Chapter Twelve: My Little Family

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihan was walking through the hall on Monday, the following week. The literature club room was in need of cleaning. The other club members were away on a literature expo for three days and the ones that are here in Seoul have their schedules crammed full. The only ones free were her and Zoa.

Heading inside her classroom for the period, she spots Zoa and sits beside her. It was the beginning of their literature analysis class.

“Hyewon-ah are you free today?”

“Mmm…pretty much. I only have the next class for today, same as you Jihan-ssi.”

“Ehhh? Yah Jihan-ah is fine.” Jihan told Zoa.

“Ohh, okay Jihan-ah. I thought I needed to use -ssi from now on since you’re club president.” Zoa told her with a chuckle.

“Oh no, its alright. However you need to use that if you’re talking to someone really senior to you. Like the student council president for instance.” Jihan explained.

“Anyways, I was hoping you could help me with something?”

Jihan went on to explain how their club room was in need of cleaning and a little touch up. She also added how the other members are busy with their own tasks.

“Sure! Sounds like fun!” Zoa instantly agreed to Jihan’s request after she finished.

The two then went on to focus on the class as their professor entered and the classes soon commenced. They actively participated in class, Zoa herself reciting a few times. Zoa’s Korean had significantly improved over the month. This is all thanks to Jihan and the notes she makes for Zoa as well as their late night phone calls.

“The message of Ernest Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms is that one should recognize the brevity of life and take advantage of life's joys while it is still possible.” Zoa succinctly and efficiently gave the message of Hemingway’s A Farewell to Arms.

The professor lauded her effort with a praise. Zoa sat happily sat down. Jihan silently clapped for her friend and praised her skill as well.

The discussion went on about literature that evokes messages on the reality of life and conflict. Since the topic of discourse was novels written primarily in the English language, the professor used the said language for the class. Most students have decent English language proficiencies but Zoa stood out the most among them. Having lived in Canada all her life, English and French were her primary languages. This caused Zoa to gain admiration for her language skills.

Classes finished and they were heading to the cafeteria when Zoa came upon Soeun. She was waiting in line at the counter. Jihan excused herself to find Soojin to keep her company, Soeun mentioned that Soojin was alone waiting in line. Zoa stayed on the line with her.

“Soeun-unnie I need your help.”

“Yeah kiddo? What’s up?”

“Me and Jihan need help with cleaning the club room.”

“Oh? We got you two. I’ll go tell Soojinnie when we get to the table.”

“You guys hungry?” Soeun asked Zoa.

“Yeah, we could use a bite unnie.”

Zoa offered to pay, but Soeun declined and insisted that she would.

“Soojinnie mostly buys stuff for the two of us. I’d like to buy her a meal or two sometime.” Soeun said.

“Ohh, I get it unnie. I appreciate you being there for Soojin-unnie.” Zoa said, inserting something about being the guy in their relationship.

“Really? What makes you say that?” Soeun asked curious

“Well unnie you’re cool and badass, you also protect unnie from creeps. Like you know, last time.”

The two bumped fists and waited for their turn at the line. Eventually reaching their turn, Soeun ordered four sets of kimchi rice and chicken and carried it back to Soojin’s table. Soeun saw that Soojin and Jihan were talking animatedly about school stuff.

Soeun placed the tray on the table and handed each of them their plates. Soojin looked up at her with a smile on her face.

“What?”

“Remember? The night we first met? It was a very similar scene.” Soojin elaborated with a very dorky grin on her face.

Soeun blushed at this, Soojin was right. It was similar to the night they met, only it was Hyejoo instead of her. She then sat down beside her and they began to eat.

“Jal meokkessumnida!” They collectively said before splitting their chopsticks and digging in.

Soeun observe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter