Que Sera Sera

YouTube Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon was pacing around the house since getting ready in the morning , today is the day. The first round of interview with the social workers and honestly, she has absolutely no idea what they would ask from her. She hope her foot in mouth disease will not act up today, today is an important day for her , for Nicole , for their daughter Mina. Yes , Mina is already her daughter. Not lawfully ,but for Hyoyeon and Nicole , Mina is their daughter.

Nicole herself was freaking out , her palm is sweaty and she felt the temperature in the house has risen tremendously. Hyoeyon walked towards her and put her arms around her shoulder and pulling her into a hug , she felt how quick her girlfriend’s heart is beating. “Baby , don’t worry. We can do this.”

“What if we screw this up?”

“Then I will have my mummy to get things done for us…” Nicole said confidently , her mother is an assemblywoman in Korea and a very influential one. But the thing is , she has not confided in her mother about her decision to adopt Mina. She sighed , it will be a long talk with her mother after this. Hyoyeon kept taking deep breaths , Nicole was afraid her girlfriend would have a heart attack at this rate. “Calm down. We have this. No matter what happens , we will not give up. We will have Mina with us.” Hyoeyon breathed out and followed her girlfriend’s instructions, “We will be okay.. we will be fine.” She whispered to herself while sitting back on the couch.

Suddenly the door bell rang, Hyoyeon jumped up and rushed to open the door. Infront of her is the interviewer , a woman in her late 50s , with short curly hair and a meanncing gaze. “You Kim Hyoyeon?” Hyoyeon nod her head and gestured the woman to enter the house , the woman introduced her self as Mrs Moon. She walked around the house and look around, “This house belongs to the both of you?”

“No.This house belongs to our friend Kwon Yuri and her wife Jung Jessica.” Hyoyeon answered and watched as the woman gave a distasteful look.

“What are you doing here then? You don’t do well in your job that you need to live in your friend’s house?” That question irked Nicole up , she walked towards the both of them.

“Hello. Nicole Jung. Her girlfriend. I am a fashion designer and owner of a few boutique stores in Korea and a few in the States and Europe. I can assure you our financial is stable. Very stable that we can adopt a child.”

“Her girlfriend?” The woman asked. Nicole and Hyoyeon nod their heads.

“Hmph… let’s sit down and talk.” They entered the dining room and the interviewer saw the playroom. “Are there more kids here?”

“There is. Our friend Yuri has three daughters with her wife , while another one has a baby girl.” Nicole filled her in.

“Are all of you lesbians?” Hyoyeon was struck with the question.

“We are. We know each other since middle school and we supported each other through our own ups and downs.” Nicole answered.

“Why are you guys here then if you both are so financially stable as you two mentioned?” She said coldly.

“We are here because our friend Kim Taeyeon and her wife gave birth around 9 months ago , and Taeyeon’s mother was on a cruise holiday while she was in labor , so Yuri and her wife offered to help them with the baby while Taeyeon recovers. We are very close to each other , so we moved in too , to try and help each other out.” Hyoyeon explained.

“Why do you want kids?”

“I think , any human once they have settled down , they would like to have a family and that is what Hyo and I are doing.”

“What about stability ? Family normalcy? Can you give the little girl the stability she needs and the normalcy she deserves? From what I can see , all of you are leading a not so good lifestyle.” That statemtn snapped the both of them. Hyoyeon sat straight in her seat and stared at the woman.

“Mrs Moon ,with due respect , you do not have a say in how we lead our lives. As far as you are concerned , everyone living under this roof are professionals , we all have careers and we are more than capable than giving a child or even ten children a very good lifestyle. And our so called lifestyle you deemed as wrong , is called love. Love is love. It is blind. As I can see , you are homophobic , and if you already put down your judgement on us , there is no need for this interview to continue.”

“Mrs Moon , I hope you take back what you said. Because we are not just common citizens , we have a huge public support behind us , one more thing, I have seen more abuse and unhappiness in a heteroual family than in a homoual family. The love Hyoyeon and I have is pure , it’s happiness and we would like to give this girl a shot at happiness . Her own father abandoned her and have a list of criminal activities , while her mother is dead. Is this the correct lifestyle you promote? Just because we are a little bit different from others that does not mean we deserve this treatment. So what if we are in a same relationship , let me tell you the cost to make a child for us.We need to pay for hormone treatment , to buy ,the procedures and all the physical and emotional pain that doesn’t guarantee a child. While you heteroual couples e for free, we need to work hard for the money to prepare for a child. We have to plan our every expenses carefully before bringing a child into this world and sometimes it takes more than 10 times of treatment to have a baby. So please enlighten me on how we are not financially capable or our lifestyle is not good enough to raise a child?”

Mrs Moon was quiet ,she stared down at her own cup.

“Do you think you have the right to come in here and disrespect us? As a social worker who make sure that every child and helpless people are given the best life possible , you sure hope for Yoo Mina to be placed in social services. This little girl has already gone through a lot in her four year old life and now we are trying to give her happiness , yet your judgement is hindering it. I think this interview is done , please leave this house. We will appeal to the family court and high court on your actions and demand a new interviewer , someone who is not biased and put Mina’s future as their forefront.” Hyoyeon said cooly. She stood up with Nicole and urged the woman to leave.

“One more thing , my mother is the assemblywoman in the Seoul parliament. She is the one who pushed for same marriage a few years back. So be prepared to hear from your superiors on your actions. I do not wish for it , but your actions are unprofessional and biased . You do not have the qualifications to be a social worker.” Nicole spat and the woman left dejectedly. Hyoyeon slumped on the couch , “That went well.”

“I’m calling mummy.” Nicole said and left with her phone. Hyoyeon just sighed , adopting a child is also hard work. “Babe…I’m going to Mina.” Nicole nod her head and Hyoyeon left to the hospital. She took a glance at the time , Mina must have finished breakfast and preparing for her physical rehabilitation. She drove to the hospital and entered the ward.

“Hello!” She greeted Mina cheerfully. Mina’s face lit up , “Yeonnie emmo!”

“How are you today?”

Mina shrugged her shoulders , “I want to get out of her quick.”

“Then work harder and we will be out of here quick.” Mina nod her head and Hyoyeon helped her with her crutches and they both walked slowly to the rehab room. “Mina-ya , don’t push yourself too hard. If it’s too tiring , just rest okay. If you got hurt again , we have to start everthing from the beginning.” Hyoyeon advised the little girl when she saw Mina huffing and puffing with the crutches. Mina stopped her footsteps and looked up to Hyoyeon, “I am tired.” Hyoyeon smiled and ruffled her hair , “Arasso , hold on.” She squatted down and held the girl in her arms, Mina hugged her neck tightly. “Let’s go princess Mina.” The little girl giggled.

Nicole waited patiently outside her mother’s office , it feels like ages ago when she last visited her mother’s office. She felt like a young child again being sent home for truancy and waiting outside her mother’s office waiting for her turn t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter