Chanyeol's Story

That Girl, That Boy

'Ch-Ch-Chanyeol?'

Your teeth chattered loudly amidst the rain that was continuously beating down on the umbrella. 

'I-I think we should have a talk'

He waved at the car he had gotten out of and the car sped off leaving the two of you standing in the rain shelted by his umbrella. You shivered and Chanyeol took off his jacket and placed in on your shoulders. He leaned the umbrella to your side and he could barely fit under it due to his height. The rain splattered on his shoulder so you took the umbrella off him and stuffed his hand in the jacket pocket to keep it warm. After the long walk up the hill, there was still another 15 minute walk until you would reach the hotel. You tried to start the conversation.

'Y-You said... ' 

'-That we should talk'

'Y-yeah'

'I'm... I'm going to tell you a secret'

You stayed silent. Chanyeol didn't expect a response anyway

'And... Will you be honest with me if I tell you?'

'What are you trying to ask me?'

'I-I know that there's something you're hiding from us so... will you tell me?'

'Did I make it that obvious?'

'No...I've been thinking it for a while but this morning...'

'I ran off and it confirmed everything...'

'Y-Yeah...But I'll tell you about me first... You-You ought to know'

He's nervous. He keeps stuttering.

 

'You've pr-probably noticed I'm wearing a suit'

You looked down but nodded to show you were still listening.

'W-Well you know my noona is a model already and... What do you already know about me?'

Your head perked up after hearing that.

Why's he asking?...

'J-just so I don't repeat it'

Yeah right. He's just buying time to calm his nerves

 

You thought back to the night you went out for dinner with Xiu Min. 

'Xiu Min said you were lazy and won't do chores so you have a job'

You felt Chanyeol stiffen a little and you hit him lightly.

'But he also said you have the job because you wanted to help Jiyoung-unnie pay the bills'

'Ah, so you know she helps us out money-wise'

'Yeah, I guess'

'What else did Xiu Min tell you? Perhaps... about all of us?'

'He... he told me the meaning of EXO'

You felt him stiffen even more than last time. 

It's obviously a touchy subject for them all.

'So you know that EXO stands for 'The Problem Kids'?'

'Xiu Min called it special entry...'

'Well that keeps our dignity I guess... I bet you're curious why I'm asking you all this'

'I'd be lying if I said I wasn't'

 

Chanyeol stopped walking as you came to a bench and signed to you to sit down. Luckily it was under a shelter so the seats weren't wet and you wouldn't need to hold the umbrella any longer. 

'Alright. I'll tell you why I'm a special entry but in return, will you tell me why you left this morning?'

You hesistated before agreeing. It was inevitable that you'd have to tell him eventually anyway. 

'O-Okay. Well... You know that Jiyoung-noona planned this entire trip, right?'

'Yep'

'Everything here... It belongs to my parents'

'Wait... What?'

'The airline we used is owned by my father... and the hotel we're staying at is owned by both my parents. The ajusshi works for my family'

'Which ajusshi?'

'The one with the fake name who's been driving us everywhere'

'Jeffery's his fake name?'

'Yeah... I wasn't sure whether to reveal all this to you so I asked him to refrain from greeting me formally and in return I would be more relaxed around him too'

'So you're telling me you're the son of two of the biggest CEO's in Korea?... And it's not a joke?'

'Yeah, I'm not kidding'

'That still doesn't explain why you're a special entry though...'

'I used to attend one of the private academies in Seoul... where the rich celebrity kids go to school.'

'So what happened?'

'I became a disgrace to my parents. I became spoilt and lazier than I am now. Old habits die hard. If you think I'm lazy now, you should have seen me back then. Being around those other kids turned me into a living monster and one day, my parents flipped out'

'It can't have been that bad...'

'Oh but it was. They would have disowned me if I hadn't been their only son... They didn't want anything to do with me so they sent me to boarding school-'

'Under special entry'

'Precisely. It was kept a secret about my background. Even now, no-one apart from the 13 of us and a few teachers knows anything about the wealth I could have inherited'

'Could have?'

'My parents still aren't on good terms with me'

'But Jiyoung-unnie said she'd sort this holiday out with them...'

'They listen to noona. She's famous and successful and most importantly, beautiful'

'You're good-looking too, you know'

You mentally kicked yourself. 

, did I actually just let that slip?...

Chanyeol chuckled obviously pleased with your remark. 

'Thanks Haneul...'

'Anytime... But why are you in a suit?'

'Jiyoung-noona sets all these meetings up for me. She organised Jeffery to come to Japan and be our chauffeur and has part ownership of a company too. I think she feels bad for me so she tries to get our parents to see me differently. She lets me take over her company sometimes so that later I can show my parents that I've changed into a responsible person and I'm not the spoilt brat I used to be...'

Chanyeol looked down at his feet and you felt like you were seeing a small child in front of you. He let out a cry but it didn't sound like any noise a human could ever make. He clenched his fists. 

He's hurt that much by his own parents...

'They hate me so much. I just want my parents to stop seeing me as I was back then. They've just neglected me and I've had to grow up without them. That's why I love the others so much. I know they'll never leave me'

You held his hands and squeezed them. 

'Someday, your parents will see the light. I promise you. The Chanyeol I know is the most hard-working Chanyeol I've ever met'