Get Out

That Girl, That Boy

Haneul, get out of London. Get out of London. Get out, Haneul!

You woke up in cold sweat and screamed. Maddie came running into your room with a head torch on. You shreiked again waking Ah Ri up too. 

'Haneul! Hey, what's wrong?!'

You gasped and spluttered a little, swallowing down a huge gulp of water from your bottle. 

'B-Bad dream'

Ah Ri turned to face you from the bed.

'You've been having these dreams for too long now... What's been happening in them?'

'It... It was my cousin, Hyun Ki. He keeps telling me to leave saying... Saying 'get out of London'. I-Its making me feel uneasy'

Maddie threw you the landline phone. 

'Call him. Call him right now. Explain everything and see what he says. I have an awful feeling about this.'

You stared at her. Maddie had always had weird thoughts about karma and dreams. Ah Ri also had her doubts.

'Mads... Come on, it isn't that bad... Haneul hasn't spoken with her cousin in such a long time, how can she just ring him up?'

Maddie was adamant. 

'No. She's calling him. Right now. Right in front of me. This has gone on way too long. You've lost an incredible amount of weight, you're constantly tired and now you're having these bad dreams. Something isn't right here.'

She passed you the phone and you hesitated at first before punching in the numbers. 

 

'Yoboseyo? Sorry but who is this?'

'Hyun Ki, it's-'

'Shin Haneul?!'

'Hey...' you said sheepishly

'You... Wait, why are you calling me? You hate me'

'I-erm...'

Maddie elbowed you. 

'Tell him.' she said sternly

'Who was that?'

'It was my friend.'

'A girl? I thought you were living with boys?'

'I am-'

'Tell him.' said Maddie

You shushed her.

'Tell him. Now'

'Haneul, where on earth are you? If I didn't know better, I'd say you were in England'

You laughed awkwardly. 

'About that... I'm erm...'

'Wait, you're not!... Oh my God, please don't tell me you're back in London'

'W-Why? Why is it that ba-'

'Why is it bad?! Get out of there! Get out! Get out!'

'Wh-Why? What's going on?'

'He's there! He's escaped Hong Kong in search of another family member! Oh my God, get out of there Haneul! Get out!'

You held the phone at arms length away from yourself.

'You're pulling my leg, aren't you Hyun Ki?'

'How could I joke about someone trying to kill a member of my family?! Get your back here, Haneul Shin. If you're clever in the slightest, you would shift that skinny of yours right back to Seoul. Why the hell did you leave in the first place?!'

You explained it to him and you heard him sigh a few times down the phone. Once you finished, he could only sigh even more.

'Look Haneul. Get back here as soon as you can, okay? I can't have my only family member left leaving me so... So just promise me, you'll be getting on the next flight to Korea. Promise?'

Hyun Ki didn't get a reply. You ended the call taking deep breaths to calm yourself.

If I have to leave, I have to say goodbye to my parents once and for all.

 

***

 

'Hana. My name is Hana Kim'

'Hana Kim, such a pretty name'

It was now the seventh time meeting the nice old lady in the graveyard. Weird place to meet, right? But to you, it was the place where you felt safest. You had told her about 12 boys who she then referred to as your 12 heroes. You had told her about a girl who had plotted to injure you, posing as your best friend. You had told her about a boy who did the dirty work and how both had ended up serving community service and jail time but the one thing you hadn't told her was your real name. Hana Kim didn't exist; or at least if she did, she wasn't you. You were Haneul Shin, a sassy London born Korean who had undergone serious events in her life and now had no direction. 

'Forgive me for asking this, Hana but... You still haven't seen your ancestors' 

You realised this was true. Of all the time you had visited the cemetery, you hadn't seen your parents or your brother. You had gone to see the comforting old lady. You felt awful for hiding your real identity but whilst you were back in London, you would be Hana Kim, someone who couldn't be tracked down. 

'Oh, it's okay. I don't mind really.'

The lady patted your hand.

'My dear, I've been alive for many more years than you have. You've listened to my stories and come with me everytime to see my husband. At least let me make sure you see them'

She stood up, knowing full well that you would stand up too to make sure she was okay getting up. You held out your hand to steady her as you made your way down the winding path towards the area your family were laid. You knew this would be the last time seeing the lady and the last time you'd be able to come to the cemetery. Walking down the path, you took in your surroundings. You saw the trees and the individual plants. You saw the flowers that people had laid and for the Chinese buried, you saw the food and offerings their family had left them. 

 

A boy, died in World War II aged just 16.

 

A woman, beloved mother and wife, died aged 86 in July 1984.

 

A man and his daughter, died aged 39 and 8 in March 1997.

 

and then finally...

 

A family, died aged 49, 45 and 20 in Janurary 2012. A beloved father, mother and son. The  family. My family. 

 

You crouched down balancing on the backs of your heels. 

'Eomma... Appa... O-Oppa... H-Hello... It's me'

Your voice cracked and you croaked.

'It's Haneul' you whispered into the wind.

Tears began to fall down your face. 

'Why... Why did you have to leave me alone? Why couldn't you tell me that morning that it would be my last morning with you?'

You kissed the ground, not caring about the dirt.

'There was so much I wanted to do with you guys. Weren't we going to go to Paris? And Australia... And Joon, you horrible brother. You owed me a visit! How could you just die like that and leave me here without an oppa?! ' you screamed. 

You felt a hand on your shoulder to calm you but you ignored it. 

'Why?! Why?! Why did you have to leave me?! You-You idiot. Pabo. Joon-idiot pabo.' 

You looked like a mad person now, crying and sobbing in an unlady like manner. Your nose was running and your hair clung to your sweaty face. You felt the hand press down on your shoulder once more trying to comfort you.

'I'm sorry, granny. Forgive me for being like-'

'It's okay Haneul...'

You froze. It was a male voice, not a frail old lady's.

Haneul? She doesn't know me as Haneul. She knows me as Hana...

You turned to face the person and gasped before losing your balance and falling backwards straight onto your bum. 

 

 

 


WAHEY! Okay, I lied. You guys still have some more chances to guess whats going to happen. Or rather, guess who this strange guy is? Hmmm... 

Anyhow, moving swiftly onwards, how are you all? Are you feeling feverish or ill at all? Did you guys sleep well at night after seeing those photos IN PARTICULAR CHANYEOL OMFG or was everything okay? Did anyone die? Have I lost any of my dear subbies? I hope I didn't kill any of you with EXO's IMMENSE INESS hotness. Author-ssi needs to be calm. I must calm myself. MUST CALM MYSELF. 

 

BUT EXCUSE ME. SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A HIGH SCHOOLER AS GOOD LOOKING AS THIS.

image

because they don't seem to exist where I live and it's kiiilling me. KEEEEEEEEEEEEELING ME.

Y CHANYEOL. Y DO U HAVE TO BE SO PERF. WHY?! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;( 

I promise to fangirl over someone else in the next update (if I don't, I give you all permission to virtually kick me) but I've drawn a few pictures of Chanyeol over the last few days (hence slow updates) for my summer art homework and now my obsession is growing and it's not good, not good at all.