Chapter Forty-two: Family

Striving With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinsol was in her underground garage. It housed her hyper-car collection and each car had its own pedestal-like place that adorns each automobile as if it were a monument. Cars from all makes could be found underground. The cars stored here were rarely used by her or Jungeun. It was purely her collection. The cars that the family uses were placed in the outhouse garage.

The garage had housed exotic and rare cars coming from famous brands such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lykan, Aston Martin and many more. Jinsol’s favorite piece of her collection was the Koenigsegg One:1, the only car in the world with a one-to-one power to weight ratio. It had sat at the center of her garage with spotlights adorning its prominent assets. As Jinsol looked at the car, she suddenly remembered her children. Hyunjin and Yerim each had a Bentley Continental GT of their own, but the siblings prefer to travel in their Phantom where the passenger seat in the rear was specially made for Hyunjin.

Soeun and Hyejoo however had none.

Jinsol turned around and went towards the elevator and pressed the ground floor button. She would correct that today. Looking down on her Audemars Piguet, she saw that it was just seven in the morning. Plenty of time before the family dinner with Haseul and Soojin.

Jungeun went home with the kids yesterday to find Jinsol sipping tea in the music room. Her wife excitedly relayed the news that Soojin was actually Haseul’s child. The same Jo Haseul that studied with them back in Harvard.

“Really?! That’s great news!” Jinsol said upon hearing the news.

Jungeun had then went on to tell her about a family dinner tomorrow evening at her place. A dinner to commemorate the relationship of their children. Jinsol had automatically agreed, it was good that Haseul took the news of Soojin’s relationship positively. She remembered Haseul to be a stern perfectionist, graduating at the top of their class. Jinsol had come second and Jungeun third. Nevertheless, the trio had kept in touch despite their busy schedules. Haseul even came back to Korea upon learning that their two daughters were missing. She had almost turned Seoul inside out to no avail, she stayed to comfort the distressed family of her best friends.

She was eager to meet her best friend once more so she had prepared thoroughly for the night. Jinsol had bought in designers to make dresses for each of her daughters, commissioning them to finish the pieces with a day. Of course a commission this magnitude required compensation equaling the pressure. Thus, Jinsol had paid about five times the price of each dress.

Jinsol found Hyejoo and Soeun in the kitchen eating pancakes. Sophie offered her and she accepted, despite being on a diet. She has a soft spot for her two youngest daughters.

“Hi appa.” Soeun said kissing Jinsol’s cheek and giving her a hug.

“Let’s go shopping dears. I’ll get you some things for tonight.” Jinsol said in between eating.

The two sisters had agreed and in all honesty, they had never spent money that much. Especially yesterday. This life was truly something that needs adjusting to. The two had finished their pancakes and were getting ready to leave. Yerim was at school and Hyunjin was with Dr. Kahei along with Jungeun. So today, it’ll be just the three of them.

Getting inside the family car, they had went off to one of Seoul’s upper district shopping areas. Jinsol wanted to get them jewelry first. To complement the dresses that they had custom-made for them. Arriving at the Graff outlet near Lotte Avenuel, Jinsol told the siblings to go in first as she had a call to make. Hyejoo and Soeun went inside the store to wait for their dad. The two had honestly no experience in buying jewelries. Soeun’s most expensive jewelry was the silver necklace with a heart pendant she always wears. It was given to her by Hyejoo during her 18th birthday.

“May I help you?” A snooty looking man appeared from behind a counter.

“Oh yeah, just looking around while waiting for someone.” Hyejoo courteously said as she looked at the display shelves. Laden within it in velvet padding were jewelry pieces adorned with precious stones and made with precious metals. Exquisite pieces with exquisite prices, Hyejoo thought to herself as she browsed the shelves. This caused the man to look at her with sheer suspicion and disgust. The man thought that ladies who dressed like that aren’t welcome in the shop.

Soeun just followed Hyejoo, lost in what was the proper thing to do. She could hear a couple of the salespeople talking about them. Looking down on herself, she realized that she and Hyejoo weren’t wearing the ‘proper’ attire for places like this. She just kept her gaze down and followed her unnie.

“They’re just wasting our time.”

“I bet you they can’t afford anything in here.”

“The cheapest bracelet here might probably be more valuable than everything they own!”

The staff wasn’t aware that Jinsol had already entered the shop. She had fully heard everything the staff was saying about her daughters.

“Are you sure about that?” Jinsol suddenly said in a low voice, smiling dangerously at the staff who nearly jumped out of their skin.

“Yes ma’am! People like you belong here! Not them!” The man said.

Jinsol wanted to slap the man until he was beet red. But she resisted, she was much more than that.

“Those people are my daughters boy.” Jinsol said, her eyes staring daggers at them. The manager came out of his office to check on his people. He saw the small commotion erupting and jumped in to intervene.

“Oh, Ji-Jinsol-ssi! I’m sorry for my staff’s behavior it won’t happen again!” The manager said bowing deeply in an effort to diffuse the situation.

“No need. Make sure to train your staff, manager. Consider my support, revoked.” Jinsol whispered, deathly low to the manager whose shivering intensified.

Jung Jinsol was a major investor and a member of the board of directors at Graff. Her withdrawal would shake the very foundations of the company. Aside from Lotte, Jinsol invests and owns a wide range of companies including a Formula One Team.

“Nobody talks about my children that way.” She whispered one last time before she called to her kids.

“Babies! Come come! The pieces here doesn’t match my standards.” Jinsol said waving to her kids. They saw what happened and followed her as they went out. The manager wanted to throttle his misbehaving employees who’re now red in shame. They had effectively knocked off a leg in the Graff company, ensuing corporate destabilization.

Inside the car, Jinsol told the driver to head into Lotte Avenuel. They were headed to the Piaget store inside. Hyejoo and Soeun sat on either side of her. They were quiet. They felt they had embarrassed their father.

“Jinsol-appa, mianhae.” Soeun meekly said, her head hung low.

“Baby? Why?” Jinsol asked puzzled.

“We’ve embarrassed you earlier. We’ll try to dress better.” Soeun said referring to the earlier situation.

“Oh darling baby no. Don’t change yourselves because of a person’s negativity.” Jinsol said hugging her youngest.

“Never ever change yourself because of someone’s bullying. You are you and no one can change that. Not even me baby.” Jinsol hugged her child rubbing her back.

“Promise me kids. Be yourselves. No matter what they say always choose yourself. Change for the better, not to please others.” Jinsol said as she hugged both Hyejoo and Soeun.

“Yes appa.”

“Mmm-mmm.”

The two sisters agreed and hugged Jinsol back.

“Besides, its really cool to have to rockstar daughters!” Jinsol said in an effort to lighten the mood.

“I love you the both of you for who you are.” Jinsol said as she kissed the top of each girl’s head. Jinsol would fight to protect these precious gems. She lost them once, she won’t lose them again. Not anymore.

They had arrived at the Avenuel. It was an e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter