Baby Steps

YouTube Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina was sleeping soundly when Jessica went in to look at her, the tears are still fresh on her face. Another day of falling asleep while crying, Jessica sighed. Only this little girl knows the pain of losing both parents. Jessica leaned in and kissed her forehead. “You’re strong little one..” . Today’s the first day Mina was transferred to the normal ward, tomorrow Ji Ji will come and visit her. 

 

Hyoyeon and Nicole too will come over later to introduce themselves to Mina. Krystal entered the ward , “She’s asleep?” Jessica nod her head, both of them stared at the sleeping girl. “I hope she can slowly open her heart up for Hyoyeon and Nicole.”

 

“It takes time. Hopefully our huge family can help her to accept us easier.” Krystal said while holding onto Jessica shoulder lightly.  “How could a parent be so cruel towards their own flesh and blood?” Jessica asked, her sister just shrugged. “The world is a complex place unnie.” Jéssica sighed and saw Hyoyeon and Nicole entering the ward, the blonde woman walked up to the child and held her hand slowly. “What if she doesn’t like me?” She asked. 

 

Just then Mina opened up her eyes, Krystal went to her. “Anyeong... did you have a good sleep?” She nod her head. “Do you still feel pain?” She nod her head. “Where?” She pointed to her chest. “Do you recognize me?” Jessica asked 

 

“You’re Ji Ji’s mummy...” 

 

“That’s right! Ji Ji missed you so much. I will bring her here tomorrow to visit you , is it okay?” Mina nod her head again, she missed Ji Ji, ever since her umma asked her not to be close with Ji Ji her heart hurts. “These two people...they want to take care of you. Are you okay with that?” Jessica asked and watched as the little girl’s gaze falls on Hyoyeon and Nicole. The blonde woman stepped forward and held her hand, “Anyeonghaseyo. My name is Kim Hyoyeon. You can call me emmo or unnie or Hyo.” She said cheerfully. But Mina was staring at Hyoyeon intently , “Your hair is yellow.” 

 

Hyoyeon and everyone laughed , Hyoyeon go near her and let her touch her hair. “It’s not yellow. It’s blonde.” 

 

“Blonde?” She asked and tugged on Hyoyeon’s  hair a little. “It’s real?” Mina asked. “It’s real. I can assure you.” Mina kept staring and touching it, “Are you born with it?” Hyoyeon shook her head. 

 

“Aniya. I colored it. Did you like it?” Mina nod her head. “It’s nice color...” Nicole approaches her , “Its nice isn’t it? When you’re older you can color your hair any color you like. What color would you like?” 

 

She thought for a little while and answered , “Pink” she said shyly. “Pink? Is that your favorite color?” Nicole asked , but Mina shook her head. “ I like yellow. But Ji Ji loves pink.” Hyoyeon understood , “So you want pink hair for Ji Ji ?” 

 

“Yeah.. it will make her happy.” 

 

Jessica smiled , “You’re so thoughtful.” She said and patted the girl’s head. “Are you going to be my new umma?” Mina asked quietly. Hyoyeon and Nicole crouched down to talk to her. “Nicole is my girlfriend. We can never be your umma. But we will take care of you from now on. You can call us whatever you want.” 

 

“We can never replace your umma. She’s forever yours and you are forever hers. Just call us whatever you want maybe emmo or unnie but not halmeoni.” Nicole joked. Mina smiled a little bit it’s obvious that she’s still nervous. “Mina-ya... you will be living with these emmos. And these emmos are living with Ji Ji and all of us including Miss Jung.” Jessica said to the little girl.

 

“Yeah... we live with Ji Ji and there are babies around to play with and Ji Ji’s dog DooEe.” Hyoyeon said excitedly , the nervousness slowly fades away from her face. “Hae Ji will be there too?”

 

“She will... and maybe when you recover you both can stay together in one room.” Nicole said making Krystal shook her head. “Hae Ji’s Umma will go crazy...” making every adult in the room laugh. “Hae Ji say there are a lot of babies in her house...”

 

“It’s true. There are three babies now and another two coming.” Nicole told her. “So there will be five babies.” Mina counted after some time. “And with you and Ji Ji there will be seven babies around...” Hyoyeon said and held Mina’s hand. She was expecting the little girl to flung her hand away but Mina didn’t. Hyoyeon smiled to herself. They might be off to a good start. 

 

“Mina, you must be strong and get well soon. You don’t want to keep staying here right?” Hyoyeon asked, Mina shook her head. “Then you need to eat healthy and rest well. Are you bored? Emmo can bring some stuff for you to do.” Hyoyeon said. “Can I talk to Hae Ji tomorrow?” She asked quietly. “Of course! She’s coming tomorrow to see you...” Jessica said. 

 

“She’s the only thing I want...” Mina declared making the adults bulged open their eyes. “Arasso, she will be here tomorrow.” Hyoyeon pat her head and kissed her forehead. “Rest well. I will be outside. If you need anything just call me okay?” Mina nod her head and they slowly got out of the room. 

 

“That’s one love sick child...” Nicole said as soon as they are out of the ward. Jessica chucked and shook her head, “Puppy love is always the most memorable.. don’t you agree?” 

 

“Let’s get her Kwon Hae Ji tomorrow...maybe she’ll recover quicker that way.” Nicole suggested. 

 

 

 

The next morning , Ji Ji woke up earlier than she did on a weekend, she got up by herself and cleaned herself up and choosing her own outfit. Yuri heard her daughter rustling and woke up to take a look at her. She was shocked when Ji Ji took out almost all her clothes and was trying on a long dress with frills. “What are you doing this early?”

 

“Umma I will see Mina later. I want to look good for her.”  Yuri felt her eyes twitching as she stared at her eldest daughter trying out yet another outfit. She was about to stop her daughter when a pair of arms circulate around her waist. “Don’t.” Jessica said and that one word shut Yuri up. “Baby, she misses you. I’m sure she wants to spend time with you, shouldn’t you wear something comfortable so you can color and draw with her?” H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter