traditional Korean food. Highly similar to Rosy, which was probably Soeun’s inspiration for her plan. Soojin on the other hand proposed a business that deals in the advertising and marketing of the clientèles’ products. She based her idea on one of Haseul’s companies that works with the Tourism Ministry.

Soeun was anxious because tomorrow would be an individual presentation. She was used to dual presentations where she and Soojin would team up. She just stared at the aisles of bookcases as she imagined what would unfold tomorrow.

“You can do this baby. I’ll take you out on a date after okay?” Soojin cooed encouraging Soeun. She perked up and went back to work. Jihyo and Hyewon joined the two later.

Hyejoo was watching the morning variety shows when she heard the sound of a car pulling up outside. Thinking that it might be Chaewon she went out to check. She saw Chaewon emerge from her car.

“Hyejoo-ah, hey.” Chaewon waved to her as Hyejoo opened the gate for her.

“What’s up?” Hyejoo asked.

“Do you have time? I need you to come with me.”

Curious, Hyejoo asked why.

“Just trust me. This could change your life and Soeun’s as well.” Chaewon said.

Hyejoo trusted Chaewon a lot so she went along with it. Thinking that she might have a winning lottery ticket or something, she went with her. She poured snacks for Guruem and water in case he might get hungry. Locking the front door and gate, Hyejoo got into the car with Chaewon.

This is it. I hope this works. Chaewon said to herself as she stepped on the accelerator. They were headed to Yongin. She was driving Hyejoo to a moment she had longed for so long.

“Do I look okay darling?” Jinsol asked Jungeun as they got ready.

“Yes, you look amazing baby.” Jungeun commented on Jinsol’s outfit.

The couple was unsure of what to wear today so they had went for a casual short-sleeved dress and flats look. Chaewon had messaged that Hyejoo would be coming today as Soeun had classes this day.

“I wish Yerim was here.” Jungeun mused as they walked out of their room.

“Yes, me too. But our baby was badly needed at school for an event. I called her dean earlier.” Jinsol said.

Heejin had arrived earlier at Hyunjin’s request. She wanted to have Heejin with her as she bathed her cats. Heejin was only to happy to oblige Hyunjin’s request.

“Hyunjin-ah is fond of Heejin isn’t she?” Jungeun said.

“Quite fond. Hyunjin introduced herself for the first time after sixteen years after all.” Jinsol said learning that piece of information from Dr. Kahei.

“You think she?” Jungeun said.

“Yeah, there’s a good chance. I approve of her, she helped Hyunjin so much. Did you see how happy she is with her?” Jinsol said.

She further shared how happy Hyunjin was with Heejin when she passed by the two as they shared a moment at the gardens. Heejin is a very well mannered and likeable young lady. She had no qualms about her and she’d easily get along with her. The couple had waited at foot of the grand staircase, with bated breath they waited for the butler to notify them of Chaewon’s arrival.

The gang had arrived at Jihyo’s apartment for their sleepover. It had become their tradition to sleep over at Jihyo’s whenever they had anything major coming up. Today it was Soojin and Soeun’s business presentation.

“Where’s Chaewon-ah?” Soojin asked as they went inside the dorm room.

“She had to go visit Hyejoo-unnie if I remember right.” Hyewon said.

“Those two had been together an awful lot lately.” Soojin observed.

“Oh Hyejoo-unnie has Chaewon’s photo tucked inside her phone case!” Soeun revealed to the clique.

“They look nice together! Chaewon-ah easily makes Hyejoo-unnie smile and laugh!” Jihyo said as she emerged from the kitchen with chips and soda.

“Yeah. I’m happy that unnie is finally looking after her own happiness after all this years.” Soeun said.

“But I do hope she brings the chicken she promised earlier.” Hyewon chimed in after arranging their bags in a vacant couch seat.

Chaewon had arrived in Yongin and was a couple hundred meters away from Jinsol’s house.

“Fancy houses. Hey Chaewon-ah, did you enlist us in a rich man’s death game or something?” Hyejoo joked, making a reference to the web drama series she and the gang watched the other night.

“No silly. Just trust me.” Chaewon cryptically said.

Hyejoo nodded and looked out the window. The walls of Jinsol’s mansion had come up and the granite walls was strangely familiar to Hyejoo. The car turned into the wrought-iron gates opened by a suited guard who whispered something into his earpiece as Chaewon’s Tesla drove in.

The mansion’s house garage doors was open and the family’s silver Phantom lay parked in it. As Chaewon pulled to the parking spot she frequented.

Hyejoo’s gaze drifted upon the Phantom inside the garage.

That silver Phantom evoked so many memories that had gushed into Hyejoo.

“Sophie-ah! I’ll get you a flower from school later okay? Keep eating so you can go to school with us too!” A little Hyejoo told a chubby-faced girl as she hugged her.

Sophie? Who was Sophie?

Hyejoo soon saw the dreaded nightmare scene. However this time, it was a much clearer rendition.

“Sophie! We have to go! Bad people are here! They made our broom broom go boom.” Hyejoo heard herself say as she carried a wailing Sophie away from the burning wreckage.

“Olivia-unnie! Eomma! Appa!” Sophie screamed as she was dragged away by her unnie.

Olivia? Hyejoo couldn’t understand what was happening. She was Son Hyejoo and not Olivia.

The final cascade of memories were a blonde woman playing a grand piano inside an opulent mansion. She could see Sophie along with two other little girls watch as the woman played and sang one of their favorite songs. Later, she heard the two unknown girls call the lady eomma. Was she their mother?

Just then, everything clicked in Hyejoo’s mind.

Sophie was Soeun.

Olivia was her.

“Hyejoo-ah? Are you okay?” Chaewon asked worried. Hyejoo cradled her head, bent over. Beads of sweat trickled down her head.

“Yeah. I’m okay. I’m okay.” Hyejoo answered.

“Shall we?”

Hyejoo nodded and they got out of the car. One of the guards smiled and greeted each of them with a deep bow.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter