The Key is Under the Mat

100 Ways to Say 'I Love You'

Chapter 84


A/U


The first day Jiyong started working for Seunghyun was the luckiest day of his life. He was a broke college student who was having trouble affording a fresh pair of paint brushes for his senior project so he needed a job. He was fortunate enough to pick up a newspaper with an ad for help.

 

Apparently, there was a CEO who needed a cook to have his meals ready for him once he finished his late nights at work and returned home. The hours were perfect and the pay was just enough to get him his school supplies. Jiyong may not have been a professional cook but he had experience in making good home cooked meals.

 

The deal had been simple, after meeting Seunghyun for an interview, every weekday he would go to the businessman's house, letting himself in with the key under the mat, and cook a meal for Seunghyun to enjoy once he returned home from work.

 

In the beginning Seunghyun made it a point to return home early to ensure Jiyong was comfortable cooking in a kitchen he wasn't used to. The pair would enjoy a meal together and, in the 2 weeks it happened, Jiyong had felt himself becoming attracted to the man. The way he laughed, smiled, pouted, and the sincerity in the man's heart was absolutely mesmerising. His appearance didn't help in the matter. Seunghyun face oozed appeal.

 

When they moved onto the agreed upon arrangement, Jiyong found the attraction become longing as he prepared one meal and left it wrapped to keep it somewhat warm. He made sure to leave a small note on the meal before leaving the house. Locking the door behind him and placing the key back under the mat.

 

2 months after starting his job, things changed. Jiyong started noticing little sticky notes left by his boss. The man would reply to Jiyongs message, drawing little characters in the corner, and place the notes on the fridge where he knew his cook would see it.

 

It was then that Jiyong decided to leave more then enjoy your meal on the notes, he opted for questions about his day, or if he enjoyed work. Jiyong began to crave for the messages left by the other man and his heart thumped every time he noticed one. One note a day quickly became more.

 

4 months after starting his job, things changed again. Jiyong set off to prepare the meal as he had intentions of surprising his sister after he left. When he read a lone note, however, Jiyong knew the surprise wasn't going to happen.

 

His face blushed red in embarrassment and he didn't know what to think. There, in neatly written handwriting, read: Wait for me to get home, I'll be early and we should enjoy a meal together.

 

It was unprofessional and embarrassing but Jiyong gushed at the note. He folded it neatly and placed it in his pocket before nodding his head in approval and going to grab more ingredients from the fridge.

 

Once the meal was prepared, Jiyong nodded in self approval before moving to set the table. Intending on grabbing the plates, jiyong grew confused as a purple sticky stuck on the top plate. Curiosity getting the best of him, Jiyon carefully picked up the note and read it.

 

If you're setting the table then you must be staying. It's a date.

 

Never in his life had Jiyong felt a combination of shy and excitement. A date with the man who filled his stomach with butterflies, and the ability to see a man he hadn't seen in months.

 

Looking down at his apparel, Jiyong really wished he would have put more effort into his appearance.

 

He froze as he heard the faint sound of the front door opening. Seunghyun was earlier than he ever was.

 

“Ji, are you here?”

 

A grin grew on his face and he felt his face heat up as the man entered the kitchen.

 

4 months and 2 weeks after starting his job, Jiyong accepted the offer of promotion from cook, to boyfriend.

 

2 months after being promoted, the key under the mat became his own.


It's Monday... Bleh.

Guess what, chapter 86 has 8 pages... I kind of went crazy in writing it out. I've written up to chapter 89, and I noticed that I have 11 more chapters to write, 16 more to post, before this collection is complete.

I've actually started writing another story that I'm going to post in a week or so. It's completely opposite of Memories (Have you guys been reading that?). It's light, fun, and completely in Jiyongs perspective. I haven't written a story in first person since freshman year in college, but it's fun.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. I thought it was cute.